Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Perfect PAL to NTSC conversion is here. And it's region free!!

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Perfect PAL to NTSC conversion is here. And it's region free!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-01, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Mutant
Hey, we might be able to do a group purchase if the interested parties cooperate and maybe have one person (maybe even Geoff) contact AVDeals?

From this thread alone, I see the following people are at least interested in purchasing if the price comes down to $300 or less:
Trigger, Gypo66, Brett, Derfinot, Jepthah, and myself.

Anyone else?
I'm very interested in picking up a Malata myself, but unfortunately, I'm in Canada. So even if the player was reduced to $300 I'd probably be murdered by Customs charges. Sigh.

Personally, I'm waiting to see if the player drops to something close to $450 CDN (on the Canadian site). I'll jump at it if it ever reaches that plateau.

Cheers,

-matt
Old 08-12-01, 02:17 AM

Count me in at $300...
Old 08-12-01, 03:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This may be a really stupid question - but when the Malata converts PAL to NTSC for an NTSC tv - how is the audio? I understand that you can tweak the picture (if necessary) to get a near-perfect if not perfect visual experience. But is the audio converted perfectly? I ask because I am very sensitive to the "speed-up" effect. Thanks!
Old 08-13-01, 05:38 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

The audio is not changed at all. If its 5.1 DD, then it's 5.1 DD. 2.0 is 2.0. Thanfully, 95% of PAL DVDs use DD over the MPEG sound format (which is inferior).

I have the PAL UMBRELLAS OF CHERBOURG in my Malata right now and it is easily better than the Fox Lorber release, is 16x9 and the sound is perfecto, which means Fox Lorber just converted a 4:3 ltbx PAL transfer for their own DVD.
Old 08-13-01, 06:44 PM

Avdeals seems to be getting slow -- ordered last Sunday (more than a week) and still no shipment. I emailed them and they said they are getting behind on their modifications.

Hurry up and get here!
Old 08-13-01, 07:05 PM

My Malata arrived today (the option 2 player) and it's incredible! I tried the PAL R4 Ginger Snaps, PAL R2 Crying Freeman and the Anamorphic R1 Scars of Dracula and they all looked perfect!

Before this, on the Crapex, Ginge Snaps was squeezed fullscreen, Crying Freeman was stretched too wide and Scars of Dracula was also squeezed fullscreen. I'm a happy camper!
Old 08-13-01, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes, AVDeals is slow. I ordered mine on 8/3/2001 at 4:30 PM and didn't receive it until 8/13/2001 at 10:30 AM - and I live about an hour away from their Canadian warehouse. I should have drove over and picked one up.

Other than that though, I'm pretty happy with my first impressions. I turned on progressive scan and the player gives a great picture on my 34" widescreen TV. I've ordered 3 R2 HKL DVDs and hopefully I'll get those late this week or early next so I can try out the PAL > NTSC conversion. My only complaint has to be the remote. When I hold it I feel like if I squeeze too hard I could crush it. The thing is made of cheap, thin plastic.
Old 08-13-01, 07:57 PM

they're slow on the Malata's because the word has SPREAD.. I spoke to one of their people middle of last week and he said their web-order systems melted down twice... myself, I ordered mine on a Saturday and had it on Tuesday...
Old 08-13-01, 10:50 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

I am very glad I was one of the first. Avdeals is getting hammered with sales, which is good for them, and bad for them.

DVD's via 480p to my brand new 47" HDTV look very good and that's before the set has been properly calibrated.
Old 08-13-01, 10:55 PM
Banned

Thanks Matt for letting me know about this one, the past 48 hours I've been scouting international DVD sites like crazy, buying various TV season shows and Jackie Brown/Lost Highway and other DVDs.
I've ordered my Malata on Sunday evening, no shipment confirmation email yet, but I'm so happy!

Hey anyone knows of any other R2-6 online stores besides Blackstar and EzyDVD and ChaosMusic.com?
Old 08-13-01, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Lenny,

There is a bargains forum at www.thedvdforums.com that tends to post deals for free £5 Amazon.co.uk GCs, which you can use to get some pretty good deals on R2 titles since Amazon takes off the 17.5% VAT if you are having stuff shipped to the US.

There used to be a free £5 GC deal if you signed up for an e-mail account at lineone.net not sure if it is still active, you may want to check it out.

-Brett
Old 08-14-01, 07:28 AM

Originally posted by LennyNero
Hey anyone knows of any other R2-6 online stores besides Blackstar and EzyDVD and ChaosMusic.com?
I'd recommend www.dvdgo.com (R2) for Spanish DVDs and www.dddhouse.com for Hong Kong DVDs (R0 and R3).
Old 08-14-01, 09:51 AM

AVDeals' Malata Delivery-Interval

Any indication from AVDeals as to how far they are behind in processing/shipping the orders for the Malata?
Old 08-14-01, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I called them yesterday (Monday) before ordering. Usually, they would have shipped it the same day, but they said orders for this unit are overwhelming. They said it would most likely ship out on Friday.
Old 08-14-01, 10:55 AM

I ordered mine on Friday 8/3, they shipped it on Thursday 8/9 and I received it on Monday 8/13. I spoke to them and they had tons of orders to ship so they were going out in batches. They're very responsive and friendly so if you're really concerned give them a call. Otherwise figure up to 2 weeks.
Old 08-14-01, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, I just bought myself one as well. I've read everything there is to be read about this machine and seems as though it is an excellent player. I've even found a buyer for my ol' Sammy 709 who has given me just beautiful all region play for the last three years , but this seemed as though it was too good to pass up.
Old 08-14-01, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

MALATA DVD Players are NOT firmware upgradeable!!!

