Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Hot Deals
Reload this Page >

One & Only Yourmusic.com Thread I (BMG R.I.P.)

Community
Search
Hot Deals Post and Discuss Non-DVD Bargains and Sales!

One & Only Yourmusic.com Thread I (BMG R.I.P.)

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-11, 07:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: One & Only Yourmusic.com Thread I (BMG R.I.P.)

CD's are now $3.99.
Old 06-16-11, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ordered some jazz CDs and a few for my wife. Very slim pickings.
Old 06-16-11, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I missed the one I had in my cart. Steve Winwood last Greatest Hits CD. Oh well... I may give their site one last look. People get the Billy Idol Hits CD with DVD. $7.98 is an awesome price for it.
Old 06-16-11, 11:30 PM

My last few orders have been backordered and canceled, so I don't have much hope that the order I placed today will actually be fulfilled
Old 06-17-11, 04:59 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Backlog
My last few orders have been backordered and canceled, so I don't have much hope that the order I placed today will actually be fulfilled
Agreed - not optimistic, but still placed an order:

Nightwish
Made In Hong Kong (And In Various Other Places) (1 CD/1 Bonus DVD) 1 $3.99

Roadrunner United
The All Star Sessions (1CD/ 1 Bonus DVD) 1 $3.99

Soulfly
Omen 1 $3.99

Cynic
Focus (Remastered) 1 $3.99
Old 06-18-11, 12:44 AM

I ordered that Soulfly album too--hopefully at least one of us gets it!
Old 06-18-11, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Right back at you. I actually was on the fence about that one because apparently the special edition came with a full live show. However, I figured for $3.99, I could always upgrade at some point. Plus, I wasn't that optimistic I was getting it anyway.
Old 06-19-11, 06:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 127 Likes on 99 Posts

I can't find a thing. If you don't have the Bowie Stage yet, $8 is a great price.
Old 06-19-11, 09:26 AM

I'm primarily a jazzer, but I've been through all the listings 2-3 times and could only find 2 CDs of (moderate/above average) interest. My farewell purchase is The Three Sounds' Soul Symphony and Elegant Soul. I kinda doubt they'll have a run of stock on those two.

It's been a good run between this and BMG. I've built a nice chunk of my collection from their listings over the years and saved a lot of $$. I'm going to miss them.
Old 06-19-11, 10:36 AM
Cool New Member

BTW, I'm assuming it's still there - but after you buy you get a pop up for mag subscriptions via bizrate at $1.00 to $2.00 per year. I got EW for $2.00 and Time for $2.00 and I would often buy a BMG CD just to get to that offer. Sadly that will go too! Anyone want to guess if they will get down to $1.99 ??
Old 06-21-11, 01:16 PM

Interesting article on the business behind music clubs:

http://www.mentalfloss.com/blogs/archives/91126

It’s a Steal! How Columbia House Made Money Giving Away Music
by Ethan Trex - June 21, 2011 - 1:32 PM

If you grew up in the pre-MP3 era, chances are you had at least one go-round as a member of Columbia House’s mail-order music club. Who could turn down the allure of eight compact discs (or 11 record albums or cassette tapes) for just a penny? It would be stupid not to join up! A few months of automatic shipments later, you probably ended up like a lot of members did: as a no-income 14-year-old who owed Columbia House $47 for unwanted Sir Mix-a-Lot CDs. Let’s take a look at a few lingering questions about the music club.

How did the Columbia House business model work?
The underlying model for Columbia House was a pretty simple setup known as negative option billing. Basically, once you sign up for a membership in a club or service, you start getting monthly shipments unless you expressly tell the club you don’t want them. Of course, you also get the bill. Negative option billing has actually been illegal in Ontario since 2005, but it’s still legal in the United States. There are a few caveats, though. The Federal Trade Commission requires that any club or service offering a negative option plan must clearly and conspicuously indicate minimum purchase obligations, cancellation procedures, the frequency with which members must reject shipments, and how to eventually cancel a membership when they enroll new members. The FTC really drops the hammer on any company that doesn’t comply with these regulations. In 2009 it reached a $1 million settlement with the online company Commerce Planet, which had been offering a “free” online auction kit while also signing customers up for a recurring $59.95 “online supplier” program.

How did Columbia House make any money while giving away so much music?
Columbia House and competitor BMG brought in a tons of gross revenue — as late as 2000, the two companies were grossing $1.5 billion a year. But even with negative option billing bringing in cash from club members who forgot to return their rejection forms, Columbia House operated on a seemingly tight margin.

Columbia House and BMG had some fairly clever ways to save cash, though. Until 2006, the record companies had never actually secured written licenses to distribute the records it sent to club members. Instead, the clubs saved the hassle (and the expense) by paying most publishers 75% of the standard royalties set by copyright law. The clubs argued that since the publishers were cashing their discounted checks, they were submitting to “implied” licenses.

Music publishers didn’t love this arrangement, but for decades it was pretty tough to fight back against the mail-order clubs. As some of the biggest pre-Internet retailers, the clubs held enormous power over the music market. According to a 2006 Billboard article, if a publisher complained, the clubs would simply stop carrying their records.

