Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Any of you waiting for "Amelie"?

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-01, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I haven't seen "Le Fabuleux Destin D'Amelie Poulain" yet, but I'm a big fan of Jean-Pierre Jeunet and I can't wait to get the film on DVD...

I just checked the www.amazon.fr site and noticed that there's a limited edition tin coming out on Dec. 19th and a "regular" 2 disc set on Jan 9th 2002. The release seems to be loaded with extras, but unfortunately doesn't seem to have English subs...

Do any of you have any additional information?
Old 10-11-01, 11:50 AM

I think that what you said is right - no English subs on "Amelie", which is a pity for non-French speakers.
It now seems to be the case in France that most DVDs of French language films only carry the native language track; sometimes there are French subs, too.
On the other hand, in France many films are getting fairly lavish DVD treatment - many 2/3-disc sets are popping up. The "Amelie" sets look great, and next month 2 and 3-disc sets of "Brotherhood of the Wolf" are coming out. Many of these sets are well worth getting, provided that viewers possess enough knowledge of French to get by...

Dazza.
Old 10-11-01, 01:24 PM

I don't know about subs on the DVD or anything but "Le fabuleux destin d'Amélie Poulain" is a great film and I will buy it for sure but probably not the limited edition, it is way too expensive....the regular version will do just fine....

Did this film come out in theatres in the US or is it coming ? MAybe you'll get your own release with an english track or probably thee will be a german DVD for it that has english as it was released in theatres in germany about a month or two ago...
Old 10-11-01, 02:01 PM

miramax, nov.2

from what i found, miramax is releasing this on nov.2 in the US. i read this about 2 months ago, so know sure if it's change and don't remember where i read it, so can't check it again. it's playing at a few film festivals too, it just played at mill valley in california, but unfortunately it sold out too quick for me to get tickets. that box set does look cool though.

on amazon they also list that film, from 1981 the bunker, sorry don't know the full french name but has bunker in the title. has anyone seen that, that was with marc caro too.

pants
Old 10-11-01, 05:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If anyone want's to check out the trailer it's on the Quicktime site. I've been looking forward to this movie since I saw that cover. It's tre stylish.
Here's the link. http://www.apple.com/trailers/miramax/amelie/

Last edited by ScreachingWeasel; 10-11-01 at 05:58 PM.
Old 10-11-01, 07:16 PM

Originally posted by luftikus

Did this film come out in theatres in the US or is it coming ? MAybe you'll get your own release with an english track or probably thee will be a german DVD for it that has english as it was released in theatres in germany about a month or two ago...
I don't know for US but in Québec Canada (the only place in North America where the official language is French only) we usually get crappy releases of France movies:

Le dîner de cons: The only Pan & Scrap DVD I own, this movie is so funny (and Dolby Digital 2.0)

Taxi: Pan & Scrap, Dolby Digital 2.0 (France got it anamoprhic Dolby 5.1 and even a DTS release)

Taxi 2: Widescreen not anamorphic (France got it anamorphic, Dolby 5.1 and DTS I believe)

To me it seems that France wants their R1 releases to be as bad as possible, so sad
Old 10-12-01, 02:02 AM

Originally posted by Real Boba Fett

Le dîner de cons: The only Pan & Scrap DVD I own, this movie is so funny (and Dolby Digital 2.0)

Not on the topic of "amélie" but I agree with you that it is a terribly funny movie but it's one of the only french releases with an english language track. I listnened to some parts of it an I could'n stop laughing, but not because the jokes were still funny ( they weren't ) but because the translation was soooo bad, and I can't figure how an english speaking person could enjoy this movie.....

But as far as I know, some american studio bought the rights for an american remake....we'll see what they do of it...
Old 10-12-01, 10:27 PM
Registered

This movie is set to be in US theaters starting November 9th. I saw it at a press screening this week and I'd say it's easily one of the top 10 films of 2001!!!
Old 10-13-01, 04:38 PM

release dates

got a flyer for landmark theaters, probably on their web site too, but new york, l.a., nov.2, chicago, philly, s.f., boston, nov.9, then nov. 16 more widespread, then nov. 21 even more.

www.landmarktheaters.com

saw the trailer too last night before mullhuland dr., but it wasn't as good a trailer as the french trailers and teasers are, if you can track them down online check them out, they are way better ads.

pants
Old 10-19-01, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,262 Likes on 840 Posts
Originally posted by Real Boba Fett

I don't know for US but in Québec Canada (the only place in North America where the official language is French only) we usually get crappy releases of France movies

Yeah but at least we get them on the big screen much sooner than our American neighbors, that is if they get them at all.

