Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

One & only Malata 520 advice thread

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

One & only Malata 520 advice thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-02, 07:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have Some Questions about Malata 520

Okay, so I am considering geting a Malata 520 player to watch mostley region 2 PAL stuff, what I want to know is how easy is it do so with the player do I just put in a region 2 disk and it works or do I have to put in the aspect ratio, is the PAL to NTSC conversion going to look good on widescreen? I am mostley intrested in full screen TV shows from the UK will these play okay or are there going to be any problems with them to like a squish? Sorry for all the questions but I want everything to look good.
Old 08-04-02, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I own the player, and have been buying Brit Coms and other shows from the UK, and they look fantastic. Many of their new shows are all in anamorphic widescreen, and the Malata handles the conversion perfectly. I do notice that sometimes if there are several horizontal lines on the screen, like blinds on a window in the background, they look a little wierd, but that's minor to me, and a very small complaint on a great player.
Old 08-05-02, 06:42 PM

DVP-520 newbie questions

Hi all -

I just purchased the DVP-520. I have trolled all the Malata threads, but can't find the answer to some basic questions. Any help would be appreciated!

1 - Is there a way to turn the player on/off with the remote? I tried "Eject" and "Play" but they don't seem to work?

2 - What device code should I use to program a One-For-All remote for the 520?

3 - Is there a way to autoresume position after power cycling? Or do I have to use "stop", leave the power on, and then "resume"?

4 - What is the Parental Control default password? "3308" didn't work.

5 - How can I display the title/chapter elapsed/remain time on the front panel or screen? The panel only shows chapter # and elapsed time. "Info" displays chapter elapsed and remain time on the screen, but it fills up the whole screen with other stuff.

6 - What is the best link for up-to-date flash upgrade version info?

7 - What is the link for information on the 90-day labor/1 yr parts warranty?

8 - Since the DVP-520 is dual-voltage, can I just plug it in a European 220V outlet with the proper adapter? Or do I need to set a switch or jumper first?

9 - Is there a 520-specific FAQ out there somewhere? A lot of the info out there is 996-specific (references expert menu which is not on 520, different glitches, etc).
Old 08-11-02, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: DVP-520 newbie questions

Originally posted by DylanDog
1 - Is there a way to turn the player on/off with the remote? I tried "Eject" and "Play" but they don't seem to work?
I can only assume that the DVP-520 cannot be turned off remotely - though I'm dying to know if anyone has figured out any tricks, barring a long stick.

The player is fantastic but the lack of the power button is a mild irritance. The eject button is a completely useless remote control feature and it boggles my mind that they decided to forego a power button while adding eject. Oi!

The only other mildly irritating point I can think of with the Malata is the horrible remote layout - but once you get used to it, it's really not worth mentioning.

Anyway, sorry I couldn't help you DylanDog, but I'm with you in wanting an answer for remote power on/off. Anyone?

-matt
Old 08-12-02, 08:50 AM

Malata DVP-520 on 240V power?

The specs for the Malata DVP-520 on HKflix indicate that this player should be able to handle being plugged into a european (230-240V) supply. I've just received this player, however, and the back panel and instruction manual say 120V only.

Which is it? Will I blow up the player if I plug it into my 240V power supply?
Old 08-13-02, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

OK, I just got this player today (Malata 520). I've hooked up the components inputs to the corresponding inputs. But I need help on setup though:

What TV signal system do I choose? I set it to AUTO for now.

Also, is there a setting I have to enable to make the player region free or is it region free now (can't test on region 2 disks right now since theyre' with a friend).

I chose TV Type to be 16:9 since I have a WS HDTV (should I set it to 4:3 letterbox?).

Do I need to change any 'speaker setup' settings at all, since I'm using a coaxial digital cable to connect to my receiver?

What the heck is audio dynamic range?

MOST IMPORTANT QUESTION:
In the video output setting, which one do I choose? There are 3 options given:

1: CVBS Y C CVBS
2: CVBS Y Cb Cr/Y Y Pb Pr
3: CVBS G B R

I only want to connect component cables to the dvd player (and nothing else). So which would I choose? Would it better to have S-video cables when I'm watching PAL anamorphic dvd's or should I leave the component cables in place for those dvds?

Video Mode: I heard that to watch anamorphic NTSC dvds, I should set this to Movie and when I want to watch anamorphic PAL dvds, I should set this to Still. Is that correct? What should I set it to if I'm watching a non-anamorphic dvd (either PAL or NTSC)?

Scan Type: I figure this should be on Progressive.

I just checked; my firmware is indeed the latest one (says May 30 2002).

