Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

NANNI MORETTI films on DVD?!

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-02, 05:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi there - I posted a similar question at the end of the NON-R1-thread, but I hope this is still okay to ask in its own thread:

I am looking for films by NANNI MORETTI, who is the director of Italian's Oscar selection for best foreign film, LA STANZA DEL FIGLIO (Son's Room).

I know there is a widescreen DVD of LA STANZA DEL FIGLIO out in Italy, with English subs - does anyone have this disc? How are the extras? Overall?

Then, his film CARO DIARIO is supposed to be out in Italy as well. Unfortunately, the retailers seem to be of different opinions about the included language tracks - one says "INGLESE 5.1", the other one "INGLESE 4.0" and the next one no English at all - are there English subtitles? What information is correct?

And same with the other DVD: quality?

Thank you very much for your input,

Sebastian.
Old 01-08-02, 08:16 AM

I know there is a widescreen DVD of LA STANZA DEL FIGLIO out in Italy, with English subs - does anyone have this disc? How are the extras? Overall?
Unfortunately Warner Italy has truly botched this release. The transfer is not anamorphic and the soundtrack is only in DD 2.0. The extras consist of trailers for all of Moretti's most popular films, a previously unreleased short film by Moretti, a clip of the Palme d'Or award ceremony, as well as an interview with Moretti and Morante.

IMHO a film of this caliber deserved a much better treatment... If you don't have to own it right away, I would suggest waiting for the eventual Region 1 release, which will undoubtedly be far superior.

Then, his film CARO DIARIO is supposed to be out in Italy as well.
Now this, on the other hand, is a fine disc from CVC! It has a remastered 1.66:1 anamorphic transfer, as well as a brand new DD 5.1 Italian soundtrack. The only other soundtrack is the original DD 2.0 Italian track however, and there are no English subtitles. This is obviously a problem if you don't speak the language...

The DVD has no real extras other than the usual trailer and filmographies... But the great transfer and soundtrack more than make up for it -- Cario Diario has never looked (and sounded) this good!

Cheers.
Old 01-08-02, 08:19 AM

Thank you very much Abstrakt - I guess no MORETTI for me then. I don't speak Italian and I DO want a good transfer, so I am a little disappointed... .

Oh my, let's hope for a good R1 release some time later this year - if he gets the oscar I am sure Moretti will have a good edition made!

Thank you very much,

Sebastian.