Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

If you enjoyed the movie "Gandhi" I highly recommend.....

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

If you enjoyed the movie "Gandhi" I highly recommend.....

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-02, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hello bjv and thanks for the recommendations. I've only heard of 5 of the films on your list; I'll look up the others.

I had a chance to see Awara Paagal Deewana which has been mentioned earlier in this thread. Personally, I did not really care for it and would have to rank it in the lower half of Hindi films I've seen. I can understand why it did well in India but as an American I was not entertained. I liked the initial scene with Om Puri but it went down hill after that. A couple of early action scenes that were poor and/or direct rip-offs of the Matrix (was this the film roger_d referred too earlier?) and Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon did not hold my interest. Bollywood does a lot of borrowing from Hollywood, sometimes it works for me and sometimes it doesn't, this time "no". Unimpressive musical numbers in the first half of the film. It also copied some elements of the Bruce Willis film "The Whole Nine Yards", a film that I also did not care for. Too many dumb/annoying/unsympathetic characters (the father-in-law, Johnny Lever, Sunil Shetty, the dental receptionist, etc.). I didn't "buy" Akshay Kumar and Sunil Shetty in their roles altough I have enjoyed them in other films. Again, being American, I was bothered by the apparent existence of a mountainous desert somewhere in the New York City suburbs (I'm by no means an expert on the NYC suburbs but I don't think this type of landscape exists there), and the poor on-screen representations (false-looking) of NYC police and police vehicles. Also, it looked that a lot of the interiors while supposedly being the inside of American locations were more like the inside of Indian homes (as seen in other Hindi movies).

Interesting to note since this is a recent film, are the numerous and I found "jarring" shots of the World Trade Centers. I am not of the school that all WTC shots should be digitally removed from films especially since most films have shots of the WTC that are just "incidental" to the action on screen. But in this film, quite often in the beginning, the WTC is the "star" of the scene, sort of like the director is trying to say "see we spent alot of money on this film, see we really are in NYC, see there is the WTC". Well, at least that is what it looked like to me and I found distracting and it took me "out" of the film.

The 2nd half was a little better (better musical numbers and better action scenes) but all-in-all a disappointment. A big-budget, Summer-blockbuster type of movie for the Indian market that I don't think translates well for foreign (at least American) viewership.

On the other hand, I finally had a chance to see the film Pushpak which I mentioned early on in this thread. Just a correction, I mentioned earlier it was a silent film but it is actually more appropriately described as a dialogue-free film as their are constant sound effects, background music, etc. in the film. To my pleasant surprise given my earlier inquiry as to his body of work, Kamal Hasaan stars in this film from the late 80's. At times, this film reminded me of the Mr. Bean TV skits/movie that people might be familiar with. Hasaan plays a sort of hapless/sad-sack character who by happenstance stumbles upon romance and other goings-on in every-day urban India. Hasaan sure looked different in this film as compared to Hey Ram! With a run-time of approx. 2 hours and 5 minutes, Pushpak managed to hold my interest throughout despite the lack of musical numbers and dialogue (it was nice not having to read subtitles for once). I'd certainly recommend it. It seems that there are some "veteran" Hindi film fans here, anyone else have a chance to see this film? What were your thoughts?
Old 08-16-02, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

For those that might be interested, following is a link to an article found at ABCNews.com. It's just a few details on an upcoming Bollywood/Hollywood film collaboration starring Salman Khan and a yet to be announced American actress. The film will be directed by an American and will be done in both Hindi and English.

Marigold starring Salman Khan
Old 08-22-02, 10:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thought I'd chime in and give the thread a bump while I'm at it!

I've also been enjoying Bollywood films for the past few months, though I often don't have the time to watch the entire film in one sitting, what with the three hour running times

I really enjoyed Jewel Thief (1967) with Dev Anand. The story is pretty confusing in the middle, though that's probably due as much to the terrible subtitles. And the print is in very rough shape. But overall, the experience was very enjoyable. He's an appealing actor and it was fun to watch him play the suave secret agent/jewel thief. The wardrobe is a very odd mix of Indian and 60s American, and the music was great, too.

