Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Hot Deals
Reload this Page >

Samsung HDTV @ Best Buy

Community
Search
Hot Deals Post and Discuss Non-DVD Bargains and Sales!

Samsung HDTV @ Best Buy

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-09, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Samsung HDTV @ Best Buy

This was obviously a big error, and iam sorry but bestbuy shouldnt have to be held responsible for something where a pricing error is in the thousands of dollars.
now its one thing if we are talking like ten or twenty bucks but were talking like a 1500 dollar price difference.
so no you cant honestly expect them to honor them for that price.

the only bad thing on bestbuys part is they charge your card immeadiately when you purchase even if an item wont ship for awhile or is out of stock, meaning the only thing is they have your money for a few weeks before it gets refunded to you.

anyone who really thought they would get a tv for that price, should have known better.
and they wording in there tos (you probably didnt read) when you click to buy something.
Old 08-12-09, 08:23 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by RustyMuffler
Aw, shucks. I guess you're right. I'll go sit in the corner and eat my pie.
Wah wah, I couldn't rip off a store, WAH....

Originally Posted by Cantide61
"I don't blame people for their mistakes, but I do ask that they pay for them."
Jurassic Park. I win!
Old 08-12-09, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Bandoman
That, in a nutshell, is the problem with society today.
One of the maaaaaaaany problems.
Old 08-12-09, 08:58 PM

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090812/..._pricing_error

Check it out.
Old 08-12-09, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

wow...it actually made it to AP...

really, the only reason to get in on these things is for coupons or minor credits that you get from the misprice. and the very very slim chance of actually getting an item. the way i see it, if i get it, good. if not, meh, life goes on.
Old 08-13-09, 12:09 AM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by D.Pham00
wow...it actually made it to AP...

really, the only reason to get in on these things is for coupons or minor credits that you get from the misprice. and the very very slim chance of actually getting an item. the way i see it, if i get it, good. if not, meh, life goes on.
I agree, but I will be keeping my eye open for a class action suit though, and probably sign up if there is one. Just because BB has a policy doesn't mean that it will stand up to a legal challenge. Who knows, some hotshot attorney may score a decent award for the plaintiffs.
Old 08-13-09, 01:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by hiroic
I agree, but I will be keeping my eye open for a class action suit though, and probably sign up if there is one. Just because BB has a policy doesn't mean that it will stand up to a legal challenge. Who knows, some hotshot attorney may score a decent award for the plaintiffs.
The hotshot attorneys are busy fighting battles they believe can be won. This one, and your hopes, are so ridiculous that it doesn't merit further comment.
Old 08-13-09, 02:02 AM
Cool New Member

Mosskeeto,

What's with the sarcastic remarks? I'm not claiming that I'm entitled to anything, advocating for a lawsuit, nor whining for a HDTV to be delivered to me for $10. All I'm saying that if there is a class action lawsuit, I'll be interested in signing up, as there is a chance I could walk away with something.

All of this came about during a casual conversation with a co-worker who is an attorney with experience in contract law, who stated that a successful legal claim is possible. Whether it actually happens, who's to say?

One other thing, while I'm not an attorney, but I've worked in the legal field for awhile, and you'd be surprised at how many cases that are supposedly without merit until they are settled or actually won.
Old 08-13-09, 02:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Mosskeeto,

What's with the sarcastic remarks? I'm not claiming that I'm entitled to anything, advocating for a lawsuit, nor whining for a HDTV to be delivered to me for $10. All I'm saying that if there is a class action lawsuit, I'll be interested in signing up, as there is a chance I could walk away with something.

All of this came about during a casual conversation with a co-worker who is an attorney with experience in contract law, who stated that a successful legal claim is possible. Whether it actually happens, who's to say?

One other thing, while I'm not an attorney, but I've worked in the legal field for awhile, and you'd be surprised at how many cases that are supposedly without merit until they are settled or actually won.

And that's the problem. Everyone is like "We'll I'll do it because there is a chance I could get something free"

How about this. How about you get a job and then just buy stuff instead of leeching off everyone else hoping for something free.
Old 08-13-09, 05:11 AM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by glassdragon
And that's the problem. Everyone is like "We'll I'll do it because there is a chance I could get something free"

How about this. How about you get a job and then just buy stuff instead of leeching off everyone else hoping for something free.
Look I'm not here to start a fight, I apologize for offending you. If you disagree with my position, I respect that, and appreciate a good debate. However, with regard to your second point, please refrain from comments like this. I have a job (at times two), and fulfill my financial obligations.

