International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Gingko Bed - Thoughts - Q & A

Old 05-14-02, 06:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Gingko Bed - Thoughts - Q & A

I just watched this on the Universe DVD and was really unimpressed. I picked this up a long time ago and have just never gotten around to it. The DVD presentation is simply garbage. Really poor transfer - pan & scan and really dirty print. The sound choices are either Cantonese dub or Mandarin dub. Neither are satisfying since the original Korean track is absent. The subtitles are terrible too - quite a mess - it would be a safe bet to suggest that the translation spanned several languages before arriving at English and whoever translated it into english didn't quite have a grasp on the language. Must be an older Universe DVD because their newer stuff is improved over this. It's been awhile since I've seen a Universe DVD this poor.

The movie itself. Boy - I really tried to give it a chance. I mean - I tried my best to look past the terrible presentation and see it for what it was. Even looking past all of that, I still was disappointed. Mostly because I think they just made a poor movie with a really good story. The story behind this film is epic and ambitious and could have been wonderful, but they screwed it up. Mish moshing of scenes strewn together in a nonsensical manner as if they decided to edit out all the exposition so they could just get to the bloody parts and the romantic parts. They basically hand you this mess and say "here you go - sort it out for yourself." I mean - you can still kinda tell there's a good story behind all this, but it's just so poorly executed that it's really difficult to like. I know alot of people enjoyed this so I'm thinking maybe the Universe DVD is seriously cut. Is the Korean DVD longer? It's anamorphic and contains the original Korean audio, but is it the exact same movie? It's not easy to confuse me with movies, but this film had me confused. Apart from that, the effects were pretty awful. I wish they had done a better job with this film because I can tell that with that story it could've been sooooo good. I'd like to see a remake of this - any chance of that happening someday? This came out in 96, but it looks like it came out a decade before that given how poor the effects looked.

I know it's only related by name, but how does Legend of Gingko compare? Is it based on any of the same characters? It's a prequel of sorts I've heard, but in what way? How closely tied together are these two films? Anyone else seen Gingko Bed and want to tell me why I'm wrong about it or why I'm right?

Thanks.
Old 05-14-02, 10:22 PM

Legend of Gingko 2 is only a prequel to this movie-The only REAL relationship between the movies is the final scene that involves the Gingko tree...It's a big budget movie with many of Korea's top stars but is an historical epic type movie..Personally I thought the first one wasn't good but at least had an interesting idea-The prequel is pretty bad-although I know a few people who liked it (it bombed here in Korea though!!)....

For good Korean movie reviews checkout.......

www.koreanfilm.org

They have a review of lots of them on there.......
Old 05-15-02, 04:55 AM

When I popped in the dvd, I noticed the video quality or lack thereof. Then the Chinese audio? Immediately put it back in the case and it hasn't seen the light of day since.