Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Norcent DVD players

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-02, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Norcent DVD players

I picked up a "Norcent" DVD player at Best Buy for 74.99. I had never heard of this brand, but I needed to pick up a cheap DVD player. This thing is great!
It's region free, and plays PAL movies right out of the box.
Anyone else have one of these?
Old 04-14-02, 10:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sweeeeet! Now you can pick up that region 3 Disturbing Behavior disc you were drooling for. I think Marsden has a deleted scene where his ruby glasses come off and he shoots some sort of eye blast.
Old 04-15-02, 06:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Is this true or are you two just jerkin around with each other?

p.s. I mean is it true about the DVD player, not about the eye blast thing.
Old 04-15-02, 07:40 AM

No it's true about the player, but like the Apex and Sampo it doesn't convert PAL anamorphic movies right.
Old 04-15-02, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Trigger
Is this true or are you two just jerkin around with each other?

p.s. I mean is it true about the DVD player, not about the eye blast thing.
It's true about the DVD player. He's just mocking my taste in movies.
Old 04-15-02, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Question

Out of the box, do the Norcent units play ALL regions and do NOT have Macrovision without using a hack?
Old 04-15-02, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: Question

Originally posted by Startide
Out of the box, do the Norcent units play ALL regions and do NOT have Macrovision without using a hack?
Not sure what "Macrovision" is. It played a region 2 "Orgazmo" just fine though.
Old 04-15-02, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

What's the model number? I can find nothing on the web about this being a region free player. I would also like to confirm if it can convert and play from any region fresh out of the box or if it requires a keypad code.
Old 04-15-02, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Nevermind - I found it in a few places...

Norcent DP201
Multi-Region DVD Player w/ MP3 Digital Audio Playback & Remote Control

Your Price: 99.00
  • Plays Both NTSC & PAL Video Formats To Enjoy DVDs From Just About Anywhere!
  • Versatile Playback Options Include DVD, Audio CD, VCD, CD-R/CD-RW & MP3
  • Plays MP3s Encoded On CD-R/CD-RW To Enjoy Over 10 Hours Of Music On A Single Disc
  • DTS Digital Audio Output To Connect To An External Receiver For Surround sound
  • Component, S-Video & Composite Video Outputs w/ Optical/Coaxial Digital Audio Output
  • Programmable Playback Sequence w/ Multiple Angle Feature & Subtitle Display
  • Zoom Function & Built-In Screen Saver w/ Parental Control Operations
  • Dimensions: (W x D x H)-Body: 430mm x 300mm x 70 mm
    Weight: 3.5 Kg

F E A T U R E S
  • Weight 3.5 Kg
  • Format NTSC / PAL
  • MP3 Playback
  • DVD Video
  • CD Player
  • CD-R/RW Compatible
  • Dolby Digital / DTS DTS Output
  • Component Output
  • Composite Output
  • S-Video Output
  • Programming Playback Sequence
  • Remote
  • Dimensions 430mm x 300mm x 70 mm (W x D x H)
Old 04-15-02, 08:49 PM

I'm curious as to how well it plays PAL anamorphic DVDs on ordinary 4x3 televisons.
Old 04-15-02, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by chaver
I'm curious as to how well it plays PAL anamorphic DVDs on ordinary 4x3 televisons.
I imagine about the same as the Shinco or the Apex.
Old 04-15-02, 09:37 PM

You got it punk!!
Old 04-15-02, 11:41 PM

Which is...?
Old 04-15-02, 11:54 PM

Originally posted by chaver

Which is...?
If the movie is anamorphic it will stretch the picture 1:85 looks almost fullscreen and 2:35 will look like 1:85 widescreen. If you want the player for watching PAL movies you are probably better off without it, since it doesn't really do the job right. If you want it for region 2 and 3 asian dvds I guess it's a decent cheap player.
Old 04-16-02, 10:14 AM

Thanks for the info. Right now, all I want it is for watching the R3 Korean disc of My Sassy Girl. But I expect I'll be getting some HKL PAL discs in the future, so I guess I really need good PAL-to-NTSC conversion as well. Any suggestions?