I've also purchased Sholay (about half-way through watching it at this point), Satya, and have Amar Akbar Anthony and Dil Chahta Hai on order.

I hope we can keep this thread going. I'm enjoying reading everyone's recommendations and opinions!
Old 08-23-02, 09:09 AM

jmcnally, if u like Dev Anand, then you must watch "Guide". Based on R. K. Narayan's classic story, this is one of the best examples of spirituality and redemptions in Hindi cinema. And Waheeda Rehman is gorgeous!

For people in New York, the first Indian movie to be nominated for an Oscar, Mother India, is playing at the Lincoln Center.

Chaver.

Last edited by chaver; 08-23-02 at 09:12 AM.
Old 08-25-02, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by jmcnally
Thought I'd chime in and give the thread a bump while I'm at it!

I've also been enjoying Bollywood films for the past few months, though I often don't have the time to watch the entire film in one sitting, what with the three hour running times

I really enjoyed Jewel Thief (1967) with Dev Anand. The story is pretty confusing in the middle, though that's probably due as much to the terrible subtitles. And the print is in very rough shape. But overall, the experience was very enjoyable. He's an appealing actor and it was fun to watch him play the suave secret agent/jewel thief. The wardrobe is a very odd mix of Indian and 60s American, and the music was great, too.

I've also purchased Sholay (about half-way through watching it at this point), Satya, and have Amar Akbar Anthony and Dil Chahta Hai on order.

I hope we can keep this thread going. I'm enjoying reading everyone's recommendations and opinions!
Hi jmcnally, it was a pleasant surprise seeing your comments in this thread. I've been tempted to post too but I figured 3 posts in a row from the same person would be a bit much (unless I prefaced them with "Dear Diary.....I really enjoyed the Hindi movie...." .). Anyway, deal me back in.

I've been meaning to watch Jewel Thief but can't seem to find a subtitled version at my local stores so it is on hold for now. I don't know if you'd be interested, but I understand their was a sequel Return of Jewel Thief. I don't know much about that film but perhaps you might be interested.

I know what you mean about trying to fit some of the longer Hindi films in one sitting. It's sometimes tough to find that big a chunk of time. Sometimes, I try and watch half before dinner and the other half after dinner.

If any of you are fans of The Seven Samurai/Magnificent Seven, you might want to check out China Gate which is the Hindi version of the story. I think it came out in 1998 but don't hold me to that. It stars Om Puri, Amrish Puri, Naseerudin Shah (sp?), and some other older Hindi film stars (11 instead of 7 this time). I was very pleasantly surprised at how entertaining the film was. It would be a film I will certainly add to my collection (that is, when I actually start a collection). Just one thing though, I don't think the DVD is in the film's OAR as it seemed that some image was cut off on the sides of the screen (kind of disappointing because I felt that "lost" image was necessary for a film like this where you might want to show all 11 guys on screen to convey a certain image; it's still not bad though). Also, despite its nearly 3-hour runtime there was only 1 song in the whole film (for those who don't care for too many songs interrupting the story). It does have English subtitles for those - like me - who require them.

Has anyone here seen Chhal? It's a new release gangster film with a relatively unknown cast (meaning no Salman Khan, Aamir Khan, Sanjay Dutt, Hrithik Roshan, Shahrukh Khan, etc.). I know it's a lot to expect but does it come anywhere close to Company/Satya?
Old 08-25-02, 03:43 PM
Cool New Member

Chhal is a very decent film which I think is up to the standards of Company and Satya. It's as gritty as those films, with alot of stylish directing tricks that Ram Gopal Verma, David Fincher and Wong Kar Wai like to employ (ie. jump cuts, weird camera angles, flash images, slow and fast motion, etc.) The story is also very powerful - it's about a cop who goes really deep undercover and then actually starts to like being a gangster. The violence is gritty but not as brutal as Satya, while there really isn't anything amazing depicted along the scale of Company. The acting is very solid aswell, especially by the two leads (the gangster and the cop). There are only 2 songs (and a title song over the credits) and the film is very short at 123 mins, for Bollywood.

This is a small yet stylish film but it works because of its story and acting. However the DVD is really crappy. The video is ok, yet cropped while the sound is absolutely bad 2.0 DD. The movie had some great stereo effects and I can only imagine how good a full 5.1 transfer would sound. Rent the film to watch the film, but I'm afraid this is the only release this film will get on DVD until a very long time.

