DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Hot Deals (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hot-deals-2/)
-   -   Samsung HDTV @ Best Buy (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hot-deals/559708-samsung-hdtv-%40-best-buy.html)

hiroic 08-12-09 06:17 AM

Samsung HDTV @ Best Buy

I can't post a link due to post count, but search for Samsung 52 inch HDTV model LN52A650 SKU 8749287, at bestbuy.com, its selling for 9.99!

Don't know how long this will last or if they'll honor my order- but good luck!

movieguru 08-12-09 06:37 AM

Re: Samsung HDTV @ Best Buy

Originally Posted by hiroic (Post 9638411)
I can't post a link due to post count, but search for Samsung 52 inch HDTV model LN52A650 SKU 8749287, at bestbuy.com, its selling for 9.99!

Don't know how long this will last or if they'll honor my order- but good luck!

The website won't let the item go past checkout. Says the delivery function is down.

LakersGM 08-12-09 06:41 AM

I tried it and it won't let me buy because the "delivery system is temporarily unavailable."

You can bet your butt I'll be checking it later though. :0)

Snowmaker 08-12-09 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by LakersGM (Post 9638427)
I tried it and it won't let me buy because the "delivery system is temporarily unavailable."

Same here. Its probably supposed to be $999. That's last year's model.

hiroic 08-12-09 07:20 AM

BB did process my order and issued an order number, so we'll see if they will honor it. Anyone know if they are legally obligated to do so? Thanks, and I apologize if I got people's hopes up.

Vipper II 08-12-09 07:45 AM

Perfect. The day Best Buy has a mistake to try to take advantage of is the same day their website decides to act up. I don't expect the orders to actually be honored, but I'd still like to be able to give it a shot.

Snowmaker 08-12-09 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by hiroic (Post 9638458)
BB did process my order and issued an order number, so we'll see if they will honor it. Anyone know if they are legally obligated to do so? Thanks, and I apologize if I got people's hopes up.

http://www.examiner.com/x-14795-Page...il-at-Best-Buy

Obi-Wanma 08-12-09 08:45 AM

Item is no longer listed on Best Buy's Website.

Phod 08-12-09 08:52 AM

It's still there. I assume if you try and buy it for $9.99 that they can't switch it back to the normal price and charge your card accordingly :)

rfduncan 08-12-09 09:28 AM

Now listed at $1,999.99. Dead. :rip:

Obi-Wanma 08-12-09 09:38 AM

No, it's not still listed. The item that comes up when you search for the model number is a different TV. A 55 incher.

RustyMuffler 08-12-09 09:48 AM

Got on this at about 2:15am. Order went through and I have confirmation number with scheduled deliver, but most likely Best Buy will wiggle their way out of it since it spread like wildfire all night long. Still, something to consider...

Best Buy's website states:

“The Best Buy Web site is created, operated and controlled by Best Buy in the State of Minnesota, United States of America. The laws of the State of Minnesota will govern the Legal Notices and Conditions of Use without giving effect to any principles or conflicts of laws.”

According to Minnesota Law:

“325F.67 FALSE STATEMENT IN ADVERTISEMENT.
Any person, firm, corporation, or association who, with intent to sell or in anywise dispose of merchandise, securities, service, or anything offered by such person, firm, corporation, or association, directly or indirectly, to the public, for sale or distribution, or with intent to increase the consumption thereof, or to induce the public in any manner to enter into any obligation relating thereto, or to acquire title thereto, or any interest therein, makes, publishes, disseminates, circulates, or places before the public, or causes, directly or indirectly, to be made, published, disseminated, circulated, or placed before the public, in this state, in a newspaper or other publication, or in the form of a book, notice, handbill, poster, bill, label, price tag, circular, pamphlet, program, or letter, or over any radio or television station, or in any other way, an advertisement of any sort regarding merchandise, securities, service, or anything so offered to the public, for use, consumption, purchase, or sale, which advertisement contains any material assertion, representation, or statement of fact which is untrue, deceptive, or misleading, shall, whether or not pecuniary or other specific damage to any person occurs as a direct result thereof, be guilty of a misdemeanor, and any such act is declared to be a public nuisance and may be enjoined as such.
The duty of a strict observance and enforcement of this law and prosecution for any violation thereof is hereby expressly imposed upon the attorney general, and it shall be the duty of the county attorney of any county wherein a violation of this section shall have occurred, upon complaint being made, to prosecute any person violating any of the provisions of this section.”

