Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Godzilla, Mothra, King Ghidorah DVD found - legit or not?

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Old 09-04-02, 07:41 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I found these guys selling imports of GMK - Giant Monsters All Out Attack! <small>URL deleted</small>

I was wondering if anyone had heard if this was a legitimate release? DVD, right? Not a VCD?

The region 0 Hong Kong releases always sends up a red flag in these matters - and yet I hold out hope, because there was a R0 HK release of Godzilla X Megaguirus that was - much to my surprise - a legit copy.

Thoughts?

Last edited by benedict; 09-05-02 at 12:52 PM.
Old 09-04-02, 10:07 PM

The non-removable English subs, coupled with the dubious covers, make me think these guys got a hold of a screener tape with English subs and used it to make DVDs. If this were legit, people would be all over it, because all sorts of places would have it.
Old 09-04-02, 10:54 PM
Suspended

Although I do have to admit that there are a LOT of extras for a bootleg - if thats what this is. In my experiance, I've found that boots usualy only have the movie, some kind of basic front end menu, chapters and that's about it. To include trailers, TV spots and makings of (plus "a whole lot more") seems a bit above and beyond for a boot.
Old 09-05-02, 01:13 AM

You haven't seen many bootlegs then.

DVD-R 2.0 Format

Thats a monolithic clue that it is a bootleg. Not a single licensed distributor on the planet sells their product on DVD-R's.
Old 09-05-02, 08:43 AM

I didn't even see the DVD-R listing. That would certainly clinch it. Does anyone know if an HK release for GMK is planned? I have the Japanese 3 disc set, but wouldn't mind a cheap version with subs if it becomes available.