Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

If you enjoyed the movie "Gandhi" I highly recommend.....

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

If you enjoyed the movie "Gandhi" I highly recommend.....

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-02, 11:06 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
that thread title is ok for me....

About Dil Vil Pyar Vyar - it's definately a must watch! It's really a homage to the late great Indian composer R.D. Burman and uses 14 of his greatest hits in the film. If you guys like music at all then you'll probably LOVE this movie as all of the songs are top class. And even though the new singers aren't as good as the original ones, they do a good enough cover for the most part. Last but not least - the sound of the dvd is in FANTASTIC DD 5.1 and it's a blast to see the newcomers dancing and singing to some of the greatest hits of the 70's and 80's. This film is worth watching for any nostalgic Bollywood fan and it will bring a whole new generation to the music of R.D. Burman. Don't miss it!

And yeah, the girls are pretty cute (especially the girl who keeps appearing in the flashback scene - Riya Sen). Hrishita's not bad either and flixtime you'll be happy to know that she has one of the more major roles in the movie.

Last edited by darius; 10-29-02 at 11:08 PM.
Old 11-02-02, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had a chance to watch Dil Vil Pyar Vyar. My take on the film is going to be a little different from DVDTalker darius's due in great part to our different backgrounds (as regular readers of this thread know, darius has a rich background in the viewing of Hindi films, while I am a relative newcomer to Bollywood films). With that said, I am certain everything darius mentioned in his earlier review is right on target.

As a newcomer to Bollywood films, I am not familiar with the work of R.D. Burman whose music forms the framework of this film. But let me start at the beginning, this film is the story of 4 "couples". Couple number one is a husband & wife singing team, next we have a just developing boyfriend/girlfriend pair, third is a brother/sister pair (with the brother still coping with the untimely death of his wife), and last is another brother/sister pair (with the brother being confined to a wheel chair). I very much enjoyed the first half hour of this film and figured I had another fun, light-hearted, and highly entertaining film on my hands (sort of like Yeh Hai Jalwa which I reviewed earlier). Though not knowing much about the film Dil Vil Pyar Vyar, I did sort of expect a light-hearted entertainer. I thought that after the first half hour the film started to bog down due in great part to a shift in focus from the boyfriend/girlfriend storyline to the husband & wife singing team storyline. I found the storyline of these two singers to be rather dull with not much happening. I found myself eagerly anticipating the cuts to the other 2 storylines (boyfriend/girlfriend, and the 2 brother/sister pairs whose characters came together and thereby had one storyline). Also the movie is a little too somber with 3 of the 4 couples having somewhat of a downbeat/serious tone to their stories. The first song is the film is a fun & extravagant song & dance number but most of the other songs are more slow/intermediate paced. This combined with the plotline (more drama than comedy) made the film drag at times. The last 25 minutes or so is good and moves along quite well to a satisfying conclusion. In my opinion the film is worthy of a rental but I wouldn't go so far as to recommend a buy.

I really wish they had focused more on the boyfriend/girlfriend pairing (Jimmy Shergil, Hrishita Bhatt, and especially their familes (Shergil's father & uncle and Bhatt's parents & relatives). I very much enjoyed the performances by the actors who played their family members. I certainly felt camera time could have been cut from the husband & wife singers and shifted to the other couples in the film. The film starts of giving you an idea that the Shergil/Bhatt story is going to take precedence but after about 1/2 hour, their story slips behind the husband & wife singers (Note: I don't recall the name of the actress who played the wife but she was gorgeous (Hrishita Bhatt and all the other women in the film made the film much easier to enjoy when the plot started to slow things down)). In hindsight maybe I should appreciate more that they managed to make a decent film when locked into the idea that they had to incorporate the particular songs they chose. I wonder if in R.D. Burman's body of music if there weren't some more upbeat songs which could have been used thereby allowing the plot to be altered a little more towards comedy than drama. Anway, as I mentioned earlier I am a novice when it comes to Hindi music so do keep in mind darius's prior review as well.

Actually, its kind of nice that we have - among others - both a veteran (darius) and a rookie (me) posting their thoughts on the same films as I would guess followers of this thread could also be divided into one of those two - veteran/rookie - broad categories.

Hopefully next up for me - maybe later in the week - will be Sanjay Dutt's gangster film - Hathyar.

And with that, how about - as discussed - we bring this thread to an "unoffical close" and move our discussion to a new [PART 2] thread. The link to [PART 2] follows:

Bollywood-Hindi-Indian films [PART 2]

Last edited by flixtime; 11-02-02 at 04:58 PM.