Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Michelle Yeoh Recommendations?

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-01, 10:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, what do you guys recommend as Michelle Yeoh's best films?

I currently have:
CTHD
That Bond film she's in
Supercop 2
Heroic Trio

On the way:
Butterfly & Sword
Tai Chi Master

Also, in heroic trio, who was the cutie that rode the bike and was handy with a shotgun?
Any recommendations for her?

Thanks,

Cyberdemon.
Old 07-18-01, 11:16 PM

Michelle Yeoh

A standard recommendation for her would be the movie Wing Chun. It is directed by Yuen Woo-Ping the same guy who did the action choreagraphy for CTHD and The Matrix along with literally a ton of other stuff. The movie from what I remember is pretty good. Lots of wires though. Overall a good flick in general, and if you are looking for Michelle Yeoh, this is a good one to pick up.
Old 07-18-01, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Michelle Yeoh Recommendations?

Originally posted by Cyberdemon

Also, in heroic trio, who was the cutie that rode the bike and was handy with a shotgun?
Any recommendations for her?

Thanks,

Cyberdemon.
I'm not sure if 'cutie' is quite the right adjective, but she's Maggie Cheung.
Old 07-19-01, 12:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Wing Chun is suggested alot - I picked it up and wasn't all that impressed - apparently, she was injured badly during filming so many of the fight scenes are not even her... The final fight looks as if a man is playing her part at times. I've set it aside for awhile and intend to give it another shot. With so many people recommending it, I'm sure it must be just me.

The sequel to Heroic Trio is Executioners - I own it but haven't watched it yet. I didn't like Heroic Trio much except the last 5 or 10 minutes made up for any bad things I could say about the film. I think in both of these cases, my expectations must've been a bit high when I watched them. I plan to give this one another shot after awhile. I'm also working my way towards Executioners.
Old 07-20-01, 02:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Michelle Yeoh hasn't really made too many movies. I'd suggest Wing Chun & Supercop. If you like your upcoming Tai Chi Master (I love it), you'll definitely want to get the Wing Chun which is a very similar style but with Michelle in the lead. You also might want to check out Royal Warriors. It's a very 80s modern action movie & can be had for about $5.

Executioners is the sequel to Heroic Trio & has the 3 main actresses again. My opinion doesn't mean much because I've only seen it dubbed on tv, but I can't recommend it. Very little of the fun of the first one.

Michelle also starred with Maggie Cheung in The Soong Sisters. I haven't seen it & have heard mixed things about it.

Maggie Cheung has made a ton of movies & had a wide variety of roles. She has some very funny scenes in Jackie Chan's Project A II & played his girlfriend in his Police Story movies. My favorite movie of hers is Comrades - Almost a Love Story. If you're looking for something more like Heroic Trio, I suggest Green Snake or maybe Dragon Inn.
Old 07-20-01, 02:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Here's a list of her films... Someone else can perhaps give you reviews of them...

Owl and Bumbo, The (1984)
Yes, Madam (1985)
Twinkle Twinkle Little Star (1985) ... Judo Instructor [cameo]
Royal Warriors (In the Line of Duty) (1986)
Magnificent Warriors (1987)
Easy Money (1987)
Police Story III Super Cop (1992)
Tai-Chi Master, The (1993)
Heroic Trio, The (1993) ... Ching, The Invisible Woman
Holy Weapon (1993)
Executioners (1993)
Project S (1993)
Butterfly Sword (1993) ... Lady Ko
Wing Chun (1994)
Wonder Seven (1994) ... Ying
Shaolin Popey II Messy Temple (1994)
Ah Kam (1996) ... A Gam
Soong Sisters, The (1997) ... Sung Ngoi Ling
Moonlight Express (1999)
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (2000) ... Yu Shu Lien

[information gathered from Hong Kong Movie Database] www.hkmdb.com
Old 07-20-01, 08:25 AM

I'd go with what Lokimok said...Supercop and Wing Chun are the finest Michelle Yeoh flicks I've seen. I think in Supercop she even outshines the man himself Jackie...

I own quite a few of the ficks Trigger menioned in the list from HKMDB...Most of them I have only seen once so I'm going on memory:

Yes, Madam: pretty solid flick....if I recall Michelle isn;t the main character...a nice fight at the end with this really huge muscular woman....not a definite must have but decent

Butterfly and Sword: A lot of people really like this movie but I was disappointed. If you are a fan of the whole fantasy/wuxia
scene you may like it. For me it was a little too out there. For a movie with Michlle Yeoh and Donne Yen I thought the fight sequences were kind of lame.

