Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Region-free players: XY scaling vs. decent interlaced performance

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Region-free players: XY scaling vs. decent interlaced performance

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-03, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Region-free players: XY scaling vs. decent interlaced performance?

Trying to decide what DVD player to get now that my Toshiba 6109c DVD player/receiver has died.

I’ve only got a 29-inch standard TV for now, and have been using a 3-channel front mix (TV + stereo speakers) that I’m not unhappy with yet… I’ve already got my new receiver.

VCD is a must, as is progressive scan... I’m very excited by the multi-region, PAL to NTSC capabilities, and XY scaling of the Malata 520… Now, my only use for scaling at the moment would be to combat overscan – not a necessity, certainly… But as I get a few PAL discs under my belt, and eventually get a 16x9 set, I know I’d use it more… I have lots of non-amamorphic DVDs, and lots of 4x3 discs… I keep hearing how people love the scaling, and would never go back to a player without it… I love the idea of having all that flexibility, and it sounds fun to play with…

But I’m worried about that mediamatics chip – it’s got a bad reputation with interlaced video, supposedly quite bad with 408i in general and old video in particular… I watch a ton of those old A&E video DVDs…

I should note I don't actually have any non-R1 discs yet, but I'd love to buy lots of British discs... So many tradeoffs...

Is the 520 really that sucky with interlaced? What non-scaling player would be best for interlaced now/progressive later? Should I give up the scaling for better 408i results?

Is there any player that can give me both?

Last edited by adamblast; 02-19-03 at 12:23 AM.
Old 02-20-03, 03:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Mediamatics chipset is the only one capable of delivering pixel-level scaling capabilities. Jaton and Malata Mediamatics players are the only ones that have implemented it. Before I got my new progressive TV at home, I used a 520 as my primary machine. I never had any problems with it at all. That's just my personal experience. I would suggest you check out the following FAQ:

http://www.geocities.com/regioncodefree/mediamatics/

If you plan on upgrading your monitor in the future, you probably need a Mediamatics machine. Infinite zoom and XY scaling are incredibly useful for scaling non-animorphic letterboxed DVDs on a widescreen. Generally monitors that accept component input don't allow on board scaling. So XY scaling and infinite zoom allows you to blow the image up to fit the screen exactly with no overscan. Also, the Mediamatics chip was designed for progressive scan and I haven't seen a machine that has a better progressive picture.

If you don't plan on upgrading your monitor, you might consider one of the new ESS machines like the Malata 566 or Sampo 612N and they both correctly convert PAL, while at the same time doing interlace slightly better.

Regards,
Jeff
HKFLIX.com
Old 02-20-03, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Thanks Jeff...

I'm definitely upgrading my monitor before too long... So I guess I'll be going with the 520...

It's a drag that video-PAL is so bad, though... Part of my all-region dream was for getting alot of older BBC stuff, like Dr. Who...

Question: Is the XY scaling reset (when player turned off) really a problem? Do people just leave the player on all the time? I'm wondering whether the VGA model with standby is worth the wait...

Is the new standby mode just a function of the new remote? Any chance I could purchase a black 520 and remote with standby?
Old 02-20-03, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally posted by HKFLIXdotcom
Also, the Mediamatics chip was designed for progressive scan and I haven't seen a machine that has a better progressive picture.
I'm a huge fan of my old Malata 996, but as far as progressive scan performance goes any player with the Faroudja chipset will be vastly superior to the Mediamatics.

Unfortunately, at current there are no players that incorporate both Faroudja deinterlacing and scaling at the same time. This is expected to change in the near future.

Region-free players like the Malata are great, but I would personally not choose to use one as my primary DVD player. It is worth the money to keep two DVD players on hand, one for dedicated Region 1 playback and the other for multi-region titles.
Old 02-22-03, 09:39 AM

Hey, www.michaeldvd.com.au always rates PAL DVDs as better than NTSC ones because of picture. Yet I keep reading about how bad the conversion can be yada yada.

So I'm also thinking of buying two DVD players but I figure I should buy a PAL player for the best performance.

Decisions, decisions!
Old 02-22-03, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

...ahh... PAL players ... while most are indeed able to convert NTSC to PAL, they can not convert PAL to NTSC... which is what you need them to do if you live in an NTSC country, such as the USA, Canada, Korea, Japan...

. . . . . .

Last edited by Hendrik; 02-22-03 at 12:59 PM.
Old 02-22-03, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Josh Z
Region-free players like the Malata are great, but I would personally not choose to use one as my primary DVD player. It is worth the money to keep two DVD players on hand, one for dedicated Region 1 playback and the other for multi-region titles.
That is what I do. I use a Samsung DVD-M301 for my dedicated R1 playing and my JVC-SA602SL for all my PAL and other region needs.
Old 02-22-03, 06:55 PM

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts
why 2 players?

this is a common comment I read a lot - only use the multi-region player for non-region 1 discs.

Why? i don't understand this logic.. My multi-region plays region 1 fine - why in the world would I want to juggle back and forth between 2 dvd players?

What am I missing here?
Old 02-22-03, 07:02 PM

Re: why 2 players?

Originally posted by cinemaman
this is a common comment I read a lot - only use the multi-region player for non-region 1 discs.

Why? i don't understand this logic.. My multi-region plays region 1 fine - why in the world would I want to juggle back and forth between 2 dvd players?

What am I missing here?
I'm also using 2 players, the reason I'm doing that is because the region-free player is expensive and the video quality is not as good as my the other player.
Old 02-22-03, 07:52 PM

JVC SA600, any thoughts on the pal to ntsc conversion on this player?
Thanks
Old 02-22-03, 09:56 PM

I have the JVC 500 -- It does the PAL-NTSC just fine, in fact, I can't tell any difference in picture quality between the two...
Old 02-22-03, 10:33 PM

Originally posted by mshields
I have the JVC 500 -- It does the PAL-NTSC just fine, in fact, I can't tell any difference in picture quality between the two...
You think the video quality is same on every DVD player?
Old 02-23-03, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Re: why 2 players?

Originally posted by cinemaman

What am I missing here?
Even the best multi-region players tend to have picture quality and often build quality inferior to what you can get dedicated for Region 1.

I love my Malata for everything it can do, but its picture is flat and dull compared to my other Denon machine. Its progressive scan deinterlacing is also not nearly as good.