Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Three Colors Trilogy

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Three Colors Trilogy

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-01, 01:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Three Colors Trilogy

I was surprised to see a local retailer advertising Kieslowski's trilogy on Region 0 DVD. It appears to be from South America and English subtitles aren't available on all of the extra features (interview, etc). The price was $90 for the set which is pretty steep (though I do think these movies are well worth it.)

So my questions are:
Has anybody taken a look at these? How's the quality, features, etc?
Has anybody heard rumors of a US release lately?

Thanks,
Jim
Old 10-26-01, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Three Colors Trilogy

Originally posted by jimbeam
I was surprised to see a local retailer advertising Kieslowski's trilogy on Region 0 DVD. It appears to be from South America and English subtitles aren't available on all of the extra features (interview, etc). The price was $90 for the set which is pretty steep (though I do think these movies are well worth it.)

So my questions are:
Has anybody taken a look at these? How's the quality, features, etc?
Has anybody heard rumors of a US release lately?
As far as I know, it does not currently have any plans of being released in the US. I'd love to hear about the quality of these DVDs. Why don't you buy just one (~$30?) and decide if the others are worth it? They're not in a boxed-set, are they?
Old 10-26-01, 02:06 PM

As far as I can tell, they are only available in the box set. They are availabe from Scarecrow Video (www.scarecrow.com) I looked around briefly to see if I could find them anywhere else, but was unsuccessful.
Old 10-26-01, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by jimbeam
As far as I can tell, they are only available in the box set. They are availabe from Scarecrow Video (www.scarecrow.com) I looked around briefly to see if I could find them anywhere else, but was unsuccessful.
Hmmm... I was under the impression (from somebody else) that they were available separately. Well, if you get them, let us know how they are. You could probably unload them on eBay for your cost if you didn't like them. There are a lot of people who want these.
Old 10-26-01, 03:03 PM
Uber Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They've been delayed, but perhaps by the end of next year....

http://www.dvdfile.com/news/special_...uenavista.html

Since you're asking for feedback on non Region 1 titles, I'm moving this to International forum. You'll probably get a better response over there.
Old 10-26-01, 03:11 PM

Don't know how reliable they are, but www.cdbrazil.com seems to have the same set for $69.90. They also have the following all-region titles:

Once Upon A Time In America $36.90
The Day After $32.90
Necronomicon $29.90
Faust $24.90
The Name Of The Rose $26.90

Never bought from them before, but they seem to have good feedback on ebay. If anyone purchases these discs from them, specifically, Three Colors Trilogy, I'm anxious to know how the discs are.
Old 10-26-01, 06:54 PM

Hey speaking of these movies my UK versions shipped on Tuesday. I think the total price was about 65 bucks. All the extras are subtitled as well.
Old 10-26-01, 07:12 PM

Anyone know of a box set of this? I've been only able to find sales of individual movies at Amazon.co.uk. I dunno if http://www.scarecrow.com/News/titles_3/title_00491.htm offers a box version or not.
Old 10-26-01, 07:41 PM

Originally posted by gopeglegs!
Anyone know of a box set of this? I've been only able to find sales of individual movies at Amazon.co.uk. I dunno if http://www.scarecrow.com/News/titles_3/title_00491.htm offers a box version or not.
The French release from M2K is going to be a box set with a fourth disc of extras I believe. I read somewhere that only the movies are subtitled though. The Discs being put out by Artificial Eye in the UK are the same transfers with the with the same single disc extras, but subtitled. I have not heard about he extra disc being released anywhere else though.
Old 11-18-01, 05:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Anyone get the region free Brazilian box set? I'm ready to order it for $69+$4 airmail shipping from cdbrazil. These are incredible films.
Old 11-18-01, 10:46 AM

Let us know about the dvd's if you get them.
Old 11-18-01, 11:04 PM

Screaching Weasel...are you refering to the 3 individual Region 2 DVDs that Artificial Eye put out at the end of October,or was there some sort of boxset that I missed out on?
Old 11-19-01, 09:57 AM