Chaver.
Old 04-16-02, 08:48 PM

Do I have to say "Malata"? There should be a few threads around ... it is supposedly quite good at adjusting the different aspect ratios of PAL and NTSC discs. No idea how it copes with the different framerates, though.
If you plan on getting a new TV set sometime, you might consider getting a multi-norm TV-set ... no idea if these are readily available in NTSC country. I live in PAL land & getting decent NTSC->PAL conversion even from brand-name players is about as tough as the PAL->NTSC way. Thus I will probably go for that second option ...
Old 04-16-02, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I am thinking about getting this for my mom because she needs one, and then I can get her the CSI series 1 for it also.
Old 04-16-02, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I would also like to confirm if it can convert and play from any region fresh out of the box or if it requires a keypad code.
I would still like some confirmation on this - checking out nerd-out.com they say that it isn't region free at all.
Old 04-16-02, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I would still like some confirmation on this - checking out nerd-out.com they say that it isn't region free at all.
It is. Believe me. I bought this player for my brother. We've tried it. You may have to go to "setup" and change the mode from "multi" to "NTSC", but that's it. Then you're free to watch all the Takishi Mikie movies you want.
Old 04-17-02, 03:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by slymer

It is. Believe me. I bought this player for my brother. We've tried it. You may have to go to "setup" and change the mode from "multi" to "NTSC", but that's it. Then you're free to watch all the Takishi Mikie movies you want.
Sorry to drive this into the ground, but... so you're saying that you have watched DVDs from regions other than 0 or 1 and the player allows it? And you didn't have to press any special key sequence or upgrade any firmware?
Old 04-17-02, 07:43 AM

Sorry to drive this into the ground, but... so you're saying that you have watched DVDs from regions other than 0 or 1 and the player allows it? And you didn't have to press any special key sequence or upgrade any firmware?
He used my region 2 Kairo and Orgazmo.
Old 04-17-02, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

No, I did not have to enter any key sequence, or upgrade any firmware. It works right out of the box.
Old 04-17-02, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Wow! Those mainland China companies are sure making all kinds of DVD players and getting them into the USA distribution network! They already make plenty of airplane parts for cheap (various mainland China companies stamp the Boeing trademark logo on parts and voila, it's a freshly-minted Boeing jackscrew part).

Now, if they would only mass produce all of the American DVD titles for $3.99 or less. Lord of the Rings 4-disc set for $8.99 at Suncoast. Star Wars 3 DVD for $3.99 at Best Buy! The Roughnecks boxset for $7.99. And of course, DVD/RW drives at $89 each with DVD/RW blanks $0.25 each or less. Don't forget the AOL Time Warner stock will be down to $0.50 per share though. They can sell these discs thru their DeepDiscountDVD.com.CN company or BestPrices.com.CN outlet stores!

It's clear that something is broken in the USA-side law enforcement process. Perhaps a few key American gov't individuals owe too much to the Chinese political machine or something. In the meantime, whilst the RIAA, MPAA, and Boeing are fuming and fuming and fuming, I will go visit BestBuy B&M to check out the Norcent. It seems that the parent company of Norcent makes some large LCD and flatscreen TV too, so maybe in the future, they will mass-produce a bunch of IBM technology flat screen monitors for cheap....

Last edited by Startide; 04-17-02 at 11:48 AM.
Old 04-17-02, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Startide
Now, if they would only mass produce all of the American DVD titles for $3.99 or less.
They already do! But only sold in select places in HK, China and Vancouver...
Old 04-17-02, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've got someone who bought a Region 3 DVD from me saying they just bought a Norcent player from Best Buy and that they can't figure out how to get it to play my DVD. Apparently it won't. Would one of you who owns one be able to walk her through it? Could you tell me which model number you picked up at Best Buy and if it matches the picture above or does it look different. Please and thank you.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.