Also I played LOTR for a while and I could actually see the scan lines in most scenes. Is that normal? I don't remember seeing them on my Samsung prog. scan. player.
Thanks guys

Last edited by huzefa; 08-13-02 at 02:43 PM.
Old 08-13-02, 05:31 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

No, AUTO is for Multi Standard TV's. Choose NTSC.
Old 08-13-02, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Matt Stevens
No, AUTO is for Multi Standard TV's. Choose NTSC.
Done. Any reply to the other questions?
Old 08-14-02, 04:04 AM

MALATA Multi-Voltage

The back panel and instruction manual is incorrect. We have many customers in Europe and had had no complaints or problems so far. This unit was designed for worldwide use, but to pass USA regulations and get UL listed, I guess they didn't want to hype the multi-voltage capabilities on units shipped to the USA. We have changed our Malata product page on HKFLIX.com to reflect the fact that the instruction manual and back panel of the case is incorrect.

Jeff ([email protected])
HKFLIX.COM
Old 08-15-02, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts
Has anyone contacted Malata to find out why they chose not to include a standby button with the DVP-520? Or maybe there's a way no one's figured out?

Cos I'm really looking forward to this player but no standby mode sounds like a real let down.

BTW, is the black level of the Malata DVP-520 0IRE or 7.5IRE? Or are you able to switch between the two black levels?
Old 09-08-02, 02:58 PM

Side question--

Just got my Malata 520 about a week ago and was watching The Bodyguard (r4) and Dead Poet's Society (r4)...and also Delicatessen (r2).

In the leterbox foramt, all the black bars don't seem to be one straight line across the set. They are actaully kinda' moving up and down a bit. IS there something I can do about this?

BTW, I'm not using the progressive scan as my tv only has s-video input. IS there something to do? HELP???
Old 09-09-02, 08:31 AM
Cool New Member

Originally posted by Rupin
Side question--
In the leterbox foramt, all the black bars don't seem to be one straight line across the set. They are actaully kinda' moving up and down a bit. IS there something I can do about this?
Try the "Still" filter. It usually helps with that.

ficta
Old 09-16-02, 05:46 PM

Making the Malata 520 Region Selective

Not sure if anyone has already posted this. But it is news to me, so I thought I'd share it. To make the Malata region selective, do the following:

1. Hold the clear button (on the remote) for 5 seconds. The monitor should turn blue or go blank.
2. Key in the region code.
3. Hold clear button again for another 5 seconds.
4. The DVD player should be set to that region only.
5. To reset to all region mode, power down, power up.

Useful for defeating RCE.

Also of note is that our JVC 500 series can now go into R0 mode. Push "0" and "Enter" when in standby. The 600 series uses the same proceedure.

Regards,
Jeff
HKFLIX.com
Old 09-27-02, 10:27 AM

No dialog track on Malata520?

Not sure if this is a function of my (recently bought) Malata or of the DVD, but...

Bought a Malata DVP-520 and a copy of "Shaolin Soccer". The spoken dialog goes away about five minutes into the movie, although the rest of the soundtrack (footsteps, music, doors opening and closing, coins hitting a table, etc) remains while the characters move their lips without emitting sound. DVD works fine, including spoken dialog, on my computer DVD player, which makes me inclined to think that it's a problem with the player rather than the DVD.

Played with various settings on the setup menu for the Malata, with no luck.

Anyone seen this problem before? Any help?

Eric
Old 09-27-02, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 256 Likes on 181 Posts
Edberge, how do you have the player connected to your TV or receiver?
Old 09-27-02, 01:19 PM

No Dialog track on Malata520?

>Edberge, how do you have the player connected to your TV or >receiver?

Hooked up to the TV. Are you suggesting that this has something to do with my speaker configuration? I played with that a bit last night with no success. Also, why would the first few minutes of the DVD have audible dialog, and nothing thereafter? It is a puzzlement.

Eric
Old 09-27-02, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The Malatas have internal Dolby Digital decoders. If you are just using the L/R analog outputs and none of the others, you must set the DVD player for "Stereo" only. In the speaker selection menu screens, turn off all speakers except for the front left and right.

Otherwise the machine thinks that you have connected all 6 analog outputs and it sends the dialogue to the center channel speaker, which you are missing. When you tell it that you have only 2 speakers, it downmixes the Dolby Digital 5.1 track into 2 channels and you should regain your sound.

As far as why the first few minutes have audible dialogue, that particular disc might have the dialogue mixed into all three front speakers for the beginning of the movie, but then it reverts to a standard center-channel dialogue track for the later scenes.
Old 09-27-02, 11:09 PM

>The Malatas have internal Dolby Digital decoders. If you are just
>using the L/R analog outputs and none of the others, you must
>set the DVD player for "Stereo" only. In the speaker selection
>menu screens, turn off all speakers except for the front left and
>right.

Ah! That worked. Thank you.

Eric
Old 09-28-02, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by edberge
Ah! That worked. Thank you.
Glad to hear it!

(Pun intended.)
Old 09-28-02, 05:01 PM

HKFLIX responses

That missing dialogue issue is the most common question we get. It should be more prominently mentioned in the manual.

About these questions, I'll try to answer as best I can:

No, this feature was removed from the 520 because the standby feature contributed to the overheating problem on the 996.

2 - What device code should I use to program a One-For-All remote for the 520?