Originally posted by ScreachingWeasel

The French release from M2K is going to be a box set with a fourth disc of extras I believe. I read somewhere that only the movies are subtitled though. The Discs being put out by Artificial Eye in the UK are the same transfers with the with the same single disc extras, but subtitled. I have not heard about he extra disc being released anywhere else though.
With exception of Alapage, I have not seen any store advertising the French-release box-set as having 4 discs. Also, it appears that there is no subtitling on either the feature films or the extras; otherwise at ~ 46 Euros minus VAT it would be a really good buy for outside of Europe.

I received my UK set late last week. The dialogue is in French w/ burn-in English subtitle. The films are simply gorgeous.
Old 11-19-01, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 191 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally posted by cine

With exception of Alapage, I have not seen any store advertising the French-release box-set as having 4 discs. Also, it appears that there is no subtitling on either the feature films or the extras; otherwise at ~ 46 Euros minus VAT it would be a really good buy for outside of Europe.

I received my UK set late last week. The dialogue is in French w/ burn-in English subtitle. The films are simply gorgeous.
dvdfr.com also mentions an extra Kieslowski documentary. From what I know on the MK2 release the movies WILL be subtitled, but not the extras.

This was the case with the two new MK2 Truffaut boxes, which I received Saturday. The Adventures of Antoine Doinel box did in fact have a poorly advertised extra disk with an hour long Jean-Pierre Leaud documentary. The disk itself was practically invisable, because it came in a CD sized cardboard slip and was just glued to the side of the box.

Anyway, the MK2 Three Colors DVDs are due out tomorrow, so we'll know soon enough...

Ted
Old 11-19-01, 06:21 PM

Originally posted by cine

I have already watched all three of the UK movies and they do have removable subtitles.That Is if the set you are refering too is from Artificial Eye. The info about the French movies having subs and not the extras having them was from a post on DvdTimes where the guy had talked to MK2 about it, but who knows that could be wrong.
Old 11-20-01, 09:55 AM

Originally posted by ScreachingWeasel

I have already watched all three of the UK movies and they do have removable subtitles.That Is if the set you are refering too is from Artificial Eye. The info about the French movies having subs and not the extras having them was from a post on DvdTimes where the guy had talked to MK2 about it, but who knows that could be wrong.
Thanks. I was looking for the subtitles option-setting entry on the DVD menu and just now realized that the subtitle is turned on/off with the player remote.

Also, Dvdfr has the MK2 box-set bonus DVD listed as containing "Kieslowski by Kieslowski"!!!
Old 12-14-01, 06:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Aaaaaaaaargh!

Bad news. I just got the box set. The Brazil NTSC Region 0 DVD box set of the Three Colors Trilogy is FULL SCREEN!

Why....why....why......!!!!???

No way can I ever be satisfied with this. At $70 it wasn't cheap either. What were they thinking!!!!!???

I give it 5 frowning faces out of five. Such great films done such a disservice....

Is the French box set compatible with US televisions if you have a region free player?

Last edited by namlook; 12-14-01 at 06:39 AM.
Old 12-14-01, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,266 Likes on 844 Posts
The French box set has 3 discs, not 4.

namlook, you need a region free player that can do PAL to NTSC conversion.
Old 12-15-01, 02:05 AM
Cool New Member

So, has anyone got the French DVD set and can confirm that they have the English subs on features only?
Old 12-15-01, 03:53 AM
Cool New Member

I would also like to point out that Kieslowski's Trilogy has been available on DVD in his native Poland as Region 0 release for over a year as individual titles as well.

Unfortunately, it is released there as FULL SCREEN as well. Pricing is much better though - around 40 zlotys per dvd = $13USD.
Old 12-15-01, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So could you reccomend the Polish equivalent of an Amazon?
Would they have english subtitles?