Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Question about "Ring" and "Ring Virus"

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-02, 08:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

(I originally posted this in in the DVD Reviews section, but I think it might be more applicable in this forum--sorry for the repeat):

Does anyone know anything about the two Asian movies "Ring" and "Ring Virus"?

In the new HKFlix promo through DVDTalk, they offer "Ring Virus" and "Say Yes." I've heard rave reviews about the "Ring" movie, but I'm a bit confused on one issue: I believe "Ring Virus" is a Korean remake of "Ring," which is a Japanese movie (which I believe, incidentally, is also a remake).

I have heard good things about the "Ring" movies, but I didn't know if anyone knew which was superior, the Korean or Japanese version, or if both were pretty decent.

(HKFLix has the Japanese version as well, but there are no English subtitles or audio track.)

If anyone can confirm/contest this info, or knows which film is superior, please help.
Old 01-28-02, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

This is more appropriate for the International DVD & Movie forum; moving.

Thanks,
- C
Old 01-28-02, 10:16 PM

Ring and Ring Virus and quite frankly so similar it's insane! I can't see anyone liking one but not the other. I own the R2 (UK) version of Ring and the R0 (Korean) version of Ring Virus. Both are 16:9 and include English subtitles.
Old 01-28-02, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
Ring: http://www.kfccinema.com/reviews/horror/ring/ring.html

Ring Virus: http://www.kfccinema.com/reviews/hor...ringvirus.html

Tuan Jim
Old 01-28-02, 11:05 PM

Thanks for the help.

The KFC reviews seemed to have a pretty strong preference of "Ring" over "Ring Virus." Does anyone else have an opinion on the matter? I'd like to see both, but "Ring Virus" is the only one I can find on region 0 DVD.
Old 01-28-02, 11:17 PM
Banned

Get The Ring Only

Don't buy The Ring Virus! That movie is absolute $#!7. It's a wannabe "The Ring" which was originally made by the Japanese and is now a cult classic. Only the Region 2 PAL version is watchable because it has English subs. The Korean Ring Virus just tried to copy the masterpiece and even tried to make some money by adding a similar title. Look around the web for some reviews, you'll see that most people will have a bad review for it. I got my copy on eBay awhile ago and sold it off within a few days. My guess is that HKFlix ordered a ton of these and is stuck with inventory so they're trying to get rid of it. Although Say Yes is a pretty decent movie though. It's not really a horror movie - it's kinda like Fatal Attraction with Michael Douglas. I'd rather buy Say Yes than Ring Virus. Don't get it.
Old 01-28-02, 11:28 PM

Just for the record, HKFlix is not "stuck with a ton of inventory", we ordered large quantities of these two titles specifically for this promotion. I myself have seen Ring Virus and really enjoyed it. It is almost identical to the original "The Ring", and as such is quite enjoyable.
Old 01-29-02, 02:22 AM

Re: Get The Ring Only

Originally posted by sexygal910
Don't buy The Ring Virus! That movie is absolute $#!7. It's a wannabe "The Ring" which was originally made by the Japanese and is now a cult classic. Only the Region 2 PAL version is watchable because it has English subs. The Korean Ring Virus just tried to copy the masterpiece and even tried to make some money by adding a similar title. Look around the web for some reviews, you'll see that most people will have a bad review for it. I got my copy on eBay awhile ago and sold it off within a few days. My guess is that HKFlix ordered a ton of these and is stuck with inventory so they're trying to get rid of it. Although Say Yes is a pretty decent movie though. It's not really a horror movie - it's kinda like Fatal Attraction with Michael Douglas. I'd rather buy Say Yes than Ring Virus. Don't get it.
You can hardly call a Japanese/Korean co-production that was an official remake a wannabe copycat attempting to rip off the first Ring film. You did know that right? As for the film itself, yes it is quite similiar (what remakes aren't?) but it adds enough originality of its own. Ring 1 wins out for pure atmosphere, but anyone who enjoyed Ring 1 should like Ring Virus as well.
Old 01-29-02, 03:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
I reviewed Ring and Ring 2 here and I gave my thoughts on Ring Virus here... both of these threads pretty much cover everything you've asked about.

It's my understanding (and it could be wrong) that Ring Virus and Ring were more or less filmed simultaneously (of course using the same book as a reference). The original sequel to Ring was called Spiral and originally played along with Ring as a double bill. Audiences didn't care for Spiral as much (if at all) so the director of Ring helmed again for an alternative sequel which recieved the title Ring 2. A prequel recently came out called Ring 0 and it's also supposed to be very good. Most people I've shown Ring to have trouble sleeping and say it's one of the scariest films they've ever seen. Even the most jaded will have trouble blowing this off cuz it gets under your skin.

I prefer Ring to Ring Virus - while they are both basically the same thing, different directors lead to different visions. I also find it satisfying to watch Ring and Ring 2 back to back. I happened to do this last night as a matter of fact - I showed the films to my girlfriend (who couldn't take it and had terrible nightmares that night)... quite the coincidence that discussions about this film are popping up again.

Another interesting thing to note is that Ring was very popular and spawned many clones much like Scary Movie rejuvinated horror films in the US. Films like Wicked Ghost in Hong Kong try to ride the success and there are other films like Help! which use imagery from Ring to make a joke. This may disturb some folks here to know this, but if you take a look at your IMDB you'll find that Hollywood is going to be making their own version of Ring starring Naomi Watts (Mulholland Drive), Brian Cox and Daveigh Chase (A.I.) as the scary scary thing (I assume). I don't have very high hopes for it... in fact, I'm certain that hollywood will muck it up worse than any of us could possibly imagine... however, it's directed by Gore Verbinski who directed The Mexican and Mouse Hunt (and the upcoming Time Machine) - so at least he's already cut his teeth on moderately successful films. I think they should save their money and just release Ring and Ring 2 in theaters with subtitles and scare the $#!7 out of moviegoers.
Old 01-29-02, 04:28 AM
Banned

Ring Series

There are obviously a few HKFlix fans in these forums. Not that I'm against HKFlix so don't get me wrong. I'm a frequent customer myself, but I think you guys are missing the point. The original question by toothboy is which one is better. IMO the original Ring was a lot better. If I was to set out and choose one or the other, I'd definitely choose the original. There are a lot of differences in the two films - different use of lighting, different use of sounds, etc. and the original fared better because of that. I just don't like the Ring Virus at all because it couldn't compare to my original experience of watching the first one.
Old 01-29-02, 04:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Ok - I have to correct something I wrote - Ring was in production in 1997 and Ring Virus was in production in 1999. Not at the same time. A little research dug up that Ring Virus was closer to the book than the Japanese version, but there's no doubt that the Japanese version is favored. Ring Virus is a good film in its own right (especially if you haven't already seen Ring), but doesn't quite recreate the chill you get from watching Ring.

Hey - here's a site that clears up all the mystery... but don't visit if you haven't seen the film or you'll spoil it for sure.

http://www.somrux.com/ringworld/

Ring 0 apparently comes to DVD in Region 2 in Feb. of this year.
Old 02-05-02, 12:37 AM

I've seen both RING and RING VIRUS and personally don't care much for either movie. I'm probably in the minority of people who dont like the movie..(The Japanese version of the RING that is)
Old 02-05-02, 01:11 AM

I prefer Ring Virus to The Ring. Neither movie gave me the chills, but Virus worked more as a supernatural thriller than the Ring, IMO