If (and I stress if) BB is liable for their mistake, I am willing to utilize that to my advantage. The way I see it, the legal system is what it is. If people are dissatisfied, they should get informed and involved.
Old 08-13-09, 05:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Look I'm not here to start a fight, I apologize for offending you.
I think you're confusing "offend" with "disgust."
Old 08-13-09, 06:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 221 Likes on 177 Posts

Boy, the new members are sure coming out of the woodwork on this one. It's interesting, at least to me, that those new members are the only ones who think that they are entitled to something here.
Old 08-13-09, 07:14 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
I think you're confusing "offend" with "disgust."
Old 08-13-09, 07:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I miss danol!
Old 08-13-09, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by mndtrp
Boy, the new members are sure coming out of the woodwork on this one. It's interesting, at least to me, that those new members are the only ones who think that they are entitled to something here.
They just haven't been around long enough to become assimilated to the pack mentality and pick & choose morality of this forum. Plenty of veterans taking advantage of these "mistakes."

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/search.php?searchid=3112350

That said, expecting something for nothing is ridiculous. Expressing outrage over not getting something for nothing is laughable.
Old 08-13-09, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

If it was $200 or $300 less than normal I can see them honoring it, but for $10? No way.
Old 08-13-09, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Cantide61
Why shouldn't we be entitled?
With that attitude, our future is doomed
Old 08-13-09, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Heat
If it was $200 or $300 less than normal I can see them honoring it, but for $10? No way.
well, even 400 less is what, 20%? that could just be a sale.
Old 08-13-09, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by JackBurton
They just haven't been around long enough to become assimilated to the pack mentality and pick & choose morality of this forum. Plenty of veterans taking advantage of these "mistakes."

That said, expecting something for nothing is ridiculous. Expressing outrage over not getting something for nothing is laughable.
a lot of times, people put price mistake on something that is priced significantly lower than the norm, but that could just be a sale or a price drop, or perhaps the item went on clearance. for example, just a few days ago, i got a 5 handset cordless dect 6.0 phone for $30 in store. checked online, it was $120.
Old 08-13-09, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Okay this was on the TODAY show this morning. Best Buy quite plainly stated that they will NOT be fulfilling any orders from this pricing error. So that's pretty much the final word. A Miami television "news" version of the story:

http://www.nbcmiami.com/around-town/...-53043522.html

Man, those posts in the article are ridiculous. Makes the tiffs in this thread seem like child's play!
Old 08-13-09, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Really? What mail-in catalog did he get his GED in law from? Because a first year law student who's taken 3 weeks of contract law classes knows better than that.
Old 08-13-09, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by JackBurton

"Plenty?" Your link shows 29 threads going back to the beginning of the forum.

It should also be noted that 4 of the last 5 "pricing mistake" threads were for items at Circuit City. RIP, CC.

One of the reasons I like the community at DVDTalk is that, for the most part, the people here aren't money-grubbing assholes looking to exploit everyone else's mistakes for their own personal gain.

Anybody that thinks BB should be held liable in any way for this is an asshole, pure and simple.
Old 08-13-09, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The CNN ticker had a small blurb "Best Buy will not honor 9.99 HDTV deal."

From there I came here and as always I was not disappointed. You guys crack me up - good fun!!

If you are upset with Best Buy, don't shop there. I don't. If you expect something for nothing you are about 10 years late to the internet. Those were the days, free DVDs galore.

Well, I digress. As much as I loathe Best Buy I would have to side with them on this one BUT them charging you for something and then not shipping it???? Sounds like they are setting themselves up with that move.
Old 08-13-09, 10:32 AM
Banned

Yep the AMERICAN PEOPLE (and make no mistake about it. These are kinds of things that tend to happen only in this country wherein its monstrous citizens expect everything to be handed out to them.) truly infuriate me.

Its hilarious people wont let this go and are trying to argue with customer service associates and trying to sue or whatever when Best Buy's official policy states that clearly what happens when pricing errors occur.
Old 08-13-09, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts

Originally Posted by wildcatlh
Really? What mail-in catalog did he get his GED in law from? Because a first year law student who's taken 3 weeks of contract law classes knows better than that.
Pshaw. You state this like you are a lawyer or something.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.