About Return of Jewel Thief, I liked it quite a bit when I first saw it in theatres (the mid 90s). The movie is a good followup to the original, and builds upon the infamous twist of the first film. It plays out like a remake/rehash right up to the third act, when it goes off on a completely different direction. The acting is really good by Dev Anand, and I think the film was too loaded with stars like Dharmendra and Jackie Shroff. This is really Anand's film, but with the addition of two more leads, the story starts to lose its focus on the main character (until the third act of course).

One warning though - please watch the original before you watch it, because it does ruin some major surprises of the first film. And you'll probably be really confused for a major portion. And for those who have seen the original, yes the original bad guy has a MAJOR role in this film aswell.

I should mention a bit about the film as well - Dev Anand returns as his character from the first film, who's a rich person now. He gets the task of protecting some jewels (i think) which are coveted by everybody, including the original jewel thief who has just came out of jail. There's also a wannabe thief (Jackie Shroff) and a mysterious person (Dharmendra) lurking around. The jewels eventually get stolen and it's up to Anand's character, along with Shroff to figure it who stole it. Dharmendra keeps up with them along every step. There are lots of twists and turns around, and I can guarantee you won't be able to guess the identity of the thief. It's a great crime thriller with all the typical Bollywood elements. A bit cheezy perhaps, but very fun nonetheless.

As for the DVD of this sequel, I expect it would be a horrible transfer. I know this wasn't a successful film, so you could expect a cropped, non-anamorphic transfer with a pseudo 5.1 sound. But there will be subtitles. The film's definately worth a rental, but watch it first before you buy.

Last edited by darius; 08-25-02 at 03:47 PM.
Old 08-25-02, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

darius, thank you very much for the detailed feedback on Chhal, I had heard some good things about it and now with your comments I am very eager to see it (Satya and Company are two favorites of mine). I'd be surprised if Chhal is as good as Satya and Company but if it even comes anywhere close I'll be quite happy.

Also based on your and jmcnally's comments, finding subtitled copies of Jewel Thief & Return of Jewel Thief has just gotten bumped up my priority list. I hope I can find them locally without resorting to going online. I'll check back in after I watch any of the above - or sooner .
Old 08-31-02, 01:00 PM

Well, I just finished watching Kuch Kuch Hota Hai and I must say I really enjoyed it. Incredibly corny and full of impossible plot twists, nevertheless, the emotions were real, and I was totally moved. Not to mention that Kajol is an adorable actress!

Now, to follow it up. Should I watch Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge, or Karan Johar's latest Kabhi Khushi Kabhie Gham.... I have read reviews that were pretty negative of KKKG.

As an aside, and probably irrelevant: is Karan Johar gay? In the interviews and other extras on the DVD, he comes across that way. I'm just curious since he presents such a traditional view of Indian family values, and I wondered how he's accepted in Indian society.

Any Kajol stories (and other recommendations of her films) would also be welcome!
Old 08-31-02, 04:38 PM
Cool New Member

since you like Kajol so much (and who wouldn't!), you should probably pick up both right now, and then watch em in order (DDLJ, then K3G).

DDLJ is the finest film in the romantic comedy genre and if you lover Kuch Kuch, then you will surely like it. It was also the movie that made the Shahrukh Khan-Kajol pairing so popular that they're now in all the biggest blockbusters together. Both of them had great chemistry together, and the film is very entertaining (and very funny in the first half!). You will also get a chance to see Kajol act young, when she really was young.

In K3G, you'll get to see a more mature side of the actress (as she has grown finer with age) yet she's in superb comic form. The film is very glossy and I found it better than Kuch Kuch, just because it had everything (drama, romance, comedy) encompassed in one big movie (not to mention the huge cast). Kajol was surprisingly very hillarious in the film, and in my opinion deserved the best actress award (her 3rd win, with the other two being Kuch Kuch and DDLJ). Her chemistry with SRK is really good in this one, although the plot doesn't focus on their romance all that much. Also the songs are great and the acting is superb yet again.