So, the law explicitly states that "whether or not pecuniary or other specific damage to any person occurs"..."any such act is declared to be a public nuisance"...

The law requires the attorney general to "prosecute any person violating any of the provisions of this section" simply because the false ad was a public nuisance.

However, the law requires this "upon complaint being made".

So if enough people got together and sued them, they would have to honor it much like the Dell fiasco a while back. But with all of the timid, "aw, shucks" wimps running amok now days, I don't see that happening. It's how companies like Best Buy get away with pretty much whatever they want.

cpgator 08-12-09 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by RustyMuffler (Post 9638686)
But with all of the timid, "aw, shucks" wimps running amok now days, I don't see that happening. It's how companies like Best Buy get away with pretty much whatever they want.

I believe you don't quite understand the laws regarding this sort of thing... It was a simple pricing error on the website, not something to get upset over.

RustyMuffler 08-12-09 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by cpgator (Post 9638832)
I believe you don't quite understand the laws regarding this sort of thing... It was a simple pricing error on the website, not something to get upset over.

Aw, shucks. I guess you're right. I'll go sit in the corner and eat my pie.

Trevor 08-12-09 11:53 AM

"Wiggle their way out of it"? I can't believe anyone could think they deserve the item at that price.

JustinCleveland 08-12-09 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by Trevor (Post 9639011)
"Wiggle their way out of it"? I can't believe anyone could think they deserve the item at that price.

This is the internet--unearned entitlement is a way of being.

b2net 08-12-09 01:17 PM

They probably had a great sale and the Big Lots hoarders found it...
rotfl

D.Pham5GLTE (>60GB) 08-12-09 01:42 PM

So if enough people got together and sued them, they would have to honor it much like the Dell fiasco a while back. But with all of the timid, "aw, shucks" wimps running amok now days, I don't see that happening. It's how companies like Best Buy get away with pretty much whatever they want.

Goes without fail, everytime there's a huge misprice, there's someone who insists that they should get it. well, good luck with that! Let me know how it goes!

Cantide61 08-12-09 03:46 PM

Why shouldn't we be entitled? We aren't the ones that made the mistake, just capitalized on it. It's amazing how much these companies get away with on a daily basis because of our mistakes. For instance do you think that they'd be forgiving if we were making a payment on an item and accidentally typed the wrong amount? Hell no, they'd hit us with penalties and fees as fast as they could. As far as I'm concerned Best Buy owes me for the countless times that I have been screwed by their lack of organization. It's time that they pay for mistakes. Yes, it could have been a typo. Yes, it could have been a legitimate mistake, but the first thing any student who has lost points for spelling, grammar, punctuation, or, hell anyone who's has ever taken a Desktop Publishing or Multimedia class will tell you, CHECK YOUR WORK!

"I don't blame people for their mistakes, but I do ask that they pay for them."

Trevor 08-12-09 04:17 PM

New member purge in aisle three.

Deftones 08-12-09 06:38 PM

good god people are truly stupid if they think they have a claim against BB for a very clear price mistake.

Deftones 08-12-09 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by Cantide61 (Post 9639620)
"I don't blame people for their mistakes, but I do ask that they pay for them."

people that showed up got a 20% off coupon. far more than they should have. now go away.

Bandoman 08-12-09 07:00 PM

Why shouldn't we be entitled?

That, in a nutshell, is the problem with society today.

HistoryProf 08-12-09 07:35 PM

But with all of the timid, "aw, shucks" wimps running amok now days, I don't see that happening. It's how companies like Best Buy get away with pretty much whatever they want.

:lol:

seems to me that it's people like you who are "trying to get away with pretty much whatever they want" :lol:

anyone who think best buy actually owes them a plasma tv for ten bucks because of an error on the website is an Idiot. and an asshole.

bwvanh114 08-12-09 07:39 PM

Why shouldn't we be entitled?

I hope you can't vote.