Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

One & only Malata 520 advice thread

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

One & only Malata 520 advice thread

Old 12-16-02, 01:49 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lol

Old 12-16-02, 03:46 PM

Originally posted by digitalfreaknyc
OK...back to me...

i just watched Panic room on my malata last night. It really looks like $hit to be quite honest with you.

It's almost like there's macroblocking throughout the entire thing. Even on solid images like walls or peoples faces, it's just constantly moving.

Ok first off there is no such thing as microblocking someone made that term up to refer to what is known as pixilation. What you are talking about sounds like a bad cable or tv or it may be the player .

I never had this problem with my previous player and i've jiggled the wires and even dealt with the different filters.

I also still have the problem with the "reds" where there are obvious lines running up the screen.

again bad cable,tv,or player

Also, has anyone ever noticed that if you put it on 16x9 for output, it will stretch the image regardless of whether the master material is anamorphic or not? It did it on Office Space, the Home Alone movies, Patriot Games, etc. All are non-anamorphic but all were stretched when i put it on 16x9.

If you tell the player you have a 16x9 tv and you have a 4x3 the picture WILL look stretched (anamorphic has nothing to do with it)

Can ANYONE help me? I really feel like I got a bum machine and I'm annoyed because it seems like no one has an answer for me.
Is this the way it's supposed to look?

Malataman or hkflix...ya out there?
Old 12-16-02, 10:48 PM
Banned

malataman...

you quoted...and didn't respond.
Old 12-23-02, 10:33 AM

problem with Malata 520

On several anamorphic movies that i've watched on this player, the bottom of the screen is distorted. Most recently, there was a thin line of discoloration all the way across the very bottom of the screen during the entire run of one movie. Also, there was some distortion. It was not apparant when the camera was still, but you could see objects distorting when the camera panned down especially. Then when i stopped the movie, the malata logo was distorted. It did not fill the entire length of the screen, it was approximately a 4:3 image. at the very bottom, the edges of the logo flared out a little.
I was watching on a widescreen tv, with the Malata set to progressive, and a 16:9 monitor type.
anyone know what's wrong?
Old 12-23-02, 11:15 AM
Mod Emeritus

Off-topic

Just a reminder that we have this thread for specific Malata 520 queries, another for Malata queries/problems relating to other/earlier models and this longstanding series of threads for looking at all of the region free options: Malata and beyond: discussing Region-Free DVD player options [PART 6]

The idea is to keep the expertise in one place, so far as possible, and to avoid unnecessary repetition. Each thread is probably worth bookmarking if you have a continuing interest.

Benedict
Moderator, International DVD Talk
Old 01-03-03, 03:07 PM

bump. can anyone help with my problem 2 posts above?
Old 01-05-03, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Malata and Hindi dvds

I'm trying to watch anamorphic all-region Hindi dvds. But the movies are never in widescreen. They're envelope-boxed (aka black bars on all 4 sides). This only happens on Hindi all-region dvd's. I've tried dvds by DEI and EROS. Anyone else have this problem? How do I fix it? Can I 'extend' the screen to fill the whole tv? I have a WS HDTV. Thx

H
Old 01-06-03, 10:04 AM

If you have black bars on all four sides they are not anamorphic. Use the zoom feature to fill the screen, and x-y scaling to fine tune.

James
Old 01-06-03, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by kngelv
If you have black bars on all four sides they are not anamorphic. Use the zoom feature to fill the screen, and x-y scaling to fine tune.

James
The reason I say it's anamorphic is because it says so on the case. But who knows, they might be lying.

That said, when I play the dvd in my regular dvd player, it only has bars on the top and bottom (not on the sides). These bars are probably due to aspect ratio.
Old 01-06-03, 06:31 PM

The reason there are bars on all four sides is that the Malata scales non-anamorphic in the proper ratio. The dimensions of the actual picture are correct. It would not scale properly on a 16:9 set otherwise. The Malata is one of the few players that can do this. Try playing them in your regular DVD player and see if the picture loooks squashed when using the sets full mode. If there is no problem there, make sure your set up is correct on the Malata. What movies are you having the issues with?

James
Old 01-06-03, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

What do you mean when you say 'the Malata scales non-anamorphic in the proper ratio'? The aspect ratio of the actual picture looks correct (is that the same as the dimensions?). In my regular player, the dvd plays with bars on the top and bottom (I don't know why though because it says it's an anamorphically enhanced dvd). The movie is called Kaante made by www.erosentertainment.com. It's a hindi film.
Old 01-08-03, 04:29 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

95% of the HDTV's out there force all 480p signals into 16X9 mode, so the Malata corrects the squeeze your TV is giving the non-16X9 signal. Now just use the ZOOM function to bring the picture in. Nothing is wrong with what you are seeing. Just Zoom in and enjoy.