People sort of trashed (but not much) K3G because it was an overblown drama/comedy that offered nothing new that other movies in the genre. But much like certain Hollywood blockbusters (ie Gladiator, Fast and the Furious, even XXX or the Austin Powers movies), it is a very well-made film. Since you are new to the genre, you won't be disappointed at all.

Is Karan Johar gay?? LOL, I was wondering that for years. It always seems that way on TV and interviews, yet he is supposedly dating Rani Mukherjee (!) - the other girl in Kuch Kuch. And he's actually in a supporting part in DDLJ (as one of SRK's pals) and he doesn't look gay there.

I think Karan is accepted as a talented filmmaker (which he is), but some people could laught at his mannerisms (which do seem to make him gay).

Kajol stories - well with Kuch Kuch, DDLJ, and K3G, you'll probably get her best works. If you want to see Kajol and SRK in an alltogether different kind of film, get "Baazigar". It's sort of like The Talented Mr. Ripley, with a bit of really hardcore ultraviolence at the end. It was a very popular thriller that made Kaajol a formidable actress (it was her 2nd film) and cemented SRK's reputation as a talented newcomer and a rising superstar. Of course DDLJ would make the two actors leading stars of their generation. Kaajol is gradually retiring from the industry since her marriage to actor Ajay Devgan (Company), and only does about one film a year (if even). Her next film will be with SRK for another one of those romantic blockbusters.

Oh and another cute Kaajol performance is in "Yeh Dillagi". It is the bollywood version of Sabrina, and Kaajol excels in the lead role. The film has a more modest budget than the above superhits, but it is a nice romance nonetheless. The songs are very good.

I believe both "Yeh Dillagi" and "Baazigar" are priced cheaply at Indiaweekly.com
Old 09-05-02, 12:41 PM

I finished watching Sholay a few days ago and while I enjoyed it, it didn't live up to the huge expectations I'd built up, hearing about it from so many people. Some of the later fighting scenes were actually pretty silly (Thakur flying through the air feet first, with his spikey shoes...). Having watched some other Indian films lately (Jewel Thief, Kuch Kuch Hota Hai, the beginning of Dil Chahta Hai), this film just didn't live up to the hype.

What do others think of this acknowledged classic of Bollywood cinema?
Old 09-06-02, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I had a chance to watch Chhal and am pretty much in agreement with DVDTalker darius' earlier assessment of the film. The 2 newcomers in the lead roles (gangster and undercover cop) were both very good and I hope they find success in their careers. I wouldn't rank Chhal in the same class as Satya and Company but it is certainly worth a viewing. The story in Chhal reminded me a little of the Steelgrave and to a lesser extent the Profitt arcs in the late 80's TV show Wiseguy starring Ken Wahl.

I too must second darius' comments regarding the DVD. The sound is absolutely terrible. Frankly, without the subtitles, I don't know how someone (Hindi-speaking) can follow the film. You could barely hear the dialogue through most of the film. It sounded like the DVD manufacturer "reversed" the audio tracks, meaning the dialogue was too subdued while all the background effects (music, sound effects, etc.) were unnecessarily augmented. Even though I require subtitles, the audio mix was plain annoying as I would at least like to hear the voices clearly even if I don't know what they are saying.

jmcnally, I am in agreement with you on Sholay. While an okay film, I too found it to be very disappointing given the reverence with which it is treated. Even without my increased expectations, I still would have found it just mediocre at best. Actually, China Gate (discussed earlier) turned out to be everything that I had hoped for in Sholay. You might also want to avoid another older film Border starring Sunny Deol. A controversial film at the time of its release, I found it to be quite a bore. The actions scenes were way over-the-top and silly. It is a war film about a group of Indian soldiers defending a position against Pakistani attack. Hollywood excels at war films; Bollywood has a long way to go, although I am excited about the upcoming film Line of Control.

