Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Hot Deals
Reload this Page >

MoviePass Beta Invite (Unlimited Movies in Theater)

Hot Deals Post and Discuss Non-DVD Bargains and Sales!

MoviePass Beta Invite (Unlimited Movies in Theater)

Old 11-08-12, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 81 Likes on 69 Posts
Re: MoviePass Beta Invite (Unlimited Movies in Theater)

I activated last week, first movie was Hotel Transylvania (took my boy). Only awkwardness was saying "One adult, on THIS, and one child, on THIS card".
Went on Tuesday when they apparently had a special, small popcorn for 2.00. So we had popcorn too
Saw Looper Sunday night, Iron Fists last night, and Pitch Perfect tonight. None of those, except perhaps HT and Looper, would I have 'paid' for.
As long as they start a movie right around 1700, I can get there while the previews are half over and be set. Tonight got me into 'saving-money' land, 2 full price and 2 matinees. Also earned a free movie ticket and a free popcorn with the Crown club.
I don't know if I'll burn out, and there's certain situations/demographics this isn't ideal for, but I'm liking it so far.
The fine print says you have to keep your receipts - have y'all been keeping yours or throwing them away? I can't imagine they go to that level of detail and I don't want to keep these tons of little pieces of paper around.
Old 11-09-12, 02:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 230 Likes on 164 Posts

You should have gone to the theater the day before, signed in with a movie you didn't want to watch, then bought him a ticket for it

Just realized from the mobile website there's a menu on the upper left with an option to check what movies you have signed in for so far.

Argo, Flight, Wreck-It Ralph, Taken 2 (3 tickets) and Skyfall (3 tickets), and 3 tickets left for this week Going to test out 3D today (paying the regular ticket with the movie card and then handing over $3.25 for the upgrade) and IMAX on Sunday ($6.50 out of pocket). $7 in AMC movie cash.
Old 11-09-12, 03:14 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FYI, Skyfall ETX are available from the mobile website. Woot!!!
Old 11-09-12, 06:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You'll probably get a "card can't be authorized" error when you try to buy the ETX ticket. I've found they often have the "fork and screen" showtimes on the app instead of the regular showtimes and even though you can check in for it, the card still isn't authorized for more than a regular ticket dollar amount.
Old 11-09-12, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by GatorDeb
You should have gone to the theater the day before, signed in with a movie you didn't want to watch, then bought him a ticket for it

Just realized from the mobile website there's a menu on the upper left with an option to check what movies you have signed in for so far.

Argo, Flight, Wreck-It Ralph, Taken 2 (3 tickets) and Skyfall (3 tickets), and 3 tickets left for this week Going to test out 3D today (paying the regular ticket with the movie card and then handing over $3.25 for the upgrade) and IMAX on Sunday ($6.50 out of pocket). $7 in AMC movie cash.
Let us know how that works out for you. (srs) That's a good idea, even though I don't like 3D.

Biggest disadvantage for me seems to be that you can't purchase tickets for midnight premieres in advance.

Also, if anyone is serious about signing up, I'm happy to send out an invite. Have sent out a bunch and still not gotten the free month.
Old 11-09-12, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 737 Likes on 364 Posts

Originally Posted by gp1086
Biggest disadvantage for me seems to be that you can't purchase tickets for midnight premieres in advance.
Why not? How would they know what time or what movie that you actually purchased? Check in for something that you're never gonna see.
Old 11-10-12, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
Why not? How would they know what time or what movie that you actually purchased? Check in for something that you're never gonna see.
Has anyone tried this and had it work?

I guess the only disadvantage then is that you still need to go to the theatre vs. Fandango, but that's not too big of an ordeal.
Old 11-10-12, 04:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

As I've written multiple times, I've signed in for one movie and purchased another countless times by now, at least six Signing in pretty much puts $XX.XX in the card, that being the max your theater charges for a regular ticket.
Old 11-13-12, 11:47 PM

As I've written multiple times, I've signed in for one movie and purchased another countless times by now, at least six Signing in pretty much puts $XX.XX in the card, that being the max your theater charges for a regular ticket.
It doesn't work though. Do you have to add quantity(ies) or purchase each ticket separately?
Old 11-14-12, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't get the question... I buy them at the theater, one ticket per day. If I need three I go on three different days and "buy" different movies then get three tickets for the same movie at the box office.

