Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

My latest order... opinions wanted:

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-01, 09:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay, here's my latest order... Hopefully I won't be too antsy while waiting for these as I still have 15 or so to watch from my last couple orders. (While I can always hope to catch Trigger in his madness, I think I've got a ways to go yet. For I too have become afflicted with the HK itch.)

For those of you who have seen some of these...
What are your thoughts on these titles? (The Young & Dangerous 1,2,3 I ordered after reading some of the positive comments in a thread here. Sounded like something I would like.)
For the rest of them, I took interest after recommendations and/or checking out reviews of them.

-Brother
-Big Bullet
-Downtown Torpedoes
-Double Tap
-Option Zero
-First Shot
-Hot War
-A Man Called Hero
-Young and Dangerous
-Young and Dangerous II
-Young and Dangerous III
-Bayside Shakedown
-Hitman
-Full Time Killer

cheers,
Gabe
Old 10-22-01, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Please give a review of the Brother DVD when you get it. I would like to know about the movie itself and the DVD.

Thanks
Old 10-22-01, 10:51 AM

Will do roseart. That's one of the first I'll be watching... In the meantime, there is a review of it over at kfccinema you can check out.

cheers,
Gabe
Old 10-22-01, 12:37 PM

i havent seen any of those movies...

i'm just starting to order HK movies.

quick question Gabe, did you order this from DDDhouse, and if you did, do they send a confirmation email on when they send the dvd's out? I am impatiently waiting for when they will send the movies out i ordered (35 total)

thanks,
Old 10-22-01, 01:45 PM

Originally posted by tangno
quick question Gabe, did you order this from DDDhouse, and if you did, do they send a confirmation email on when they send the dvd's out? I am impatiently waiting for when they will send the movies out i ordered (35 total)

thanks,
Actually, this is my first order from dddhouse, so unfortunately, I don't know if they send shipping confirmation email. I know hivizone & hkflix both send emails.

I'm going to start a new thread with your/our question in hopes it will get attention sooner.
cheers,
Gabe

Last edited by gabegarwick; 10-22-01 at 02:51 PM.
Old 10-22-01, 03:12 PM

I've seen Downtown Torpedoes. My wife is a huge Takeshi Kaneshiro fan and I must have seen 10 of his movies in the past few months. I didn't like the burn-in subtitles. Audio 1 was Cantonese and audio 2 was dubbed Mandarin. It's a Mission Impossible-style movie with eye candies like Charlie Yeung and Teresa Lee. It's generally fast-paced and rather exciting. I think you'll enjoy it.

BTW, my wife's (the big fan) favorite Takeshi Kaneshiro movie is Tempting Heart, even though I enjoyed Lavender more. Both are romantic flicks.

Beeeil
Old 10-23-01, 12:31 AM

Big Bullet

Really enjoyed Big Bullet . A fast paced cop movie without much let up on the action. Didn't like the ending as it went a bit overboard. Guess that's par on most action movies. Some of the action scenes in HK were the most realistic I've seen in this kind of movie.

Guess it's time to dust off the case and watch this one again.

Would be interested if Bayside Shakedown gets a or after you view it.

Last edited by Singapore Slim; 10-23-01 at 12:36 AM.
Old 10-23-01, 01:32 AM

Hot War I'm afraid isn't really that good, tries to be a high-tech thriller and everything but didn't really work.

I'll second that recommendation for Big Bullet. Double Tap is a good psychological thriller, but replay value of it is kinda low because of the violence and it's pretty disturbing.

Bayside Shakedown is EXCELLENT. I recommend it fully. It's a satire and a detective movie all at once. Even though it was a TV show before the movie, you need no previous knowledge to have a good time watching this.

That looks like a pretty good order, hope you enjoy them.
Old 10-23-01, 02:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Re: My latest order... opinions wanted:

-Brother - Have yet to watch.
-Big Bullet - Have yet to watch.
-Downtown Torpedoes - Have yet to watch.
-Double Tap - Have yet to watch.
-Option Zero - Have yet to watch.
-First Shot - Don't have.
-Hot War - Have yet to watch.
-A Man Called Hero - It's slow. I didn't care for it as much as I hoped I would.
-Young and Dangerous - Have yet to watch.
-Young and Dangerous II - Don't have.
-Young and Dangerous III - Don't have.
-Bayside Shakedown - Don't have.
-Hitman - I liked it... it's well done - not my favorite Jet Li, but a hidden gem. Better than High Risk.
-Full Time Killer - It's pretty good. Running Out Of Time is better I thought, but this one is no slouch.