I am curious to hear what you think of DDLJ. DDLJ is the film that surpassed Sholay's record for longest-running film in Hindi cinema. Again with these expectations and having seen Kuch Kuch Hota Hai first, I too found DDLJ to be disappointing though not as much as Sholay. The initial start of the film is promising and I did find one part very, very funny but the rest of the first half just dragged. The second half is better but there is some unnecessary violence that I felt was too out of character with the feel of the film. The main song in the film is quite infectious though and it stuck in my head for a good week after viewing the film. Also, I must say Kajol is more attractive now than in this earlier film (DDLJ) where she is more of a diamond in the rough (a little too much baby-fat (see her in the black swimsuit), etc.). I think Kuch Kuch Hota Hai is a measurably more entertaining film than DDLJ but certainly DDLJ is worth at least a viewing. Perhaps DDLJ is hurt by the passing of time as more recent films have copied and improved (imho) upon its formula. I haven't seen K3G yet.

I saw Yeh Hai Jalwa recently and am surprised to say I quite enjoyed it. With numerous upbeat song & dance numbers, it is a light piece of entertainment (standard Bollywood fare) that perhaps caught me at the right time; I guess I needed a break from all the gangster/corruption/terrorist subject matter that has dominated my Hindi film viewing as of late. Salman Khan stars in this comedy as a son looking to gain the acceptance/acknowledgment of the U.K.-based father he though lost. Amisha Patel is the female lead. Almost forgot, I got a kick out of a glaring continuity error in the film. There is a scene early on where Salman Khan (with his standard hair length) first meets Sanjay Dutt. After that there is a scene of the two and Salman Khan is wearing a baseball hat under which you can clearly make out that he has a buzz cut (or perhaps he shaved his head entirely and his hair is just growing back). In the next scene with the two, his common hair length is back. The middle scene must have been shot sometime after the completion of the film. This is not a criticism of the film, more so it actually made the film even more likable.

darius, you seem to be very knowledgeable when it comes to Bollywood/Hindi films. Can you enlighten me as to what the heck is going on with Kaante? Is it ever going to be released? I used to be pretty excited about seeing it but now I am fed-up with the wait and really don't care (but I'm still asking anyway ).
Old 09-06-02, 09:29 AM

Another film that looks really interesting to me, in terms of plot, etc. is Hum Dil De Chuke Sanam, starring Salman Khan, Ajay Devgan, and Aishwarya Rai. The only problem is I'm finding it hard to locate the superior DEI 2-disc version (as opposed to the disc from VideoSound). Has anyone seen this film?
Old 09-06-02, 10:41 AM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Great thread. I've just discovered it, since I don't frequent the international DVD forum because I don't buy HK movies and thats mostly what this forum contained.

Its a shame a couple of you didn't like Sholay, Its my all time favourite movie and wished that Criterion would release it and do it some justice. By the way, I don't know if you knew but there two versions of the movie released on DVD with different endings and aspect ratio. You can read about the two versions here . The site also has reviews of movies and discussion forums.

I just found a great place to buy Pre-Viewed (originals) in Atlanta. $8 each or 3 for $20, So I bought Mere Yaar Ki shaadi, Na Tum jano Na Hum & Aamdani Atthanni Karcha Rupaiya ( a good comedy flick). While there I also purchased Dil Chahata Hai ($13), K3G ($16) and Sarfarosh ($10) all three originals and new.

Did you guys know that the official version of Mission Kashmir (released by Columbia Tristar) has an English Audio option. Very cool I thought.

If you like comedy movies, I would recommend Hera Pheri, Paresh Rawal is excellent in this movie.

Also, if didn't know already, kaante is "loosely" based on Reservoir Dogs.

Anyway sorry about jumping subjects in this post, but I was just writing things that came to mind.
Old 09-06-02, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by mr_jbloggs
Anyway sorry about jumping subjects in this post, but I was just writing things that came to mind.
Welcome aboard mr_jbloggs! No need to apologize, your input is appreciated (the more the better, variety is the spice of life, etc.).

Regarding Sholay, the performances were strong and I enjoyed the interaction between the two leads (although I did find the Hema Malini (sp?) character to be somewhat annoying). The Thakur character was good as well. I thought there was a sufficient/interesting enough story in place but as it turns out, I felt the final product was poorly translated/delivered/executed on-screen.