Wonder Sevem: saw this recently. A mdoern day flick with your typical 80's tv show plot. A secret governmetn team of seven elite trained recruits. Can't remember the entire plot, but MIchelle Yeoh plays the bad girl with aheart of gold type of role. Some ok action and fight sequences. The action at the end is severly over-the-top....

Project S (aka Supercop 2): An ok flick, but doesn't compare to the first. Some decent fights, and Michelle really takes a beating in quite a few of the fights by some extremely large dudes.

Heroic Trio / Executioners: Heroic Trio is the first in the series and the better of the two films. These both have some decent stunt work (some cool stuff with motorcycles). The second one Executioners is a bit over the edge and by far the lesser of the two films. Heroic Trio is worth a look.

Wing Chun: A yuen Wo-Ping classic. Alot of memorable scenes in this one (tofu scene, etc.). Very light hearted flick. I thought it needed a bit more edge, but hte fights are fantastic and probably some of wo-pings best. This is a definite MUST HAVE.

Supercop: Michelle is great in this. She goes stunt for stunt with Jackie. No lulls in this flick....another MUST HAVE.

Tai CHi Master: This is more of a Jet Li flick than a Michelle Yeoh flick, but she has a couple of good fight scenes, and supports Jet quite nicely. A great flick....MUST HAVE.

I also have Magnificent Warriors but I can't remember what I thought of it.

I'd start off with Wing Chun, Tai Chi Master, and Supercop. If you liek those then pick up Heroic Trio, and a few yes Madam, and a few others. Michelle Yeoh is great and my favorite female HK star, but she has done some very mediocre films...
Old 07-20-01, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Isn't Yes Madaam that flick with Cinthia Rothrock? One of Michelle's earlier films before she retired - it's very very dated and doesn't hold up well with regard to styles - it's very 80's. The action looks top notch though. I never saw the whole thing.
Old 07-21-01, 03:58 AM

Thanks everybody for your comments/recommendations - I look forward to trying a great many of the fims mentioned.
From the replies, I guess I'd better make Wing Chun my next HK flick purchase.

Cyberdemon
Old 07-21-01, 01:31 PM

Yes Madam

No, Yes Madam (AKA In The Line Of Duty 2) was filmed before ROYAL WARRIORS (AKA ITLOD 1), but released after.

There is always a bit of confusion about which films belong in the "In The Line Of Duty" series. Here's what we currently believe it to be:

* Royal Warriors (1986 - Michelle Yeoh)
* Yes, Madam! (1985 - Michelle Yeoh)
* In the Line of Duty 3: Force of the Dragon (1988 - Cynthia Khan)
* In the Line of Duty 4: Witness (1989 - Cynthia Khan)
* In the Line of Duty 5: Middle Man (1990 - Cynthia Khan)
* In the Line of Duty 6: Forbidden Arsenal (1991 - Cynthia Khan)
* In the Line of Duty 7: Sea Wolves (1991 - Cynthia Khan)

Cynthia Khan replaced Michelle Yeoh after the first two films because Yeoh (previously known as Michelle Khan) "retired" to marry multimillionaire Dickson Poon, head of D&B studios and producer of several of Michelle's films including "Royal Warriors" and "Magnificent Warriors." Bored with being a housewife, Yeoh divorced Poon in the early 1990s and almost immediately made "Police Story 3: Supercop" with Jackie Chan. Cynthia Khan, a Taiwanese actress, derived her name from "Michelle Khan" and "Cynthia Rothrock."

Jeff
HKFLIX.com
Old 07-21-01, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Owl and Bumbo is Michelle's first film, and those of you who know her as a fighting machine will find her role painful to watch. She's a ninny schoolteacher at a weekend class for high school dropouts. The movie stars Samo Hung and George Lam as two crooks who are forced into doing a big societal favor or else they would be exposed. ( really didn't explain it that well, but it is an entertaining movie.
Old 07-22-01, 01:02 AM

I just watched Magnificent Warriors last week and thoroughly enjoyed it.

It's set during the Japanese occupation of China in WWII. Michelle plays a pilot who gets involved with a resistance movement while trying to smuggle a ruler out of an occupied town. There's not a lot of deep characterization (most everyone is playing a "type"), but the action is virtually non-stop. Kung fu, gunplay, explosions, you-name-it. And Michelle could teach Indiana Jones a thing or two about using a bullwhip...!