Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

All-Region DVDs - anyone seen these?

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-02, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

While browsing through Ebay for "Crying Freeman" I stumbled across this Ebay seller selling all-region DVDs such as these:

(Links deleted - I've heard enough. Thanks for the input, folks.)

Last edited by Patman; 04-16-02 at 03:40 PM.
Old 04-16-02, 01:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just taking a look at the guy's feedback show's he's got 138 negatives and several of the recent comments say the DVDs are of bad quality. Thus it'd be my guess these are indeed bootlegs.
Old 04-16-02, 01:24 PM

Re: Lone Wolf & Cub, I'm not too sure what to make of it. But, seeing how it's on E-Bay I would proceed W/ caution.
For the legit LW&C look here:
R1
http://www.animeigo.com/samurai/
R2
http://www.artsmagic.co.uk/itmidx6.htm
Old 04-16-02, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Ebay sucks - never buy anything off that site. I bought God of Gamblers the official Mei Ah release (bad transfer, but legal) and paid only 5 bucks at dddhouse. The Mei Ah release (as well as most of the releases coming out of HK) are All Region or Region 0 (same thing). Stay far away from scams like this... ebay is just a big watering hole for scam artists.
Old 04-16-02, 06:31 PM

I agree with Trigger, but I will point out something.
If the item is not available anywhere else, Ebay then becomes an option if you want the item bad enough.

I wanted The Legend of Zu. It had gone Out of Production and I couldn't get one from any etailers. Most listed it as OOS, the few that didn't, I placed orders with. The orders were all canceled due to OOS.

I ended up getting an SE Legend of Zu off Ebay for around $30 total w/ shipping.

Did I pay too much? Yes. (But I own the movie!) hehe

Cheers,
Gabe
Old 04-17-02, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I read on another forum that there were RO Lone Wolf and Cubs being sold on ebay- A buyer who got them said they were boots that appeared to be taken from the AnimEigo vhs. Fudge that. I'll wait for the official release.

Last edited by Slumbering Fist; 04-17-02 at 03:27 PM.
Old 04-19-02, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A possible strike against some of the "all region" DVD is that some of the chinese companies putting out the dual-layer versions have questionable quality-control of their raw materiel. Because of this, an all-region title might have a chance of going bad. Of course, this streak of bad DVD might have been a temporary production fluke and the company has gotten its act together again.

After say, six months, some of the all-region dual-layer discs might become unreadable (refuse to load) on some machines. For example, this has happened in a few cases with some anime boots made by companies such as "2000 Another DVD Ltd" from Hong Kong, a major maker of middle-quality and lower-end anime boots. I said some machines. For those who haven't seen this occur, it is possible to have "bad" discs that play on some but not on others. Hence, one B&M tests the boots on at least three fairly different DVD players. I received some "courtesy titles" to test on my home machines for feedback. Approx 2 out of the 3 anime titles failed in my laptop, all failed in my nice Pioneer, but all played just fine on the "generic asian all-region" player... Hmmm. I'm scratching my head on this one. Eyeballing the discs shows no visible problem (no milkiness, no waviness, no mottled spots, no distorted plastic on the inner hub) typical of discs that refuse to load.

For this reason, the local B&M selling anime boots have stopped selling these problematic titles, but only if after customers report a title as being unloadable. Since the B&M can't return the defective discs to whatever asian distributor they got these from, I assume they found other means of getting rid of them, whether giving them away to friends of the store (for feedback), good customers, or simply trashing them to preserve reputation of the store.

Last edited by Startide; 04-19-02 at 06:07 PM.