I think I asked about the Mission Kashmir English dub in one of my earlier long-winded posts. Am I reading you correctly that you give it a "thumbs-up"? I haven't had a chance to check it out but I've been curious as to its quality. Do the voices match the characters on screen? Or does it sound like some California surfer dude dubbing the voice for Hrithik Roshan (no offense intended to any California surfer dudes that might be reading this)? I just read a review that the upcoming Brotherhood of the Wolf DVD (French film) has a terrible English dub so I am curious as to the quality of English dubs which have been done for Hindi films.
Old 09-06-02, 12:47 PM

I've always found it charming and funny that so-called "Hindi" films usually have quite a lot of English in them. The actors could probably do their own voices for an English dubbed track, so that would be the best solution.

Funny example from Kuch Kuch Hota Hai was that it was marketed as a "family" film, with no sex or violence, but the Shahrukh Khan (sp?) character was always saying "Oh, ****". That made me laugh quite a bit...
Old 09-06-02, 12:49 PM

Oops, the forum automatically blocked the bad word. It was "Oh, shoot".

Last edited by benedict; 11-03-02 at 06:04 PM.
Old 09-06-02, 02:08 PM

Originally posted by flixtime

Regarding Sholay, ... I thought there was a sufficient/interesting enough story in place but as it turns out, I felt the final product was poorly translated/delivered/executed on-screen.
I fully respect your opinion, but I must disagree. I personally think the story was delivered perfectly. I agree the flying kicks with spikes is silly, but that is part and package of most Hindi movies. One reason this movie is acclaimed, is because of all the memorable Hindi dialogues. Kids in India can resite the dialogues of this movie. I really like the cinematography of this movie, it reminds me of the Cinematography of "The Good, The Bad & The Ugly".

Mission Kashmir..... Do the voices match the characters on screen? Or does it sound like some California surfer dude dubbing the voice for Hrithik Roshan (no offense intended to any California surfer dudes that might be reading this)? I just read a review that the upcoming Brotherhood of the Wolf DVD (French film) has a terrible English dub so I am curious as to the quality of English dubs which have been done for Hindi films.
I have seen this movie in both Hindi and English, and of course, I prefer the Hindi version. But it is always good to have an English dub which opens up the movie to a wider audience. It is not the best dub but adequate. Sanjay Dutt's voice does not match him, he sounds like the dub of a martial arts movie. The rest of the characters are ok. But you loose the emotions of the characters from their original voice, the movie is much more powerful in Hindi.

By the way, I learned Hindi watching Hindi movies growing up.
Old 09-06-02, 04:19 PM
Cool New Member

Ok, a bunch of responses:

What's going on with Kaante?? I have no frickin' idea! It was originally set to release in April, then May, then August and now is set for Oct 11. It seems pretty fixed on that date, but keep in mind that Sanjay Dutt's other big movie - Hathiyaar (Vaastav 2) is coming out on that date, along with Akshay Kumar's next movie, Talaash. Since all 3 are action movies, 1 or 2 have to go!

Hum Dil De Chuke Sanam - Again it was very good at the time and as such I like it quite a bit, but since you guys have seen newer films already (like Devdas and all the Yashraj releases), you might not like it so much. Still the cinematography is awesome, the costumes are excellent and both Ajay Devgan and Aishwarya Rai are SUPERB in their roles. However Salman Khan will annoy you! As for the 2-disc dvd, you can check out www.cdguru.com, and click on their UK store. I think you can find it there. And you can also contact customer service at Indiaweekly to see if they can get a copy at you. This would be the cheapest method.

DDLJ over KKHH?? DDLJ is my favourite film EVER, and has been since I saw it opening weekend back in 1995. It all has to do with the acting, locations, the songs, etc. I understand that the newer films have better production values and even "catchier" music, but come on - they are just glossier repackaged versions of this great film. But I do agree that that ending violent scene was totally unnecessary.

KKHH's swear words - apparantly the word ***** is cool in India right now and I guess not looked upon with disgust!!

Dub for Mission Kashmir - sucks @ss!