I better get busy and watch some DVDs. I'm so behind. When I watch Brother - I'll post my thoughts about it. Sounds like a good order overall though - I have many of these (just haven't watched them yet).
Old 10-23-01, 08:30 AM

Cool, thanks for the replies everybody!

Trigger, Running out of Time is on my wish list. (I almost included it in this order but figured I'd save it for next time.)

cheers,
Gabe
Old 10-23-01, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: Re: My latest order... opinions wanted:

Originally posted by Trigger
When I watch Brother - I'll post my thoughts about it.
Please do, I would like to hear yours and gabegarwick's review for this.
Old 10-23-01, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: My latest order... opinions wanted:

-Big Bullet
Excellent choice! One of the best actioners to come out of Hong Kong... well... ever!!! Great performances (though Anthony Wong isn't used enough), some impressive action sequences, and a good dose of humour that prevents the movie from taking itself too seriously.

-Hot War
Another excellent purchase! Perhaps not the best plot in the universe, but some solid action and SFX sequences and if you're an Ekin Cheng fan, you won't be disappointed.

-Hitman
I fell asleep during this one. Not something you'd expect from a Jet Li film.

-A Man Called Hero
Must have blinked and missed this one in your list the first time I replied. Anyway, I loved this film - though a lot of people seem to want to compare it to Storm Riders - unfavourably. I'm not sure if this is a fair comparison. While it is slow, the SFX are pretty damn good and the characters exude the very essence of cool. A highly recommended comic book adaptation (how many times can you say that??).

Cheers,

-matt

Last edited by raithen; 10-23-01 at 10:40 PM.
Old 10-24-01, 03:06 PM

Thx for the comments raithen. I'll post my thoughts on 'A Man Called Hero' after I see it.

cheers,
Gabe
Old 10-24-01, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Nice order, Gabe! Many titles which I've considered ordering myself but haven't gotten around to, others sitting in my "to watch" pile.

I DID see "Fulltime Killer" and thought it was pretty good. Especially enjoyed the homage to "Point Break"!
Old 10-25-01, 02:53 PM

I watched Brother and thought it was horrible. I'm not one to give up on movies, but I actually had to turn that one off. I hope you like it better than i did, though!
Old 10-25-01, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Abranut
I watched Brother and thought it was horrible. I'm not one to give up on movies, but I actually had to turn that one off. I hope you like it better than i did, though!
Not what I expected to hear Anyone else???
Old 10-25-01, 09:37 PM

Trigger is the man! He has posted a review of Brother for us!
Click here for Trigger's review of Brother.
Thanks again Trigger.

Abranut, your views are certainly welcome. Was there anything in particular that made Brother horrible in your opinion?

rkndkn, Thanks for the teaser in Fulltime Killer, I'll have to remember to watch for the Point Break homage and see if I catch it. (It's been a long, long time since I've seen that movie...)

cheers,
Gabe
Old 10-26-01, 05:17 AM

I was expecting Brother to be an action flick. What makes action flicks good (for me) is a good balance of story, characters, and well choreographed action. This movie was just violent just for violence's sake with no emphasis put on story or characters. I felt like I was watching a movie that would be played at 4AM on Cinemax.

I am open minded when it comes to movies, but I couldn't find anything redeeming about this film.

You'll see. Main characters die, and the audience just doesn't care, because the movie does absolutely nothing to keep you interested.

The movie is a mess. Just my .02.
Old 10-26-01, 06:11 PM

Thank you for your insights on Brother Abranut.

Gabe
Old 10-27-01, 03:42 AM

Originally posted by gabegarwick
Thank you for your insights on Brother Abranut.

Gabe
No problem. Like I said before, I hope you like it more than I did!