Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Hot Deals
Reload this Page >

One & Only Yourmusic.com Thread I (BMG R.I.P.)

Community
Search
Hot Deals Post and Discuss Non-DVD Bargains and Sales!

One & Only Yourmusic.com Thread I (BMG R.I.P.)

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-09, 10:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: One & Only Yourmusic.com Thread I (BMG R.I.P.)

Update on the www.discoramaoverstock.com website.

I just received my first order today (7 CDs) from the Discorama Music World CD/DVD overstock website, and all 7 of the CDs that I ordered are brand new and factory sealed. My free shipping order was mailed from their warehouse in Plainfield, New Jersey by media mail.

I believe their website is updated weekly.

Last edited by MusicLover7; 10-07-09 at 07:19 PM.
Old 10-07-09, 02:46 PM

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by MusicLover7
Update on the www.discoramaoverstock.com website.

I just received my first order today (7 CDs) from the discorama CD/DVD overstock website, and all 7 of the CDs that I ordered are brand new and factory sealed. My free shipping order was mailed from their warehouse in Plainfield, New Jersey by media mail.

I believe their website is updated weekly.
Giving them a shot...
Old 10-07-09, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 127 Likes on 99 Posts

Turns out they are part of a New York store (or is it chain) known as 'rama that has an excellent reputation.
Old 10-07-09, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by MooMooMooMoo
Turns out they are part of a New York store (or is it chain) known as 'rama that has an excellent reputation.
Wow. They've got the 2nd round of Radiohead remasters for $15 a pop!
Old 10-07-09, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Got my Bowie from Discorama today, 3 days after ordering!
Old 10-09-09, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm really disapointed in how little YM is bringing in. They won't be open much longer if it keeps up like this. $6.99/$13.99 only beats ebay/Amazon 3rd party on top titles.
Old 10-09-09, 06:50 PM

Got my Bowie from Discorama today, 3 days after ordering!
That's a pretty fast turnaround considering it was shipped via media mail! Although they did ship one of my orders first class mail.
Old 10-09-09, 06:53 PM

I'm really disapointed in how little YM is bringing in. They won't be open much longer if it keeps up like this. $6.99/$13.99 only beats ebay/Amazon 3rd party on top titles.
I agree!!
Old 10-09-09, 07:36 PM

I don't know if the typical member of YM knows about sites like this that let everyone in on bargains there and elsewhere, so YM may not be in too bad shape.

Just got an email from YM, buy two CDs in October, get one free in November. Don't know if it is for everyone or whether it is because I haven't bought anything yet.

"If you purchase two separate items (with separate selection numbers) during the month of October, you may choose one single CD free of charge starting in the month of November. A double-CD set or boxed set with a single selection number will be considered one qualifying item; the item to be redeemed free of charge must be a single CD. To qualify, purchase must be made by 11:59 pm on October 31, 2009. You will receive an email in November notifying you to redeem your free CD. Free selection may be made in November 2009 or later. "

http://links.yourmusic.com/r/VLCRBD/...l?tc=00YM96299

Last edited by dbashaggy; 10-09-09 at 07:37 PM. Reason: added link
Old 10-10-09, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by dbashaggy
I don't know if the typical member of YM knows about sites like this that let everyone in on bargains there and elsewhere, so YM may not be in too bad shape.

Just got an email from YM, buy two CDs in October, get one free in November. Don't know if it is for everyone or whether it is because I haven't bought anything yet.
My biggest problem with Yourmusic is their limited music catalog not their lack of deals, free CDs, $5.99 CDs, etc. I miss all of the artists from the Sony Music and Warner Music Group music catalogs, etc. The current Yourmusic music catalog is almost identical to the old cheaper BMG Music catalog with new selections trickling in at a snail's pace.

A website like www.discoramaoverstock.com can be a cheaper alternative to buy music from then say Yourmusic and/or Amazon, but they also have a very limited music catalog.
Old 10-11-09, 12:45 AM
Suspended

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe we can start a sticky thread for discoramaoverstock?
Old 10-11-09, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by rider555
Maybe we can start a sticky thread for discoramaoverstock?
I did start a thread but it was removed.
Old 10-12-09, 01:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I did start a thread but it was removed.
Were you told why it was removed?
Old 10-12-09, 03:47 AM

Were you told why it was removed?
No, not really.
Old 10-12-09, 06:43 AM

I see Yourmusic finally added David Bowie VH1 Storytellers to their catalog for $13.98. I'm happy I only had to pay $9.99 plus free shipping for my copy.
Old 10-13-09, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Yay! I see Owl City is coming to YourMusic soon--man, that's some great stuff. I'll be getting it for sure. http://www.owlcitymusic.com/home.aspx
Old 10-15-09, 08:58 PM
Cool New Member

I received 10 CDs from discoramaoverstock today. 6 of them were cutoff CD's. 1 of them has an inkmark on the barcode. Only 3 of them were sealed new CDs. Just letting you know.
Old 10-16-09, 01:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What's a "cutoff cd"?
Old 10-16-09, 03:53 AM

Originally Posted by SMART-ASS
What's a "cutoff cd"?
Cut-Out Titles

Cut-out tiles are the discs that turn up in the discount bins at Wal-mart and other such stores, as well some larger record store chains. These are CDs that the label or distributor have decided to no longer carry in their catalog (known as "cut-out titles" in the business), and their remaining stock is sold in bulk at a deep discount, often pennies per disc. These discs are marked at the warehouse and sold in very large lots (hundreds of thousands) to wholesalers who specialize in these discs. The wholesalers then resell them to record stores and discount chains, in large lots (500 discs and up) without any choice as to which specific titles are included, although the retailer probably is told what the better titles are in the batch as a selling point. The wholesaler uses the sellable titles within these lots to dispose of the unsellable dreck also included.