I very much doubt there are codes for the Malata. We'll be carrying a Sony Universal learning remote with touch screen very shortly for a reasonable price. This will be compatible with the 520.

3 - Is there a way to autoresume position after power cycling? Or do I have to use "stop", leave the power on, and then "resume"?

There is no standby or memory feature unfortunately. I have suggested this to Malata. I want them to have a memory feature that can remember multiple settings.

4 - What is the Parental Control default password? "3308" didn't work.

I think it is "1999"

5 - How can I display the title/chapter elapsed/remain time on the front panel or screen? The panel only shows chapter # and elapsed time. "Info" displays chapter elapsed and remain time on the screen, but it fills up the whole screen with other stuff.

Not sure on this one. I'll check with Malata.

6 - What is the best link for up-to-date flash upgrade version info?

www.hkflix.com. The last firmware update was MAY.

7 - What is the link for information on the 90-day labor/1 yr parts warranty?

This is a warranty through HKFLIX. Contact me if you have any questions.

8 - Since the DVP-520 is dual-voltage, can I just plug it in a European 220V outlet with the proper adapter? Or do I need to set a switch or jumper first?

Just plug it into the plug adapter and plug that in and you're all set.

9 - Is there a 520-specific FAQ out there somewhere? A lot of the info out there is 996-specific (references expert menu which is not on 520, different glitches, etc).

I'm working on compiling something. It should be available in a month or so. Malata removed the expert menu from the 520 because there were too many non-experts using them. It was a support nightmare.

Regards,
Jeff ([email protected])
HKFLIX.com
Old 10-14-02, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts
Re: HKFLIX responses

Originally posted by HKFLIXdotcom

No, this feature was removed from the 520 because the standby feature contributed to the overheating problem on the 996.
Well that answers one of my questions but you still haven't answered this: is the black level of the Malata DVP-520 0IRE or 7.5IRE? Or are you able to switch between the two black levels?

Oh and BTW, since I'm only (for now) going to be using a 4:3 interlaced NTSC television (using S-Video as that's the best connection my TV has), is it safe to assume that the x-y scaling would be of not use to me (other than for eliminating overscan)? Which brings me to my next question: how comparable is the JVC XV-S500/502 to the Malata DVP-520? By this I mean it's handling of multiple regions, it's PAL to NTSC conversion quality and its overall video quality.
Old 10-14-02, 02:40 PM

The JVC XV-S500 is very comparable to the 520. It's MOVIE filter isn't quite as good as the STILL filter on the MALATA, but the difference is very small. The overall picture quality is almost exactly the same. The Malata is set to all-regions. If you want to make it region selective, you need to hold down the CLEAR button for a few seconds, punch in the desired region, then hold the CLEAR button again. The unit resets after being powered down. The JVC on the other hand saves the region code (or all-region mode) in memory after it is set (until it is unplugged at least!).

Regards,
Jeff
HKFLIX
Old 10-26-02, 09:57 PM
Cool New Member

I have a malata 520 on order from hkflix and had a question about hooking it up. If I want to hook up both the 5.1 optical out and connect it to the normal L R audio jacks on my tv what all do I need to do in the setup menu? I want to do this because if it is late at night I don't want to wake up everyone else by using the 5.1 sound. Thanks!
Old 12-16-02, 12:32 PM
Banned

OK...back to me...

i just watched Panic room on my malata last night. It really looks like $hit to be quite honest with you.

It's almost like there's macroblocking throughout the entire thing. Even on solid images like walls or peoples faces, it's just constantly moving.

I never had this problem with my previous player and i've jiggled the wires and even dealt with the different filters.

I also still have the problem with the "reds" where there are obvious lines running up the screen.

Also, has anyone ever noticed that if you put it on 16x9 for output, it will stretch the image regardless of whether the master material is anamorphic or not? It did it on Office Space, the Home Alone movies, Patriot Games, etc. All are non-anamorphic but all were stretched when i put it on 16x9.

Can ANYONE help me? I really feel like I got a bum machine and I'm annoyed because it seems like no one has an answer for me.
Is this the way it's supposed to look?

Malataman or hkflix...ya out there?
Old 12-16-02, 01:18 PM

Originally posted by digitalfreaknyc
OK...back to me...

i just watched Panic room on my malata last night. It really looks like $hit to be quite honest with you.

It's almost like there's macroblocking throughout the entire thing. Even on solid images like walls or peoples faces, it's just constantly moving.

I never had this problem with my previous player and i've jiggled the wires and even dealt with the different filters.

I also still have the problem with the "reds" where there are obvious lines running up the screen.

Also, has anyone ever noticed that if you put it on 16x9 for output, it will stretch the image regardless of whether the master material is anamorphic or not? It did it on Office Space, the Home Alone movies, Patriot Games, etc. All are non-anamorphic but all were stretched when i put it on 16x9.

Can ANYONE help me? I really feel like I got a bum machine and I'm annoyed because it seems like no one has an answer for me.
Is this the way it's supposed to look?

Malataman or hkflix...ya out there?
What model?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.