Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

What R2 discs to get in UK?

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-01, 09:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm heading to London in a few weeks, and was wondering what R2 discs are worth getting while I'm there? What are some DVDs that aren't available in the US, or DVDs with special features that aren't on the R1 releases? Is there a list of these somewhere?

Also, is it possible to find French R2 releases in the UK or do I have to go to France for that? Thanks!
Old 07-27-01, 09:20 PM
wkc
Cool New Member

Check out

http://www.dvdcompare.org.uk/ . There are also DVDs available on UK R2 and not on R1.

Regards
Old 07-27-01, 09:34 PM

another thing...

snowchasse - You are probably already aware of this, and if so I apologize for the waste of post space.

FYI, you will need some kind of a converter that will enable you to watch PAL format DVDs when you come back to the land of NTSC format televisions. As I said, you are probably already aware of this. If not, consider this a heads up so you don't buy a bunch o' DVDs and not be able to play them when you get back.
Old 07-28-01, 12:35 PM

Yeah, you'll definitely need a PAL to NTSC video converter or more preferrably a multisystem TV!

Anyway, check out http://www.hongkonglegends.co.uk if you like martial arts films. Their DVDs are far superior to the discs in any other region. All "HKL" titles are 16X9 and loaded with supplemental features. I've got lots of them and I love 'em!
Old 07-28-01, 03:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't know what kind of movies you are into, but Girl On The Bridge was a really good movie. It's a French romance drama semi comedy in black and white. It's not going to be released over here on dvd. The disc is anamorphic with only the trailer as an extra. Check out Imdb for some reviews and a better description.
Old 07-28-01, 06:13 PM

Thanks for the responses so far.. I'll definitely pick up Girl on the Bridge and some of those Hong Kong Legends discs. I'm into all kinds of movies, but especially foreign films, so I'd be interested in any foreign films released in R2 that are superior to the R1 versions, or films that aren't available in R1.

Also, while I'm in London, where are some good places to buy DVDs? Thanks!
Old 07-28-01, 06:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by snowchasse
Thanks for the responses so far.. I'll definitely pick up Girl on the Bridge and some of those Hong Kong Legends discs. I'm into all kinds of movies, but especially foreign films, so I'd be interested in any foreign films released in R2 that are superior to the R1 versions, or films that aren't available in R1.

I have not picked it up yet, but Jean Luc Godard's Breathless is supposed to be a really nice release. Fox Lorber is releasing it in October, but if they stay true to form it probably won't be that great. I don't have any idea on what store's are good since I have not been back there for about 10 years.
Old 07-29-01, 03:19 PM

Originally posted by snowchasse

A few Pasolini titles have been released in the UK this year - "Salo" (which you can pick up instead of spending a small fortune on the OOP CC edn.), "The Decameron" and "The Canterbury Tales" all retail at £19.99 each.
I'm not too sure which shops to recommend in London, as although I go there every now and then, I (and most DVD fans I know) tend to buy discs online as that's where the real choice and savings are. There are, of course, the big chains such as Virgin, HMV, Borders etc., but if you like HK discs a quick walk through Chinatown will throw up a number of stores selling DVDs.
If you do go over to France, there are some decent R2 discs available there - "The Umbrellas of Cherbourg" and "Seul Contre Tous" (which includes the short "Carne") are just two worthy of a mention...