I just got my player today and I was sent a Region 1 player instead of the Region 0 player that I had paid for. So I called AVDeals and was told that neither of the Malata players is firmware upgradeable. In fact they have removed any mention of it from the website.

Apparentlty the first ones were, but the found that if they left the players in firmware upgradeable mode, then any little spike in power was causing the entire firmware to get erased, so they stopped doing it and removed that from the website.

Now the only difference between the two players is that one is region 0 by default and one is region 1 by default. So you have to ask yourself, is it work paying an extra $50 to avoid having to press a few buttons to change the region when you want to play a disc from another region?

Fortunately, they sent me the wrong player, instead of mailing it back for a replacement AVDeals is just going to refund the $50 to my credit card. Now I can use the extra $50 and toward a few non R1 titles. And I'll just program my pronto to do the region change for me.

-Brett
Old 08-14-01, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If that is true that they're not firmware upgradeable, then their Canadian site is falsely advertising that they are. I emailed them to find out what's what and if they are not upgradeable I want the extra $70 CDN back that I paid because I thought I was getting a firmware upgradeable version.
Old 08-14-01, 02:29 PM

Just got off the phone with AVDeals.. here's the skinny..

yes, they have 'disabled' the firmware upgradability in the machines for now till they figure out what causes the firmware to be wiped in a coupla machines..

yes, it it possible to 're-enable' the firmware upgradability with a coupla of solder points/jumpers. WHEN (not if) a firmware upgrade is available complete instructions will be available how to re-enable it, if you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself you will be able to ship it back to get it done (or take the instructions to a local shop to to the mod yourself)

yes, they are considering making it 'switchable' from upgrade to normal mode with a switch on the back.. but it was either hold up shipping till that was designed/tested or get the machines out..

either way.. you WILL be able to upgrade firmware one way or another when it's available...

an inconvenience to be sure, but at least they are upfront about it..

(as to the question of what's the $50 for? it was for the work to 'enable' the upgradability (apparently not in the stock R1 machines and the actual updating of the firmware to be R0 default..)

Last edited by Londo; 08-14-01 at 02:41 PM.
Old 08-14-01, 02:48 PM
Cool New Member

MALATA DVD Players are NOT firmware upgradeable!!!
Thanks to BRETT and LONDO; that and a phone call have cleared this. I did notice that they have already posted "work arounds" for some disk problems on th website. Also saw that the warranty seems to have changed from TWO years to ONE year. For those waiting; fifty units shipped yesterday (monday), and another fifty are expected to ship Friday or Saturday. Thanks again for the updates...
Old 08-14-01, 02:56 PM

as an addendum... they also said that IF you got one of the early machines that REALLY ARE FIRMWARE UPGRADABLE (basically they changed it last week, so if you got a R0 before the last week or so it is still upgradable) and you fall victim to geting 'wiped' by a power spike.. just call.. a new one will be on it's way right away... (or you can send back the MB for reprogramming if you're really handy with a screwdriver)
Old 08-14-01, 03:08 PM
Banned

Thanks Brett and carnifern, those forums and sites got plenty of what I was looking for!

Hmm.. so I've payed 50 more bucks for nothing then, just to have it default R0... when most discs are RCE anyway... damn. Oh well, I ordered mine on sunday evening, it's only been a day and a half so mine hasn't shipped yet, so they only ship now twice or so a week in batches of 50? hehe Hope mine will go out on Friday then
Old 08-14-01, 03:12 PM

Originally posted by LennyNero
Hmm.. so I've payed 50 more bucks for nothing then, just to have it default R0... when most discs are RCE anyway... damn. Oh well, I ordered mine on sunday evening, it's only been a day and a half so mine hasn't shipped yet, so they only ship now twice or so a week in batches of 50? hehe Hope mine will go out on Friday then
Actually, the R0 machines (at least mine) seem to raise the middle finger at RCE.. so far I've fed it Charlies Angels, The Patriot and Cannonball Run and it merrily played them while on R0.. while a region free Apex sat there and gave ME the finger...

Fear not.. so far everything I've dealt with AVDeals seem to indicate that they will make good on firmware upgrades, just possibly in a different form...
Old 08-14-01, 03:25 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Londo

Actually, the R0 machines (at least mine) seem to raise the middle finger at RCE.. so far I've fed it Charlies Angels, The Patriot and Cannonball Run and it merrily played them while on R0.. while a region free Apex sat there and gave ME the finger...

Fear not.. so far everything I've dealt with AVDeals seem to indicate that they will make good on firmware upgrades, just possibly in a different form...
Yeah, actually you're right, I've read others saying the same thing, that it plays RCE discs without problems too, even R2 RCEs. And for such a wonderful player I can wait a month even, I just want to have it.
Old 08-14-01, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I must say that the guys at AVDeals are some of the friendliest people I have ever talked to when calling up a company.

I am looking forward to putting my Malata through the paces tonight, from what I saw on my quick lunch break (when I ran home to set it up) I was quite impressed.

The picture quality is hundreds of times better than my old APEX 600a and no more stretching of my R2 WS titles...now I can finally watch the WS movies that I purposely bought from another region because they were not available in WS in R1.

Thank you AVDeals...
Thank you Malata...
Thank you DVDTalk (esp. Matt Stevens)

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.