Yeh Jalwa entertaining? yes it is!! Thank you for liking it as the film had been getting some horrible reviews, along with director David Dhawan's other recent films this summer. I liked it for a fun, brainless humour and the beautiful Amisha Patel. Rishi Kapoor (the dad) made a great comeback with this film and Salman was very tolerable. You should check out "Hum Kisise Kum Nahin" and "Chor Machaaye Shor" as they both offer the same style of crazy humour and offbeat/outrageous musical numbers. HKKN is a rip off of Analyze This but with a great cast - Amitabh Bachchan, Sanjay Dutt, Ajay Devgan, and Aishwarya Rai. CMS is a copy of Blue Streak, but is MUCH MUCH funnier, with Bobby Deol, Shilpa Shetty and Bipasha Basu. and Paresh Rawal is FANTASTIC!

And about Salman Khar's hair in YHJ - yeah he did have it shaved for an upcoming film and it's just starting to grow back. And as you could tell that scene was shot VERY RECENTLY - as in a week or two before it's release (July 26).
Old 09-06-02, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

By the way, I learned Hindi watching Hindi movies growing up.
Funny you mention that because I tested myself recently to see if I could understand the Hindi dialogue without subtitles - unfortunately except for "dil", "pyaar", "tum" and a handful of phrases I struck out. Oh well, maybe in a few more years (besides I haven't been watching Hindi films for too long yet). On the bright side, I am getting better at pronouncing the titles when I go to my local store to rent them.

Thanks for the feedback on the English dub of Mission Kashmir. I suppose I'll stick with reading the subtitles (always a good response to the "book snobs" who look down on TV junkies, "hey I read, it just happens to be subtitles on TV as opposed to words on paper"). Actually I read quite a bit too but anyway. Your right in that I'm sure the emotion is somewhat lost by the English dub. Too bad, like jmcnally said, they couldn't get the stars themselves to do the dub since they all speak English well. I suppose it isn't worth their time however, and perhaps cost prohibitive as well.

Yeah, the cinematography of Sholay did remind of a Spaghetti western. Have you seen China Gate? By the way, after re-reading my recent posts, I apologize if my comments on Sholay came across in any way as offensive to you. In hindsight, I should have just left it alone since, in an earlier post, I had already made my feelings on Sholay clear and more so since you had mentioned that it was a personal favorite of yours.
Old 09-07-02, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Hello all, following is a link to ABCNews.com. It is an article on a controversial Bollywood new-release:

Article on controversial new Bollywood film: Ek Chhoti Si Love Story @ABCNews.com

Darius, thanks for all the info. Based on your comments, I am very eager to see Chor Machaaye Shor plus it comes with the added bonus of getting to see the drop-dead gorgeous Bipasha Basu.
Old 09-08-02, 10:56 AM

Yeah, the cinematography of Sholay did remind of a Spaghetti western. Have you seen China Gate? By the way, after re-reading my recent posts, I apologize if my comments on Sholay came across in any way as offensive to you. In hindsight, I should have just left it alone since, in an earlier post, I had already made my feelings on Sholay clear and more so since you had mentioned that it was a personal favorite of yours.
Like you said in an earlier post, no need to apologize and like I said, I fully respect your opinion.

Yes, I have seen China Gate and found it to be an average movie, I really liked one song with Urmila in the sequence. I just watched Muje Dossti Karoge and found it to be an average movie at best.

Have you seen American Desi and/or Bend it Like Beckham both are English movies made by Indians about Indians and great Comedies. I highly recommend these tow movies, they have not been officially released on DVD but, as you know, your local Indian Video store will have them.
Old 09-09-02, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yes, I have seen China Gate and found it to be an average movie, I really liked one song with Urmila in the sequence. I just watched Muje Dossti Karoge and found it to be an average movie at best.
I agree, the China Gate song and dance number (the only one in the entire movie if I remember correctly) was very good, and perfectly placed in the film as the film - I felt - was losing a little momentum at just about that time. The song was a good break.

I haven't seen Mujhse Dosti Karoge (sp?) yet as "love-triangle" films are not my first priority in Hindi film viewing. Although I do enjoy them as a welcome respite from all the terrorist/Hindu vs. Muslim-themed films which sometimes get to be too repetitive (to some degree Fiza, Mission Kashmir, and Refugee have all run together in my memory). I do like Rani Mukherjee (she's very pretty) and Hrithik Roshan though so I'll check it out sometime. I think Hrithik Roshan has great potential but - now that he is established - I would like to see him do fewer films where the main point of the film seems to be having the camera capture his dazzling smile all the time (it is a nice smile and all, and I'm sure women don't mind, but I hope Roshan - and his directors/producers - don't fall back on it too whereby it inhibits his growth as an actor). To me, Hrithik Roshan does come across as very likable on screen, I would just like to see him try something different for a change.