By the way, Amélie is easily the best film I've seen this year. It is a pure moment of cinematic bliss that will put a smile on your face for days after you've seen it.
Old 10-26-01, 12:10 AM

Meilleur film de l'année!

Amélie is easily the best film I've seen this year
I agree! I saw it at the Toronto Film Festival back in September, where it won the People's Choice Award. If past winners (Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon and American Beauty) are any indication, Le Fabuleux Destin d'Amélie Poulain is a shoo-in for at least a couple of Oscars.

I've already pre-ordered my copy of the Limited Edition. It sounds like an amazing set: 2 DVDs, 1 Audio CD, autographed poster by Jeunet, polaroids of the garden gnomes , etc... And it looks like it has already sold out at Amazone, even though the release date is still two months away!

The lack of subtitles is not a problem -- those 12 years (!) of French have finally come in handy...

Cheers,
Old 10-26-01, 12:31 AM

To answer the original question:
Do any of you have any additional information?
Here are the full specs:
    DVD 1:
  • The (wonderful) film
  • Anamorphic 2.35:1 transfer
  • French DD 5.1 audio track
  • French DTS audio track
  • Commentary by director Jean-Pierre Jeunet
  • Subtitles: French only

DVD 2:
  • Theatrical trailer
  • Screen tests
  • Audrey Tautou's outtakes
  • Documentary: The making of a scene
  • "Foutaises": Short film that inspired the movie
  • Filmographies
  • Deleted scenes
  • Polaroids of the Garden Gnomes
  • Self-portraits by Jean-Pierre Jeunet
  • 8-Page booklet
  • Yann Tiersen's discography
  • Technical and artistic production notes
  • Jean-Pierre Jeunet Interview
  • Full screen format

CD:
  • Audio CD of the original soundtrack

Other stuff included in the tin:
  • 8 Polaroids of the Garden Gnomes (in an Air Mail envelope)
  • 8 Publicity photos
  • 1 Poster autographed by Jean-Pierre Jeunet
  • 20-Page theatrical booklet
And for those who do not wish to purchase the collector's edition, a "plain" 2-disc special edition will follow, on January 9th 2002. It will contain the same two DVDs found in the Limited Collector's Edition.

Cheers.

Last edited by Abstrakt; 10-26-01 at 12:34 AM.
Old 10-26-01, 01:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
If only it had english subs... I would snap that up in a heartbeat. One of my favorite directors - guess I'll have to wait for the crappy US release.
Old 10-26-01, 03:54 AM

Originally posted by Trigger
If only it had english subs... I would snap that up in a heartbeat. One of my favorite directors - guess I'll have to wait for the crappy US release.
You could also quickly learn french, you have till december...
Old 10-26-01, 12:54 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 110 Likes on 99 Posts
I would love a copy of that box set the tin, but amazon.fr claims it is unavailable, and don't even offer a pre-order.

Any other locations to order it from?
Old 10-27-01, 01:47 AM

Any other locations to order it from?
Sure, I pre-ordered mine from Cinestore.com. Amélie was a huge success in France... it's no surprise that it is already selling out.

Salut!
Old 10-27-01, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Does anyone know if Cinestore.com ships to the US? I only had two years of French in high school, but I want that tin with all that neat stuff in it. Also, do they charge your card immediately or when it ships?

Last edited by cynthia; 10-27-01 at 03:19 PM.
Old 10-27-01, 05:33 PM

Does anyone know if Cinestore.com ships to the US?
Yes, they do. I'm in Canada at the moment and have received a few orders from them in the past. Their shipping rates to the US and Canada are the same.

Also, do they charge your card immediately or when it ships?
They charged my VISA a couple of days after I placed the order.

If that's a problem, you could try Alapage.com. They are supposed to be reliable -- although I never tried them -- and their web site clearly states that they only charge you once your order has shipped.

Good luck!
Old 11-06-01, 02:53 AM

2.35:1 or 4:3

Hey Abstrakt
are you sure it's an OAR anamorphic edition?
Franch Amazon lists a 4:3 edition.
How can we have this information for sure?

My Collection
Old 11-06-01, 04:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

...ahh... why, of course it is an anamorphic OAR disc!... it's a French DVD, after all!...

http://www.dvdfr.com/dvd/fiche.php3?id=4495

http://www.dvdfr.com/dvd/fiche.php3?id=4496

. . . . . .
Old 11-06-01, 07:00 AM

Here in DC

The film played 2 nights at the AFI (American Film Institute) Theater in the Kennedy Center complex. It was part of the annual European Union film festival. I tried to see it Saturday
night but it was sold out. It begans a regular run this weekend at one of the theatres
that's part of the Cineplex Odeon chain.