Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Looking For Japanese Version DUNE Ext. Version.

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Old 02-17-02, 11:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hi
i just found this forum & i'm in love already!!!!! & i only read 2 post's wish i did'nt have to get up for work, i would be here for awhile
anyway's, does anybody know of a dealer where i could find the japanese dvd version of dune, the tv or extended version ?
thank's for any help.
CHAOS
Old 02-18-02, 08:31 AM

Either of these what you're looking for?

Dune
different Dune

Cheers,
Gabe
Old 02-18-02, 04:31 PM

hey thank's
i think the second one is the correct one ? it's the extended version that's almost 3 hour's long. here is the pic i have of the dvd, http://www.geocities.com/chaospsx2001/japdune.htm
i was actually on amazon japan, but when i did a search i did'nt come up with anything, and i don't read the language so i was kind of lost but i think that is the one. now how do i go about securing a copy ?
CHAOS

Last edited by CHAOS666; 02-18-02 at 04:51 PM.
Old 02-18-02, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by CHAOS666
now how do i go about securing a copy ?
CHAOS
If you have an account with Amazon in the US, you just do the same thing you would ordering it from the states. Your account will have all the same shipping info and CC info.
Old 02-18-02, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i think the second one is the correct one ?
Actually, going by the pictures, the first link is the correct one. (The one that says Dune -- not the one that says Different Dune.)

I own the Japanese "extended" Dune DVD. It has the photo Paul on the cover, as shown in the first link.

(Note: I got mine from Sazuma, but I absolutely DO NOT recommend this store. Some of my worst online experiences ever were a result of trying to save a few bucks by using these guys.)
Old 02-18-02, 04:56 PM

hey
okay, from this link it say's the one without paul is the extended one ? http://www.davidlynch.de/coldune.html
i'm gonna have to look into this one, if i could read japanese i would be all set. i thought there was a way to order oversea's dvd's through america amazon, but hen i looked yesterday i did'nt see a way ? i'll have to look into it more. unless somebody know's a place to order it direct, and payment through paypal would be nice but c.c would work also.
thank's much!!!!
Old 02-18-02, 04:59 PM

That website lists the Japanese extended version as 4x3 ... can anyone confirm that it is not widescreen?

- Jeff
Old 02-18-02, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

hey
okay, from this link it say's the one without paul is the extended one ? http://www.davidlynch.de/coldune.html
Hmmm... you're right. That's what the link says. I don't know what to say except, well, that the link is wrong.

I just went to my "Movie Closet" to make sure that I'm not getting confused. The DVD set is actually sitting on my desk right now beside me and I can confirm that it is the Paul photo cover:

I'm 99% certain that the first link is correct -- both because it has the correct photo and because, if you notice, the price is higher. The extended version is a 2-disc set.

But, I certainly don't blame you for wanting to investigate further... I would too! Does Babelfish translate Japanses kanji characters? Hmmm...
Old 02-18-02, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by jbannow
That website lists the Japanese extended version as 4x3 ... can anyone confirm that it is not widescreen?
Correct. It is not widescreen -- and has never been released in widescreen in any region.

But, since this version was cobbled together solely to air on television, the 4:3 ratio is understandable. I doubt that a 2.35:1 version of this cut exists anywhere.
Old 02-18-02, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I just ran that first Amazon link (with the Paul cover) through babelfish and it calls the DVD the "Planetary TV televising long shaku edition of f[ / sand".

I imagine that the "televising long shaku edition" must be the TV version. That's the best... I might just have to relabel my DVD.

Also, under the technical information, it lists the runtime as 189 minutes -- which is the correct time for the extended version.

Last edited by bboisvert; 02-18-02 at 05:32 PM.
Old 02-18-02, 05:13 PM

I'm 99% certain that the first link is correct -- both because it has the correct photo and because, if you notice, the price is higher. The extended version is a 2-disc set.
hmmm.... i was thinking that also, because of the higher price.
sure would be nice to get acouple of these dvd's!!
thank's
p.s.
i have the u.k. tv version (extended) and it also is not widescreen, i'm guessing these are prob. the same, just from diff. country's, i also found the australian version on amazon.au, at least i can read that and it say's it's "DTS", but not the extended version
Old 02-18-02, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 237 Likes on 173 Posts
Hi guys,

Just checked the two links:

First link- (Dune- 7,800 yen) says it's for a 189 minute version. The aspect ratio is 1.33:1 and it's in Dolby 2.0. But wait, it says the language is Japanese. It doesn't mention anything about an English language track.

Second link- (Different Dune-4,700 yen) says it's for 137 minute version. The aspect ratio is 2.35:1 and it's in Dolby 2.0. The language is in English and subtitles are in Japanese.

You can check out this site for details on the 189 minute version in English. It says that it has an English track with subtitles and gives prices in US dollars also.
http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=BBBF-1258[/URL]

Happy hunting.
Old 02-19-02, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 236 Likes on 172 Posts
hey
i'm gonna have to look into this one, if i could read japanese i would be all set. i thought there was a way to order oversea's dvd's through america amazon, but hen i looked yesterday i did'nt see a way ? i'll have to look into it more. unless somebody know's a place to order it direct, and payment through paypal would be nice but c.c would work also.
thank's much!!!!
CDJapan has an English-language web site. You should be able to order from there.

Please remember that this disc is Region 2 (NTSC) coded. You will need a region-free DVD player to watch the disc.

If you do have a region-free DVD player, with the option of watching PAL format material, the same content is available on DVD in the UK for a much cheaper price. You can order that from Blackstar.

