Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Cheap Jackie Chan DVDs at K-mart

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-01, 07:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was at K-mart yesterday and noticed they had "Young Master" and "Young Tiger" for $4.99. They are put out by a production company called Front Row. I had read in an earlier post that Young Master was a good movie, so I picked it up. I wasn't dissappointed. The video was decent the dubbing was bad, but that just added humor to the already funny movie. It has sogreat fight scenes. Is it worth going back to pick up "Young Tiger"?
Old 07-18-01, 07:58 AM

the front row dvds are a mixed bag. In terms of quality some of them are ok, while others are almost unwatchable.

Young Tiger (or Rumble in Hong Kong, or whatever you want to call it), is not your typical Jackie Chan movie. He is not the main characters, but plays a villain. He doesn't have a whole lot of screen time. Its basically just a marketing ploy to sell dvds using jackies name. Even though these dvds are low priced I doubt you would watch this movie more than once.

Front Row does have the original Drunken Master, so you may want to pick that up instead. THe quality is poor, but the movie is fantastic so it makes it worth the 4-5 bucks you'll toss on it.
Old 07-18-01, 05:53 PM

"Young Tiger"

I have the Rumble in Hong Kong tape. This title is also known as Police Woman. The only reason you would want to pick up this flick is if you are a hard-core Jackie Chan fan trying to build a complete collection. The movie is horrible, and doesn't even really feature Jackie Chan. According to the sources I have read, this flick came out about 5 years before JC really became a star with Snake in The Eagle's Shadow. I watched it once after buying it, and have had no desire to do so again, and that was a long time ago.

I would go with JHosk's suggestion of picking up the el cheapo DVD of drunken master. Otherwise, I would take the five bux and go rent two or three good JC flicks.
You might even be able to pick up an el cheapo widescreen VHS tape of Snake in the Eagle's Shadow for the cash..that would also be on a par with the DM DVD suggestion.

Bottom line: Don't get it.
Old 07-18-01, 07:41 PM

Thanks for the info, I'll certainly be skipping the Tiger, but I will be on the lookout for Druunken Master.
Old 07-20-01, 03:34 PM
Banned

Young Tiger is NOT Rumble In Hong Kong. Young Tiger is a movie that Lo Wei put together after Jackie Chan left Lo Wei productions. The movie is really not a movie it is a bunch of scenes from different movies put in one movie.
Old 07-20-01, 05:22 PM

young tiger/police woman/rumble in hong kong

Dr. Wai - I wonder if perhaps there are two different movies with this same name?

Is this the movie you are referring to?
http://www.hkmdb.com/db/movies/view....isplay_set=eng

At the bottom of the description it does mention the "rumor" that a JC title by the same name exists.

The above quote on HKMDB would tend to give credence to the listing on this site:
http://www.bonkworld.org/jackiechan/filmlist.html

Which has Rumble in Hong Kong, Police Woman, and Young Tiger all as different titles for the same JC movie.

What sources of info do you have about Young Tiger? I am asking because I am a big JC fan and this issue is now confusing me.

Thx.
Old 07-21-01, 04:58 PM
Banned

elengineer, I have a bunch of books about JC and his films that talk about the titles for the films and it says that Young Tiger was
"made" by Lo Wei to cash in on the popularity of JC. Police Woman aka Rumble in Hong Kong was made in 1974 and was released after JC got big in the US. It's called Rumble in Hong Kong to cash in on the Rumble in the Bronx name. Young Tiger is just like Master of Disaster, Drunken Fist Boxing, and Fearless Hyena 2 in that they all "star" JC but he never made the movie. His scenes are all outtakes from other movies.