Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Is "Ring" less scary because of DVD?

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-02, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,259 Likes on 837 Posts

Just watched Ring for the first time and although it was pretty good and had some good scares, I was wondering afterwards if it would have been scarier watching it on VHS prior to the coming of DVD. Since the film succesfully manages to turn a familiar/ordinary every day object, a VHS tape, into something very creepy and unsettling, I thought I would have had shivers just getting the tape out of thr VCR after the movie and then get this uneasy feeling every time I took a tape out of my VHS collection afterwards to watch it.
Old 02-23-02, 09:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interesting...certainly would add to the creepiness. I would have loved to have seen this in a theater, that is with people interested in the movie..no cell phones, teenagers to ruin it. Has anyone seen this in a theater in Japan? How was the crowd,more respectful?
Old 02-24-02, 03:57 AM

Where is this movie available on DVD with English subs. I have been dying to see this movie forever. Thanks.

Clint
Old 02-24-02, 06:51 AM
NMA

All 3 films are available in UK with English Subtitles and beautiful presentations. They don't have regional coding but they are provided in PAL. Be sure to check whether your system is capable of playing PAL.

I watched "Ring" and "Ring 2" and I pre-ordered "Ring 0" which is scheduled to be released tomorrow :-)
Old 02-24-02, 07:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

...and keep a slot free on your DVD shelf for the DVD of the Hollywood remake
by Director Gore (Mouse Hunt, The Mexican, The Time Machine) Verbinski, scheduled for theatrical release next August...

http://us.imdb.com/Details?0298130

. . . . . .
Old 02-24-02, 07:22 AM

Remember, Ring should always be watched first. Ring 2 if you want to continue the story. Ring 0 is a prequel of sorts but should be watched last if you want to complete the saga.
Old 02-24-02, 01:37 PM

That's so awesome. Thanks for the info guys. I plan to get those discs soon after I get the Malata in a couple of weeks. Been saving up money so I can start watching all of this great stuff I have been missing.

Clint