International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Anyone seen the R2 Rules of the Game?

Old 04-22-02, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Anyone seen the R2 Rules of the Game?

Just curious if anyone can vouch for the quality (or lack thereof) of the French Region 2 DVD of Renoir's La Regle du Jeu -- The Rules of the Game. I think it's now out of print but still available at a few online stores.
Old 04-23-02, 01:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

...although I haven't seen the version you refer to (having already bought the CC version), I can vouch for the excellence of other 'classic' movies in this same series that I do own (e.g. Pépé le Moko, Le Jour se lève, Casque d'or, Cartouche, Stavisky, etc.)...

...Note that, where applicable in this series, only the movie proper offers optional English subtitles, the (very nice!) extras have to do without...

http://www.dvdfr.com/dvd/fiche.php3?id=650

. . . . . .
Old 04-23-02, 07:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks for the input, Hendrik. I just checked your link, however, and think you have Rules of the Game mixed up w/Renoir's Grand Illusion -- two great films by the same director.

Last edited by Gypo66; 04-23-02 at 07:44 AM.
Old 04-23-02, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

...oops!... my bad (...I'm getting old, I'm getting old... I shall wear the bottoms of my trousers rolled... or something like that...)

...however... I own http://www.dvdfr.com/dvd/fiche.php3?id=1242 too, and what I said above applies to this release as well!...

. . . . . .
Old 04-23-02, 01:23 PM

Pépé le Moko

Can you confirm Pépé le Moko dvd(R2 French) comes with eng sub?
Old 04-23-02, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

...sorry! no subs, I fear...

http://www.dvdfr.com/dvd/fiche.php3?id=3117

...too bad, too (for the French-impaired! ), since the disc's interesting extras include a few scenes from John Cromwell's equally studio-bound 1938 US remake - Algiers - where the original stars Jean Gabin and Mireille Balin are replaced by, respectively, Charles Boyer and Hedy Lamarr ("The Most Beautiful Woman In The World") - interestingly, the dialog, music (Vincent Scotto), sets, cinematography (by James Wong Howe), camera angles, lighting and editing of the latter are copied almost 'verbatim' from the French original - even the process shots of the real Algiers and its Casbah used are those originally seen in the French movie - proving, if proof were needed, that Gus Van Sant's much discussed shot-by-shot 1998 remake of Psycho was - as so often - 'nothing new under the sun'...

...btw, a second Hollywood remake - with songs yet! - came out in 1948: Casbah, directed by John Berry and starring Tony Martin and Yvonne De Carlo...

...and so it goes...

. . . . . .

Last edited by Hendrik; 04-23-02 at 05:23 PM.
Old 04-24-02, 04:11 PM

quote:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------Just curious if anyone can vouch for the quality (or lack thereof) of the French Region 2 DVD of Renoir's La Regle du Jeu -- The Rules of the Game.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:quote

I have the disc and can recommend it highly. I bought my copy in February from Cinestore. They ran out of stock for a while but now appear to be back in stock. Here is a direct link:

http://www.cinestore.com/html/fiche_...&page=1&id=240
Old 04-24-02, 08:24 PM

both, la regle du jeu & pépé le moko are supposed to get the Criterion treatment in a near future, guess i'll wait for those...
Old 04-25-02, 09:15 AM

Originally posted by Tom Army
both, la regle du jeu & pépé le moko are supposed to get the Criterion treatment in a near future, guess i'll wait for those...

Please let us on other juicy bits.... . How did u get that anyways?
Old 04-25-02, 05:55 PM

Pépé le moko info was on the Criterion official website
and since it's a Rialto pictures....

as for la règle du jeu the info is on criteriondvd.com
http://www.criteriondvd.com/comingsoon.asp?Sort=Title

Rialto website also says that "le cercle rouge" is a future release, will it be by Criterion? probably...

Last edited by Tom Army; 04-25-02 at 06:05 PM.
Old 04-26-02, 11:11 AM

Originally posted by Tom Army
Pépé le moko info was on the Criterion official website
and since it's a Rialto pictures....

as for la règle du jeu the info is on criteriondvd.com
http://www.criteriondvd.com/comingsoon.asp?Sort=Title

HEH also saw OLYMPIA in there.... think this will coincide wif Leni's Underwater Impressions on her birthday... when is it again?

so i guess i need not get excited over the R-2 france version of la règle du jeu then.....

Last edited by blessthemess; 04-26-02 at 11:17 AM.
Old 04-26-02, 05:43 PM

just got my copy of triumph of the will, i guess Olympia will do just fine beside this one