An no, there are no widescreen copies of this longer TV version of the movie. It was thrown together (ineptly) using footage after it had already been transferred to pan&scan video. There is also new footage inserted (mostly cartoon drawings that are supposed to substitute for special effects) shot in 4:3.

Have you actually seen this version of the movie? If not, you may want to reconsider spending much money on it. The TV cut is a total travesty against the art of filmmaking. David Lynch had his name removed from it for a reason. Lynch's original theatrical cut, though flawed, is superior in all respects.
Old 02-19-02, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Josh Z
Have you actually seen this version of the movie? If not, you may want to reconsider spending much money on it. The TV cut is a total travesty against the art of filmmaking. David Lynch had his name removed from it for a reason. Lynch's original theatrical cut, though flawed, is superior in all respects.
While I agree with all of this, I still love having the TV cut. The theatrical cut is a much better film, but the TV version gives you a sense of some of the stuff that landed on the cutting room floor. Yes, the editing is inept. Yes, that Prologue sequence is slow and redundant. And, yes, I agree with Lynch getting as far away from that version as possible. But, I still want it -- I consider it sort of a "deleted scenes" supplement to the film proper.

Also, whenever the extended TV Dune gets discussed, I like to pull out this link:

http://members.aol.com/hiphats/arrakis0.html

which has a fantastic and detailed description of all the alterations and additions in the TV version.
Old 02-19-02, 03:30 PM
Mod Emeritus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Me going off at a tangent! [Off-Topic?]

I heard some good things recently about the (non-Lynch) TV miniseries of Dune made far more recently.

Anyone got that on DVD?

Opinions as to "best" versions etc?

<small>(I also read that books two and/or three in the original trilogy may soon be shot as a further mini-series!)</small>
Old 02-19-02, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by benedict
I heard some good things recently about the (non-Lynch) TV miniseries of Dune made far more recently.

Anyone got that on DVD?

<small>(I also read that books two and/or three in the original trilogy may soon be shot as a further mini-series!)</small>
The new (non-Lynch) TV miniseries came out on DVD in early 2001, but -- DO NOT BUY IT. It is not 16x9, not 5.1 sound, has almost no supplements. They are releasing a new edition in a few months that corrects these problems and also adds about 30 minutes to the film itself ("the director's cut"). This thread talks about it here:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=181130

As far as the quality of the miniseries itself? I still prefer the Lynch version, although this new production has it's moments. It is divided into three segments (just like the book). In my opinion, the first segment is a complete mess -- bad acting, poor script writing, confusing, pointless... Even given his time constraints, Lynch did a much better job of "setting the stage" for this story. And was more true to the novel than the new edition, at least at the beginning of the story.

Parts II & III get a lot better... and start following the book a lot closer. But for me, the new miniseries just shows what an amazing job Lynch managed to do to cram so much story into 2 hours and 17 minutes and still make it flow (somewhat) and look so good.

And, yes, they are making a 2nd miniseries that covers the next two books in the series (Dune Messiah and Children of Dune). I think it starts filming soon...
Old 02-19-02, 03:52 PM

Originally posted by Josh Z

Please remember that this disc is Region 2 (NTSC) coded. You will need a region-free DVD player to watch the disc.

If you do have a region-free DVD player, with the option of watching PAL format material, the same content is available on DVD in the UK for a much cheaper price.
p.s.
i have the u.k. tv version (extended) and it also is not widescreen, i'm guessing these are prob. the same, just from diff. country's,

Anyone got that on DVD?

i've seen it but i don't know if i'll get it ? i rented the new dune, and i thought it kind of sucked!!! took forever to finish watching the thing

Last edited by CHAOS666; 02-19-02 at 03:54 PM.
Old 02-20-02, 12:59 PM
Cool New Member

The new (non-Lynch) TV miniseries came out on DVD in early 2001, but -- DO NOT BUY IT. It is not 16x9, not 5.1 sound, has almost no supplements. They are releasing a new edition in a few months that corrects these problems and also adds about 30 minutes to the film itself ("the director's cut"). This thread talks about it here:

Not strictly true. There is a european release of the dune miniseries which is different from the US region 1 version that does actually have a 5.1 english track. I know I have it and found it very good especially for a fan of the books.

www.dvdzone2.com/cgi-bin/en/OM.cgi?command=showitems&pos=0&type=search&search=4069

This version is 272 mins long and i watched the two DVD's in one hit.

The price at dvdzone2 is the cheapest I have seen it. It works out shiiped at under 20 ($28).
Old 02-20-02, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 236 Likes on 172 Posts
Re: Me going off at a tangent! [Off-Topic?]

Anyone got that on DVD?

I was personally not fond of the recent Sci-Fi Channel miniseries at all. It is just about the cheapest-looking thing you will ever see in your life. I think they spent all of their budget on silly hats (there are A LOT of silly hats!) and forgot to save money for anything else.

It was also annoying in that the publicity claimed it would be more faithful to the Frank Herbert novel than Lynch's film, when it turned out to be even less faithful. It removed the entire first third of the novel and completely missed the point of all the characters (Paul is not a whiny, petulant child).

But I admit to a bias, as I love Lynch's film and was not looking forward to a remake anyway. Your mileage may vary.
Old 02-24-02, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,350 Likes on 997 Posts
Does anyone know of a legit, inexpensive VCD version of this? NTSC please. I don't want to hack my DVD player as of yet, but it will play pressed VCDs.

tks
Old 02-24-02, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second Star on the right, and straight on til' morning...
Originally posted by milo bloom
Does anyone know of a legit, inexpensive VCD version of this? NTSC please. I don't want to hack my DVD player as of yet, but it will play pressed VCDs.

tks
I think the key word here is "legit".... don't think so.