International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Tales of the Unusual question (spoilers)

Old 05-12-02, 01:20 PM

Tales of the Unusual question (spoilers)

I just finished watching this R3 disc (HK/Universe release of a Japanese movie) and thought it was well done overall. I've always enjoyed anthology movies, and this was a nice mix of horror, comedy, and drama. I had one question about the first story, Snowy Night, which I'm curious about. If you've never seen the movie, then don't read any further....
[Spoilers ahead]

At the end of the story, Misa realizes that she is the actual killer, which we discover when she opens up her blanket and we see her wearing Mari's white dress. What I don't get is that the rescue worker then grabs her by the hand and asks what happened, and she looks around to find the others dead around her, but they are all outside in the snow. Was the entire cabin sequence just a dream to her? Did she actually kill everyone else, or did they just freeze to death? This part didn't seem to make sense to me.
Old 05-12-02, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I liked that story alot You should watch it again because there's several clues in it. They were ALL dreaming that they were in a cabin - there never was a cabin. It was just everyone going kinda crazy from the cold. As for whether or not she did it - you really ought to watch it again because there's some clues that a second or third viewing will make it all clear.
Old 05-14-02, 11:55 PM

Thanks for the reply. I watched it again, and I agree, it is clear in the scene at the end that there was no cabin -- the stove was actually just a campfire and everyone appears to be dead in the places where they dreamt they were in a cabin. But I guess I'm slow cuz I'm still not getting the whole story; in the rescue scene, you can see that the guy who got axed still has the axe is his back, and Mari is still dead with the shovel sticking out ... is the figure in the videocam at the end supposed to be Mari's ghost? Are there other clues I missed? I also thought at first that the blood on Misa/Mari's fingernails proved she killed the other two as well, but again in the rescue scene, the old guy has a turtleneck on and appears to have frozen rather than been killed.
Old 05-15-02, 04:52 AM

I didn't care for any of the stories. It was interesting to watch because a lot of the actors are in many dramas.