Saw Wreck-It Ralph 3D tonight. Went when the regular ticket price was highest, used the MoviePass card to buy a regular movie (had already watched Wreck-It Ralph 2D so I used Cloud Atlas which I don't plan on seeing), then paid $3.25 for the 3D. I just have to make sure I go after the matinee cutoff when the ticket prices are highest to just pay the $3.25 for 3D. IMAX is $6.50, testing that out this weekend with Bond Tons of cool 3D movies coming out and that theater is just five minutes away! (two theaters five minutes away in opposite direction from where I live).
Old 11-14-12, 12:29 AM

Can you clarify that? Sound like you signed in for one movie and purchased 6 tickets.
Old 11-14-12, 01:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Want to watch Bond with mom and sis on Friday.
Monday: Go to theater, check in for Frankenweenie, go to box office, "buy" ticket for Bond for Friday.
Tuesday: Go to theater, check in for Hotel Transylvania, go to box office, "buy" ticket for Bond for Friday.
Wednesday: Go to theater, check in for Bond, go to box office, "buy" ticket for Bond for Friday.

You then would not be able to see Frankenweenie or Hotel Transylvania (unless you use another movie to buy a ticket for it if you change your mind later). I don't really pay attention to what I sign in for, I just pick any movie I haven't signed in for yet. There's more movies in the theater than movies that I want to see (which are plenty as it is).

It really isn't that complicated I've done that scenario twice now, once for Taken 2 and once for Bond. I had to use four movies I didn't want to watch.
Old 11-14-12, 03:39 AM

I was planing to purchase "Mettropolitan Opera: Otello Encore" but its not on the Mobile app. :/ So I can use that to upgrade for Twilight Saga Marathon.
Old 11-14-12, 04:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah most special events are not available, just "regular" movies. But you can "buy" a regular movie and go to the special event (paying extra if applicable out of your own pocket) if you want to go to a special event! Just pick another "regular movie" you didn't want to see.
Old 11-14-12, 01:46 PM

Unfortantely I already used all the movies on the app. There's nothing to buy right now until Thursday/Friday.
Old 11-16-12, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by iNCREDiPiNOY
I was planing to purchase "Mettropolitan Opera: Otello Encore" but its not on the Mobile app. :/ So I can use that to upgrade for Twilight Saga Marathon.
I thought you were able to purchase Marathons with Moviepass? Couldn't you purchase the Twilight Saga with the app?
Old 11-16-12, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Marathons are substantially more than a regular movie ticket ($26 vs. $10 in Vegas), doubt the card goes that high, I haven't seen marathons as selectable but I do see special events (older movies, operas, etc.) as selectable.
Old 11-20-12, 04:21 PM

Cancellation Policy Updates

Hi,

It has been a very exciting six weeks since we relaunched, and we hope you've been enjoying your MoviePass as much as we've enjoyed creating it! We've received a ton of great customer feedback recently, and we've been taking comments into consideration as we continue to grow and expand. One of the main areas of feedback has been related to our cancellation policy and in an effort to provide a better user experience and a higher level of transparency, we have simplified things for you.

If you decide to cancel MoviePass within your first month of membership, you will be charged a cancellation fee of the difference between your monthly MoviePass rate and the total dollar amount of the movies you saw. If you're paying $30 dollars a month for MoviePass and you saw 5 movies at a cost of $10 each, you would pay a $20 cancellation fee. If your subscription fees are more then the cost of the tickets, you will be credited back the difference.

After your first month of membership, there will be a flat cancellation fee that is based on how long you have been a subscriber. The breakdown is as follows:

If account is cancelled within months 2 or 3, cancellation fees are $75
If account is cancelled within months 4, 5 or 6, cancellation fees are $60
If account is cancelled within months 7, 8 or 9, cancellation fees are $40
If account is cancelled within months 10 or 11, cancellation fees are $20

After your year long commitment, you will be able to cancel your MoviePass account at any time without cancellation fees.

