Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Hot Deals
Reload this Page >

credit cards with good reward programs?

Community
Search
Hot Deals Post and Discuss Non-DVD Bargains and Sales!

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-06, 03:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I need a credit card that has a good gift certificate rewards program. I don't care about airline miles. I would like one with walmart or target gift cards.
Old 09-06-06, 04:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 225 Likes on 181 Posts
Chase Rewards.

Be prepared for an influx of junk mail, though.
Old 09-06-06, 05:28 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If you shop at Amazon a lot I recommend their card.

Last edited by nemein; 09-06-06 at 06:16 AM.
Old 09-06-06, 06:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I like the AMEX Blue I think it's called.... Cash back. Right now I am using a US Bank Visa with a Cash back program.

I like $$$
Old 09-06-06, 07:27 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If you don't mind getting less than 1% most of the time then Discover is good. They double their rewards for some merchants (Sharper Image) and give you 20% extra on others (Borders, LL Bean, etc). They also run 5% programs throughout the year which gives you 5% back on certain purchases. When Sharper Image sold them, my wife got a 4G 20GB iPod for $150 with Discover rewards cards. Unfortunately SI doesn't allow card stacking anymore with Discover rewards.
Old 09-06-06, 07:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by mndtrp
Chase Rewards.

Be prepared for an influx of junk mail, though.
I just got majorly boned by Chase, I wouldn't recommend them to anyone.

Over the July 4th weekend I bought a new TV at Circuit City. The deal was no interest for 18 months if you're approved for their credit card through Chase. I was approved and got the card. Two weeks later I decided that I should get a better DVD player to go with the TV, so I bought one and put it on my Circuit City credit card, as they have a reward program similar to Amazon.

I made my first card payment, the minimum for the TV purchase plus the entire DVD player purchase, and a little bit extra since I could afford it.

I got my second bill yesterday, and they're charging me interest on the DVD player purchase. It won't be considered paid off until the TV and other related items (about $2400 total) from the interest free offer are paid for.

I called Chase to complain and instead of working with me to find a solution, the stupid slitch tried to sell me on a god damned LOAN through chase to pay off the card. Yeah, I want to have yet another thing you can charge me interest on. I closed the account and dipped into savings that I didn't want to get into to pay the card off completely.
Old 09-06-06, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by MovieExchange

Over the July 4th weekend I bought a new TV at Circuit City. The deal was no interest for 18 months if you're approved for their credit card through Chase. I was approved and got the card. Two weeks later I decided that I should get a better DVD player to go with the TV, so I bought one and put it on my Circuit City credit card, as they have a reward program similar to Amazon.

I made my first card payment, the minimum for the TV purchase plus the entire DVD player purchase, and a little bit extra since I could afford it.

I got my second bill yesterday, and they're charging me interest on the DVD player purchase. It won't be considered paid off until the TV and other related items (about $2400 total) from the interest free offer are paid for.

I called Chase to complain and instead of working with me to find a solution, the stupid slitch tried to sell me on a god damned LOAN through chase to pay off the card. Yeah, I want to have yet another thing you can charge me interest on. I closed the account and dipped into savings that I didn't want to get into to pay the card off completely.
I understand the anger, but that was biting your nose to spite your face. You've already taken the credit hit and closing the account just reduces your available credit and as you said, made you accelerate the payment.

Best thing to do would have been to return the DVD player and simply made the payments and cut the card up.
Old 09-06-06, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by costanza187
I like the AMEX Blue I think it's called.... Cash back. Right now I am using a US Bank Visa with a Cash back program.

I like $$$
AMEX Blue Cash. Tough card to get if you don't have excellent credit (low util / 720+).

I just signed up for the BOA/MBNA World Points card. World Points are great because you can use them for just about anything.
Old 09-06-06, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by MovieExchange

Not to be an ass, but I thought that is how those offers work -- no interests for X months on the original/first purchase, but additional purchases accrue interest until the first one is paid off in full?

The pitch on the loan was poor form, but given that it is a new account, I don't think there is much that could be done.
Old 09-06-06, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Citi Diamond Rewards Platinum Card

I dont know if its exactly what you ar elooking for but I know they have a gift certifcate redemtion.

