Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Princess Mononoke 3 disc set?

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-01, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just read at a Finnish DVD site that "Princess Mononoke" will be released on DVD as a three disc set in Japan on 11/21. The set will supposedly include both the Japanese version and the "international version"; is language the only difference between these two versions, or are they different in length? Also included should be storyboards and a 20 min. documentary(although I don't know how they can take up a whole disc).

The same site also mentions another upcoming three disc set which includes the 3+ hour (!) documentary about the making of the movie.
From http://www.nausicaa.net/miyazaki/mh/MakingOfMH/:
Mononoke Hime wa koushite umareta (How Mononoke Hime Was Born), also known as The Making of Mononoke Hime, is a three-tape VHS video boxed set (total length 6 hours 40 minutes) released in Japan at the end of 1997.
Retail price for both sets is estimated at 4700 yen ($39 - ouch!).

Did any of you hear about this?

Last edited by Tyler_Durden; 09-05-01 at 04:02 PM.
Old 09-05-01, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"International version" disc probably contains the US DVD with alternate languages (French, Italian, etc).
So are they just throwing the U.S. DVD in along with the Japanese, and adding the 20 minute documentary as another disc? Sounds like a great set.

And am I missing something, or does the DVD of "How Mononoke Hime Was Born" contain the same content as the VHS release, and is therefore 6+ hours long?
Old 09-05-01, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Aghama
So are they just throwing the U.S. DVD in along with the Japanese, and adding the 20 minute documentary as another disc? Sounds like a great set.
It does sound like a great set:

3 Discs

Disc 1:

Dolby Digital 5.1 Japanese/English
English/Japanese subtitles

Disc 2:
Drawing for Anime (133mins)

Disc 3:
International Version which has Japanese, English, French, Kantonese, Italian, spanish, German, Portuguese dubs.

It would have been nice to see a DTS track included (I'm surprised none is listed) but I'll be damned if this set doesn't kick ass. Almost in the vein of Criterion's Brazil release if you ask me.

I can't wait.

And am I missing something, or does the DVD of "How Mononoke Hime Was Born" contain the same content as the VHS release, and is therefore 6+ hours long?
You're correct. The second 3-disc set for Mononoke Hime contains the same 6+ hour documentary already available on VHS. Frankly, I'm glad that this documentary set is getting DVD treatment. VHS is suck.
Old 09-05-01, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by raithen
It does sound like a great set:
I would respectfully disagree (obviously ). I can't think of a single reason why I would want the 3rd disc, and though I don't know about the 2nd I'm sure it's not worth re-buying the movie for. But hey, I can't complain about the price; very reasonable for a 3 disc Japanese release.
Old 09-05-01, 08:30 PM

It's a great price for both sets, but having the R1 Mononoke disc, I see no reason to get the Japanese version. I have the subtitled version, and I don't need the storyboards, frankly. And I see no reason to get the third disc with the French/Portugese/Pig Latin/etc/etc versions. Now, the other set, with the documentary stuff, is something I'd get. Six hours plus of material for $40 is a deal, especially since the VHS set went for $100 or so.
Old 09-05-01, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I would respectfully disagree (obviously ). I can't think of a single reason why I would want the 3rd disc, and though I don't know about the 2nd I'm sure it's not worth re-buying the movie for. But hey, I can't complain about the price; very reasonable for a 3 disc Japanese release.
I'm not keen on the 3rd disc (it is kind of pointless), but the second disc with the 2 hour + documentary makes this set a no-brainer for Miyazaki fans.

I have the R1 release, but I'll be quickly putting it up for auction on ebay in an anticipation of this set.

Cheers,

-matt
Old 09-05-01, 10:39 PM

But it's not a 2 hour documentary, it's just the film, with the storyboards as an alternate angle, which they've done on the other Ghibli releases. It's the other 3 disc set that has all the documentary footage.
Old 09-06-01, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Whoops, sorry. I meant 6+ hours.