We have a lot of things in store for MoviePass and your feedback has been invaluable. Our full terms and conditions may be viewed here; if you have any questions or feedback about this policy, or anything else MoviePass related, please reach out to our MoviePass Concierge via email at [email protected], live chat, or phone at (877) 646-2892.
Old 11-21-12, 02:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Who would ever want to cancel?? The only issue I see is if they change the terms you should be able to cancel for free, i.e. you can only watch a total of 20 movies per month or something like that, everyone gets to cancel within the two months after the announcement.
Old 11-21-12, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I agree - if you're a big movie fan / watcher - this deal is pretty ridiculous. On my third movie of every month I start saving money.
Old 11-21-12, 12:57 PM

I purchased ROTG for $12.50 @ night and upgrade 3D ($11) for $1.50 cash back morning Showtime.
Old 11-21-12, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 81 Likes on 69 Posts

That sounds reasonably fair, or at least no more onerous than any other cancellation policy. I do agree that with any material change to the program, people should be able to cancel with no penalty within X days.

I think I've seen 7 movies so far, which gets me at 4.28 each, and earned a free ticket, free popcorn, free drink. And seen at least 2 or 3 movies I would not have seen otherwise, but that I did enjoy. I'll probably see Legend of the Guardians over the next week or so.

I think in the 2 years prior to joining Moviepass, I have seen 7 movies total. Since I don't have cable and I cancelled my Netflix and my Hulu, the price balances out. I don't often watch movies at home but 'going to the movies' is a little different. Haven't tried any of the special maneuvers yet though.
Old 11-22-12, 04:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by iNCREDiPiNOY
I purchased ROTG for $12.50 @ night and upgrade 3D ($11) for $1.50 cash back morning Showtime.
Unfortunately that doesn't for me because my theaters only process refunds to the card if you use the card.

That's the only thing I would personally not do even if I could. Getting rewards is fine, switching movies fine, but not getting cash back from the card's use.

For the $30 and an extra $3.25, my tally so far (and I still have until the 30th when my first month is up), I have seen seven movies, one of them twice (regular and 3D), and for two of those movies I had two extra tickets for mom and sister, so 12 tickets so far. Taking them to see Anna Karerina next And still got a few movies to watch myself. Out of pocket is $3.25 for 3D, $6.50 for IMAX, $9.75 for IMAX 3D. I have $9 in rewards that can be used for tickets or concessions. I don't eat theater food (not because of the price but because of the calories) so that's an extra 2 matinee tickets!

Even at just the seven movies I've seen so far (not counting the one I saw twice and the extra tickets), that's $4.75 for six regular movies and one 3D, and I get to go when I want and are not tied to Matinees. Hoping to catch one each Fri and Sat and two Sun, plus one more next week Fri, making that five more movies, so 12 movies. Two more 3D and one IMAX so $30 + $3.25 + $3.25 + $3.25 + $6.50 = $46.25 for 8 regular movies, 3 3D movies, and 1 IMAX, or $5.78 each (plus the 4 extra tickets I already got, the two more I'll get for Anna Karerina, and the movie I sat twice, so that's 7 extra tickets and brings the average down to $2.43).

Last edited by GatorDeb; 11-22-12 at 04:50 AM.
Old 11-22-12, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So I went off that idea and bought a regular ticket for night showing then exchanged it for the matinee showing 3D.... SAME PRICE. I am stoked, I just got a free 3D movie ticket for Life of Pi tomorrow Gonna go see if the kiddies are too bad. Gonna try to do 3D matinees on weekdays. Thee other movies I prefer to go at night in the middle of the week. Can't believe I just got a 3D movie free ha.
Old 11-23-12, 07:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

After reading through this thread, it certainly sounds like something that would help me get back into the theaters more often. If someone has invites, please LMK. Thanks.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.