Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Jet Li DVDs question

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Jet Li DVDs question

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-03, 04:57 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jet Li DVDs question

I'm looking for good prints of these DVDs any recommendations?

Tai Chi Master
Kung Fu Cult Master
Once Upon a Time in China and America
Swordsman 2

I'm looking for good print, good subtitles, proper aspect ratio etc. Thanks.
Old 04-25-03, 08:15 PM

http://www.dvd-basen.dk/uk/home.php3

http://www.asiandvdguide.com/

These two places should tell you what you want to know.
J
Old 04-26-03, 01:36 AM

credit goes to muldoon from the asian dvd guide:

"The only DVD of "Once Upon A Time In China And America" that is correctly letterboxed (with English subtitles) is the Thunder Media DVD. The Beam DVD is probably letterboxed correctly but it doesn't have English subtitles. "
Old 04-26-03, 06:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Good luck - none of those films have good DVD releases. The HK discs were good enough for me - if they ever re-release any of these films, I'm certainly upgrading though. OUATICA is one that I have already double dipped - the China Star version has a good picture, but the subtitles are screwed up... they come late. Tai Chi Master and Swordsman 2 (I think) have US releases in English dub with decent transfer of shoddy print. Kung Fu Cult Master might never see the light of day again - I'd pick it up. Those films are cheap anyway except for OUATICA... dddhouse.com
Old 04-26-03, 07:29 AM
Cool New Member

re: Jet Li dvd

Thanks guys for the reply. It just that I've seen the region 1 English Dub versions of Tai Chi Master (Twin Warriors) and Legend of the Swordsman (Swordsman 2) and I just can't believe how good the print is compare to the HK releases but its dub!!! That sucks big time. Disney has got to be one of the stupidest company I know. I think they take for granted the true fans of Hong Kong Cinema. I have no clue who they're marketing these releases for.
Old 04-26-03, 02:09 PM

if you can wait a few months Mei Ah will be re-releasing Swordsman 2 with anamorphic video and DTS soundtrack
Old 04-27-03, 02:11 AM

Re: re: Jet Li dvd

Originally posted by Cyberpunk3000
Disney has got to be one of the stupidest company I know. I think they take for granted the true fans of Hong Kong Cinema. I have no clue who they're marketing these releases for.
Idiots like themselves. And people who don't know how to get the real versions.
Old 04-27-03, 04:00 PM

Re: Re: re: Jet Li dvd

Originally posted by Numskull
Idiots like themselves. And people who don't know how to get the real versions.
But these people aren't really interested in these movies. There are people who prefer the dubs and cuts, but those people would really prefer Vin Diesel to Jet Li. There is a small market of people who would really like to have these films, yet the releases don't appeal to us. There is a large marke of people who aren't interested in these films, yet that is who they are targeting.
Old 04-28-03, 09:58 AM

I am a big Jet Li fan and have the Disney and HK releases of his movies. I actually prefer the Disney ones for the better transfers.
I don't really care about dubbing or the few cuts that were made. They're still fun movies to watch, but still won't ever be considered Oscar-worthy regardless of which version.