Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

HK trivia, which old school flik is this?

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-02, 10:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok so I'm really asking because this is a title I want to find and then order it, as it was like the first kung-fu flik I watched where I said "Wow, I love this ****". Anyway it's not a popular movie so this should be a decent challenge for our experts. .

Kinda funny I thought about Ninja Turtles when I thought about what I'm about to type. . 4 martial arts students learn from their older master the art of ninja warriors. They must defeat the one powerful evil foe. During the course of the film there is a fair share of fighting and our 4 heroes learning the arts and how to conquer different obstacles. At the end of the film all they learned is put to use as they have to fight through trails to get to the final enemy leader. I really love this movie because the trails remind me of Role Playing Games, they have certain parry moves or elements to counter the different techniques. They must find a way to defeat enemies with mirror umbrellas that reflect blinding light. They must fight ninjas who use smoke bombs to evade them. And I think there was one trail with bamboo poles. Anyway once one trail is finished, in comes another set of enemies. I loved the final trails and battle in this movie. What movie is this?
Old 02-22-02, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Chinese Super Ninja

http://pokerindustries.com/acatalog/chineseninjadvd.htm
http://www.hkflix.com/xq/asp/filmID.1437/qx/details.htm
Old 02-23-02, 12:38 AM

You've won! What did you win? My thanks! Yes yes yes yes! You've just helped me find the title that made me a fan.

Um, could you reccomend other titles like this?
Old 02-23-02, 12:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Teremei
You've won! What did you win? My thanks! Yes yes yes yes! You've just helped me find the title that made me a fan.

Um, could you reccomend other titles like this?
Recommendations? Any Shaw Bros. flicks.

Have a good look through this site
http://www.dvdcult.com/KungFuDVD.htm

Last edited by Cornfed; 02-23-02 at 12:58 AM.
Old 02-23-02, 12:59 AM

Aw man, why didn't I think of that. Alright I'll go start drooling over all there films at HKflix. Many thanks.
Old 02-23-02, 01:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I guess you should start with Invincible Pole Figher. Maybe Five Deadly Venoms.
Old 02-23-02, 03:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
If you liked that film (which I didn't and caught alot of flak about), you'll also like The Kid With The Golden Arm (which I still didn't like, but thought it was better than Chinese Super Ninja)... He's spot-on with the Shaw Brothers suggestion. I'd suggest scoping out your local Best Buy in the Under 10 buck section to see if any of these are there. I picked both of these films up there for around 15 bucks total. They have tons of others. Also do a search for Old School and find the old school thread in this forum cuz films like this are discussed alot there. Happy hunting!
Old 02-23-02, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

And of course, check out the Old School Kung Fu Thread ...(the first page is a bit outdated, but still informative)

Chang Cheh, director of Chinese Super Ninjas, was one of the most prolific directors of kung fu films, averaging around 4-5 movies a year for a decade.
A few noteworthy Chang Cheh films... (on DVD)
Invincible Shaolin
Five Deadly Venoms
Kid With the Golden Arm
Flag of Iron
Ten Tigers of Kwantung
Avenging Warriors of Shaolin

Last edited by Slumbering Fist; 02-23-02 at 12:34 PM.
Old 02-23-02, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Any B&Ms that might have some of the Ground Zero Shaw Bros. DVDs besides Best Buy? I've heard Sam Goody; I might head down there today. Any others?
Old 02-23-02, 12:32 PM

Well I can't answer you because I'm new at this. But thanks, I'm gonna try Sam Goody and Best Buy today too. Are there any websites that can help me find stores in my area that have imported titles from Universal and Mega Star? I have one place in the area but they have none in stock that I want. QED Laser Illinois. Maybe K-mart has some old school cheap.
Old 02-23-02, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

K-mart has those el cheapo DVDs. You won't find the Ground Zero releases there. I once got a cheapie version of Snake in the Eagle's Shadow that turned out to be watchable. Though it doesn't hold a candle to the HKL release.
Old 02-23-02, 01:49 PM

Ok I'm about to drive off on a shopping spree. Think I'm gonna make some calls first because I really want to pick up a copy of Chinese Super Ninjas somewhere. Do you think Best Buy or Sam Goodie might have it? Also before I go any other Shaw movies you might reccomend?

Chinese Super Ninjas
Invincible Pole Fighter
5 deadly venoms
Kid with the Golden Arm

Hows fist of the White Lotus?

Help Appreciated BIG time guys.
Old 02-23-02, 02:05 PM

Wohoo!! I called Sam Goodie and they are holding Chinese Super Ninja for me! Oh man I can't thank you enough for all the help guys. I can't wait to watch that movie again. It has been so long! I'll be here for an hour. So I would really like it if someone could reccomend ONE of those other Shaw movies to watch since I have seen none of them. I'm off to find reviews on those.
Old 02-23-02, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Fist of the White Lotus is great as are the other ones that have been mentioned, and Invincible/Eight Diagram Pole Fighter is my personal favorite, as you can tell from my review.
Old 02-23-02, 09:42 PM

I just watched Chinese Super Ninja and Kid with the Golden Arm. I did not like KwtGA very much. I think it is just average. So now I'm asking, reccomend some Shaw films that you all think are the cream of the crop that I must add to my collection without a question. I want to watch many of them but try to weed out the average quality ones.

The reason I like Super Ninjas so much is because of the elements and having to parry them. I also like the fighting alot because the Heros have alot of people to avenge. It makes me root for and enjoy the fighting more. I'm going to be doing some reading around but I would appreciate a small "shaw" list here from you guys. What were those other titles about you mentioned in your review SF? Like 36 deady somethings and Drunken master?
Old 02-24-02, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally posted by Teremei
So now I'm asking, reccomend some Shaw films that you all think are the cream of the crop that I must add to my collection without a question.....

What were those other titles about you mentioned in your review SF? Like 36 deady somethings and Drunken master?
Just posted and did my best to answer in the Old Shool Forum...