A few of these discs are still in print in a different form. Sometimes one label will buy another, and the old stock will be cut-out, even though these recordings will continue to be sold with a different UPC and label name on the packaging. Sometimes titles will be replaced with an improved pressing (extra tracks added, remastered sound) and the old stock will be cut-out. Most often the disc is no longer in print at all. No matter why the label decided to let them go cheap, there are good deals on hard-to-find discs to be found in cut-out bins. Sometimes discs for which one has been looking for years will turn up.

On occasion, the sawmarks or drilling do not penetrate completely through the jewel case and leave the inserts unmarked. These could be moved to a new jewel case, and be indistinguishable from a non-cut-out CD. Be on the watch for this when searching through a cut-out bin, and try to look at all copies of any title you've selected to buy, in order to get the least damaged copy.
Old 10-16-09, 04:10 AM

Originally Posted by movieprince
Only 3 of them were sealed new CDs. Just letting you know.
So far I have received about 20 CDs and all 20 were brand new factory sealed CDs. If the CDs that you received are used I would definitely return them for a refund.
Old 10-16-09, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Cut-Out Titles

Cut-out tiles are the discs that turn up in the discount bins at Wal-mart and other such stores, as well some larger record store chains. These are CDs that the label or distributor have decided to no longer carry in their catalog (known as "cut-out titles" in the business), and their remaining stock is sold in bulk at a deep discount, often pennies per disc. These discs are marked at the warehouse and sold in very large lots (hundreds of thousands) to wholesalers who specialize in these discs. The wholesalers then resell them to record stores and discount chains, in large lots (500 discs and up) without any choice as to which specific titles are included, although the retailer probably is told what the better titles are in the batch as a selling point. The wholesaler uses the sellable titles within these lots to dispose of the unsellable dreck also included.

A few of these discs are still in print in a different form. Sometimes one label will buy another, and the old stock will be cut-out, even though these recordings will continue to be sold with a different UPC and label name on the packaging. Sometimes titles will be replaced with an improved pressing (extra tracks added, remastered sound) and the old stock will be cut-out. Most often the disc is no longer in print at all. No matter why the label decided to let them go cheap, there are good deals on hard-to-find discs to be found in cut-out bins. Sometimes discs for which one has been looking for years will turn up.

On occasion, the sawmarks or drilling do not penetrate completely through the jewel case and leave the inserts unmarked. These could be moved to a new jewel case, and be indistinguishable from a non-cut-out CD. Be on the watch for this when searching through a cut-out bin, and try to look at all copies of any title you've selected to buy, in order to get the least damaged copy.
Wow. Thanks for all the info ML7.
Old 10-17-09, 01:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I received 10 CDs from discoramaoverstock today. 6 of them were cutoff CD's.
I received 6 CDs & 4 of mine were cutoff CD's, with hole punched in UPC, but for $27.50 ($21.98 for the non cutout ones) total for 6 CDs, I figured they would be. Here's what I got:
Spoiler:
Madonna - Celebration (2 CD) $11.99
Michael Jackson - 25th Anniversary of Thriller (CD+DVD) $9.99
L.L. Cool J - Exit 13 [Explicit Lyrics] $1.29
Christina Milian - So Amazin' $0.99
Aretha Franklin - Jewels In The Crown: 16 Duets With The Queen Of Soul $2.25
Ronnie Milsap - My Life $0.99
Total: $27.50
I will be buying again from them again.
Old 10-17-09, 03:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Cut-Out Titles

A couple corrections:
1. some cutouts are overstock rather then deletions.
2. There are a number of cutout wholesalers who do allow cd retailers to pick the titles they order in the quantities they wish.
Old 10-17-09, 01:57 PM
Cool New Member

If my cut-out CD's were in the 1-3 dollar range I wouldn't mind either.

My CD's vary from 5.99 to 8.99. I will return them.

I wanted to post to let people know that not every CD is brand new and sealed.
Old 10-17-09, 07:23 PM

If my cut-out CD's were in the 1-3 dollar range I wouldn't mind either.

My CD's vary from 5.99 to 8.99. I will return them.

I wanted to post to let people know that not every CD is brand new and sealed.
What is your definition of a brand new and sealed CD?

Cut-out CDs are brand new and most of them are factory sealed. So far I haven't received one CD from discoramaoverstock that wasn't sealed, and that includes cut-out and import CDs in prices ranging from .79 cents to $15.89.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.