On top of that, the clubs generally weren’t buying their records from labels and then selling them. Instead, the clubs would acquire the master tapes of records and press their own copies on the cheap. Moreover, remember those “bonus” or “free” records you got for signing up for the clubs? The clubs generally didn’t pay any royalties at all on those, which further slashed their costs. In the end, all these little factors saved a ton of money. In his 2004 book The Recording Industry, Geoffrey P. Hull took a look at the economics of the clubs. He estimated that the cost to the clubs of a “free” disc was only around $1.50, while a disc sold at full price cost the club anywhere from $3.20 to $5.50. Hull did the math and realized that even if only one of every three discs a club distributed sold at the $16 list price, the club would still end up making a margin of around $7.20 on each sold disc. Hull explains that retail stores were hard pressed to make a margin of even $6.50 per sold disc, so it’s easy to see how the clubs stayed afloat even with their massive marketing and advertising costs.

Did anyone really, really take advantage of those introductory offers?

Joseph Parvin of Lawrenceville, NJ, was undoubtedly the patron saint of anyone who ever wanted to stick it to a music club for receiving an unwanted record.
In March 2000, the 60-year-old Parvin admitted that he had used 16 post office boxes and his own home address to fleece Columbia House and BMG out of 26,554 discs during a five-year span in the ’90s. He pleaded guilty to a single count of mail fraud.
Oddly, the New York Times story on Parvin’s plea included a story of another scammer who was nearly as prolific. Just five months earlier, David Russo pleaded guilty to stockpiling 22,000 CDs using a similar scheme. He then sold the booty at flea markets.

What about Columbia House’s old rival, BMG?
This may come as a shock to your circa-1994 self, but Columbia House and BMG are part of the same company now. In 2002 Columbia House’s then-owners, Sony and AOL Time Warner, sold a majority stake of the company to the Blackstone Group. (Sony and AOL maintained a 15 percent share between them.) In 2005, Blackstone again flipped Columbia House to the German media giant Bertelsmann, the owner of BMG, for a reported $400 million. After a series of further transactions, Columbia House is now situated in the portfolio of Direct Brands, Inc., a direct marketer whose other holdings include the Book-of-the-Month Club.

Can I still order music from Columbia House?
You’re about two years too late. The merged version of Columbia House and BMG, the BMG Music Group, quit selling music on June 30, 2009. (Apparently digital music wasn’t just some silly fad.) Direct Brands still operates a business under the Columbia House name, but don’t expect the latest music to show up at your door. The revamped company sells DVDs and Blu-Ray discs.
Old 06-21-11, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Holy crap. I had just about given up hope on my backorder from 5/31 and it shipped today. Don't cancel your backorders. Ride them out and hopefully you'll also get lucky!
Old 06-21-11, 09:51 PM

I just got a cancellation notice for 1 of the 2 items I ordered 6/18. They referred to the item as "backordered" and indicated they wouldn't be able to obtain the title.
Old 06-22-11, 07:29 AM

New deal is Buy One Get One Free. I wouldn't take a chance to get two CD's for $3.49 each. The "Get One Free" will probably be backordered/cancelled, resulting in a $6.99 CD.
Old 06-22-11, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Just got a shipping notice!
Old 06-23-11, 08:42 PM

I received my latest order, a Rivers Cuomo CD. In fact, some artists and albums that weren't available last week are now back in stock.
Old 06-23-11, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Wallet Boy
I received my latest order, a Rivers Cuomo CD. In fact, some artists and albums that weren't available last week are now back in stock.
I noticed a lot of metal in stock, some titles I hadn't seen before. Very strange business model for a "going out of business" sale.
Old 06-24-11, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by boc4ever
Just got a shipping notice!
I got my shipping notice too. However, in typical Yourmusic fashion, an order that supposedly shipped 10 days ago has yet to arrive, and with the end being so near I doubt I'll end up getting either the disc or a refund.
Old 06-24-11, 09:26 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Bobaray
New deal is Buy One Get One Free. I wouldn't take a chance to get two CD's for $3.49 each. The "Get One Free" will probably be backordered/cancelled, resulting in a $6.99 CD.
I agree. Dodgy deal. $3.49 discs would have been a far better offer.
Old 06-24-11, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I got my shipping notice too. However, in typical Yourmusic fashion, an order that supposedly shipped 10 days ago has yet to arrive, and with the end being so near I doubt I'll end up getting either the disc or a refund.
It must be my lucky day. I received the 4 disc order today (w/soulfly) and my Radiohead backorder. Hope you get your stuff soon!
Old 06-24-11, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 127 Likes on 99 Posts

Back to $3.99. 4+ days to go.
Old 06-25-11, 08:03 AM

Are you getting the $3.99 code to work? It's not getting applied to my order.
Old 06-25-11, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by Wallet Boy
Are you getting the $3.99 code to work? It's not getting applied to my order.
Nope. I just tried it this morning and the prices of the albums in my cart stayed at $6.99. Hopefully this gets rectified before the 29th. I'd like to place an order before the club closes up shop.
Old 06-26-11, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Still not working.
Old 06-26-11, 06:21 PM

I picture the company's webmaster coming in on Monday morning and going "Oh crap!"

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.