No Annual Fee
5% on Gas, Groceries and Drug Store purchases

We have about 80k in points from the last year that we are trying to figure out what to do with.
Old 09-06-06, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SoSpacey

I dont know if its exactly what you ar elooking for but I know they have a gift certifcate redemtion.

No Annual Fee

We have about 80k in points from the last year that we are trying to figure out what to do with.
I have the same card, but after a year it goes down to 1% on Gas Groceries and Drug Store purcahses.

I prefer Chase cards, I love my Amazon card.
Old 09-06-06, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Lateralus
I have the same card, but after a year it goes down to 1% on Gas Groceries and Drug Store purcahses.

I prefer Chase cards, I love my Amazon card.

I have had mine over a year and the offer remained the same. Maybe I had a different offer?
Old 09-06-06, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the citibank is changing in october
Old 09-06-06, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
We have an Amer Ex Blue w/reward points (have never redeemed), ToysRUs Visa ($10 Geoffrey money), Target Visa (10 percent off coupons), Discover (get $250 or so a year-they lowered the amount/percentage or something. We used to get $500 a year).

A relative just got some top job w/Discover and every time he says the name he follows up with "Discover - the card that pays you back...a $3.5B part of Morgan Stanley". It's starting to get annoying.
Old 09-06-06, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
I understand the anger, but that was biting your nose to spite your face.
Not really. I already have other credit cards, the only reason I got this one is that it was required to get the no interest deal. It wasn't a necessity that I pay it off in installments, just a little more convenient. However, when balanced against the principle of paying interest to them that I shouldn't be charged, the convenience factor wasn't important enough.
Old 09-06-06, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 921 Likes on 654 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSpacey

No Annual Fee

I have the Citi Platinum. I just turned in 20K for $200 in Best Buy gift cards to put towards the Nintendo Wii. From what I have seen, no matter the store(CC, Target, Borders, BB, etc), 10K is roughly $100 at various retailers.

$800 in gift cards to one store would be great for a large purchase like a tv.
Old 09-06-06, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Venusian
the citibank is changing in october
In what way?
Old 09-06-06, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by gijon213
In what way?

The 5% purchases are now worth 2% if I recall. I got the notice a week or two ago. I'm disappointed, but it's still a great deal (it was kind of unbelievable for all those years at 5%).
Old 09-06-06, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 238 Likes on 142 Posts
American Express Membership Rewards is a great program, if you use your card a lot.
Old 09-06-06, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

thanks for all these great suggestions
Old 09-06-06, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Colleen
The 5% purchases are now worth 2% if I recall. I got the notice a week or two ago. I'm disappointed, but it's still a great deal (it was kind of unbelievable for all those years at 5%).

Yeah that's it!
Old 09-07-06, 01:47 AM

Originally Posted by paulringodaman
thanks for all these great suggestions
if you are looking for a rewards program that is NOT cash but rather points I reccomend the CitiBank Diamond Prefered Rewards......I am not sure if they are still running the promo BUT when i got the card in Jan, they offered 5 points for Gas, Food, Rest. for the 1st 12 months then after that 1 pnt=1$, its really just 4 bonus points added to those qualifying purchases. If you do go for the card depending on your credit ect, I reccomend going for the Citi PP lower underwriting requirements and you can convert the card to ANY card that you want as soon as you receive the card. By going for the PP you will mostlikely get a higher starting limit (again depending on you Credit ect...) which will give you more spending power...SO far I love my DPR and I get Thank You points to convert to Gift Cards, Hotel, aireline tickets, merchandise ect.......
Old 09-07-06, 01:51 AM

Originally Posted by Colleen
I beleive that this was for the Cash Back card not the Points card the DPR is reamining the same (as far as I know) and the Cash Back card it the only one that is getting "downgraded"
Old 09-07-06, 06:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
Another vote for the Citi Diamond Rewards Platinum Card. Along with 5% back noted by others, they also give 5000 points ($50 gift card of your choice) as a sign-up bonus.
Old 09-07-06, 06:28 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 921 Likes on 654 Posts
Originally Posted by SunMonkey
Another vote for the Citi Diamond Rewards Platinum Card. Along with 5% back noted by others, they also give 5000 points ($50 gift card of your choice) as a sign-up bonus.
Wait... I think I called about that one, because that offer sounds very familiar. They wanted $75 annual fee for it. I passed. You aren't really earning something if you are paying for it up front.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.