Have you seen American Desi and/or Bend it Like Beckham both are English movies made by Indians about Indians and great Comedies. I highly recommend these tow movies, they have not been officially released on DVD but, as you know, your local Indian Video store will have them.
I haven't seen them yet but as you said I think I can manage to locate them . I'm curious about the recent - though unavailable - American Chai too. Along those lines though certainly more drama than comedy, I have seen [B]East is East[/I] starring Om Puri as a Pakistani man married to an English woman. The story takes place in England and focuses on the tense relationship between the traditional father (Om Puri) and his English-born, "westernized" children. I thought the film was just so-so (I didn't get a proper sense of closure from the film, a little too abrupt in its ending). I couldn't quite relate to the film's potrayal of Om Puri's character, meaning I feel some of his stubborness seemed a bit forced. Although I am sure there are people like Om Puri's character, I thought he would be a little more "hip" after having been married to an English woman and living in England for so long. But that's just my take and others might feel the potrayal is genuine.
Old 09-09-02, 11:40 AM

East is East was an interesting film, since it mixed broad comedy with some very serious domestic abuse issues. I'd agree that the fact that he married an English woman would make you think that Om Puri's character is a little less "traditional". I laughed when the youngest son yelled out "The Pakis are here" realizing that these children have a pretty mixed up view of their cultures. I felt that some of the comedy elements took away from the exploration of the cultural issues a bit (like the son always wearing his hood, and the comically ugly sisters), but overall it was a fun film.

It would be interesting to compare other films made by NRI's in different contexts. Here in Canada, Deepa Mehta has made several great films, her most recent being Hollywood/Bollywood, set in Toronto. Unfortunately, I didn't get tickets for the screening at the Toronto International Film Festival, but it should come out theatrically here at some point. The rest of you may have to watch for it on video.
Old 09-09-02, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by jmcnally
It would be interesting to compare other films made by NRI's in different contexts.
I'm afraid I won't be too much help on this one as I have yet to see many of these films, but to get things started here is a partial list (based on those mentioned in this thread and some others that I recall hearing about):

Praying with Anger (M. Night Shyamalan's first film)
Hyderabad Blues
Bollywood Calling
Chutney Popcorn
Bhaji on the Beach
East is East
ABCD (American-born Confused Desi)
American Desi
American Chai
Bend it Like Beckham
Wings of Hope
Hollywood/Bollywood
Mitr - My Friend
Namaste

I am correct in that the above list is what you were hoping to discuss jmcnally? If so, has anyone seen them all? What are some others? Do we add a Hollywood film like Mississippi Masala? Let me know if any of the above films are not relevant to the topic and I will edit the list accordingly. One more thing, for those that might be just getting familiar with Bollywood/Hindi/Indian films and/or are following this thread for "educational" purposes (I hope there is at least one of you out there), the term "NRI" which jmcnally mentions stands for "non-resident Indian" meaning Indians living abroad (outside of India). Furthermore, I believe the term "Desi" is slang for an Indian, same as "Yank" is slang for an American. Is this correct?

Lastly - and unrelated to the above - has anyone seen - or at least heard of - the Pakistani film Zar Gul? I haven't seen it myself but would be very interested in doing so. I started a separate thread for it a short time back but struck out in getting any feedback. Since this thread is a better target market for the subject I thought I'd ask again.
Old 09-09-02, 02:12 PM
Cool New Member

yeah NRI means non resident Indian, but mainly stands for people living abroad, who perhaps have lost much of their Indian culture. That's why if you read reviews and they say something like this movie is made for the NRI market, it means that it's made for people who are nostalgic about India and only want to watch something that glorifies and glamourizes the country (ie all recent Yashraj films) rather than realistic films.

Desi literally means local person (ie a local Indian person), but is now commonly used as a slang term for an Indian or Pakistani.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.