International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Kandahar

Old 02-27-02, 10:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kandahar

Looks like Kandahar is going to be released in an R2 Spanish edition on 3/6. Are there other, potentially better, editions in the work?
Old 02-28-02, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Kandahar

Seville is releasing it in Canada sometime in May. I don't know what the Spanish disc has, but the Canadian disc will have a making-of documentary and a commentary by lead actress Niloufar Pazira.
Old 03-13-02, 05:36 PM

Full Press Release for the Canadian release

KANDAHAR
SEVILLE SIGNATURE COLLECTION DVD

$1,000,000 Box Office Phenomenon
*In Canada alone

STREET DATE: 05/14/02
DRAMA
85 min
RATED: PG

SYNOPSIS:

Mohsen Makhmalbaf’s extraordinary fable of love, suffering and self-sacrifice is the story of Nafas. A young Afghan refugee living in Canada, she receives a desperate letter from her younger sister, who writes that she will kill herself at the moment of the next solar eclipse.

Nafas fled Afghanistan during the civil war with her father, a doctor. Her sister, terribly injured by a land mine, was too ill to travel with them, and remained behind, in Kandahar. With great difficulty, Nafas manages to reach Iran, where she seeks help. Heavily veiled, disguised as a peasant, she is led across war-ravaged, mine-strewn wastelands by a boy she encounters in a cemetery. To save her sister, whatever the cost, she must brave sickness, ruthless bandits and border guards if she is to reach the town of her birth before the eclipse…

“Penetrating, and poetic… this film takes us to a place where the news doesn't go.” -Brian D. Johnson, Macleans

“Mr. Makhmalbaf's story has the strangeness and clarity of a dream, but it also has a documentary immediacy and a moral urgency that is, belatedly and under pressure of recent events, clearer to an American viewer than it was six months ago.” -A. O. Scott, New York Times

Awards and Nominations for KANDAHAR
Winner - Prize of the Ecumenical Jury – Cannes Film Festival 2001
Winner – UNESCO Fellini Gold Medal 2001
Nominated – Golden Palm – Cannes Film Festival 2001

SEVILLE SIGNATURE COLLECTION DVD
DVD FEATURES:
· 16x9 Widescreen Presentation (1.85:1)
· Exclusive commentary track by Nelofer Pazira
· Documentary about the film produced by CTV’s W5
· English/Farsi Audio with English subtitles or Optional French subtitles
· Bilingual Menus (2 full and separate sets of menus)
· International Trailer
· Stills Gallery
· Cast & Director Bios
· Booklet insert featuring: “Refuge in the Dust” essay by Nelofer Pazira; Interview with director Mohsen Makhmalbaf (tbc)
Old 03-13-02, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Looking forward to this. With The Circle doing reasonably well I hope this gets an R1 release.
Old 05-13-02, 08:56 PM

I have not been able to find any US etailer that has this title listed. Any suggestion on some good places (reasonable price, reliable service) to order it?

Thanks.
Old 05-13-02, 09:36 PM

Try Videoflicks.com.
Old 05-14-02, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 93 Likes on 68 Posts
It's odd that it was shown on tv here before it made it to video/DVD.