Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Hot Deals
Reload this Page >

credit cards with good reward programs?

Community
Search
Hot Deals Post and Discuss Non-DVD Bargains and Sales!

credit cards with good reward programs?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-06, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I was just about to ask if there was a cost. If not, I was going to check it out.
Old 09-07-06, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chase cash plus rewards card gives you 5% cashback (or giftcard to any store if you prefer) for gas, grocery and pharmacy purchases all the time (not just the first year) and 1% everywhere else and most of the time you get $50 or $100 for signing up. Also use Chase's other cards for overstock, Circuit City, Amazon, buy.com etc. for 3-5% cashback at those stores.
Old 09-07-06, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Wait... I think I called about that one, because that offer sounds very familiar. They wanted $75 annual fee for it. I passed. You aren't really earning something if you are paying for it up front.
Nope. There is no annual fee for the one I have.
Old 09-07-06, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Here are the 2 Citi Cards that may be of interest to you for Gift gards. Diamond Preferred and Drivers Edge Options.

Cit Comparision

Maybe even the Simplicity

You may also want to visit Creditoffers.com and look for a Signup bonus with Approval. The Drivers Edge currently has a $30 cash back if appoved.
Old 09-07-06, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by sotra
Chase cash plus rewards card gives you 5% cashback (or giftcard to any store if you prefer) for gas, grocery and pharmacy purchases all the time (not just the first year) and 1% everywhere else and most of the time you get $50 or $100 for signing up. Also use Chase's other cards for overstock, Circuit City, Amazon, buy.com etc. for 3-5% cashback at those stores.
This sounds like a good deal but you can't get the card online anymore. I did some searching and they do offer the card at B&M Chase locations. Apparently they are phasing the card out.
Old 09-07-06, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Lateralus
This sounds like a good deal but you can't get the card online anymore. I did some searching and they do offer the card at B&M Chase locations. Apparently they are phasing the card out.
Rumor is that is possibly being phased out. People that are applying for this card anywhere may actually receive the "Flexible Rewards" card, but some have actually receivied the Chase Cash Plus. Very YMMV!!!!!

This link still allows you to apply but who know what you will receive, though.
Chase Cash Plus Rewards
Old 09-07-06, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts
Originally Posted by 68ShelbyGT500KR
Rumor is that is possibly being phased out. People that are applying for this card anywhere may actually receive the "Flexible Rewards" card, but some have actually receivied the Chase Cash Plus. Very YMMV!!!!!

This link still allows you to apply but who know what you will receive, though.
Chase Cash Plus Rewards
Can someone verify that link, not to say that I don't trust you but it does ask for all of my personal info.
Old 09-09-06, 02:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 383 Likes on 244 Posts
Originally Posted by MovieExchange
I just got majorly boned by Chase, I wouldn't recommend them to anyone.

Over the July 4th weekend I bought a new TV at Circuit City. The deal was no interest for 18 months if you're approved for their credit card through Chase. I was approved and got the card. Two weeks later I decided that I should get a better DVD player to go with the TV,

I got my second bill yesterday, and they're charging me interest on the DVD player purchase. It won't be considered paid off until the TV and other related items (about $2400 total) from the interest free offer are paid for.
Yeah, you probably didn't realize it, but the interest-free portion was only on your original purchase. Balances on subsequent purchases go at the regular non-zero rate, because the company considers you to have TWO balances -- an interest free portion and the rest. All payments go against the interest free balance, otherwise the company ends up giving interest free loans on every purchase while there's a balance during the first 18 months. You didn't exactly get boned, that's the way credit card companies work. My wife found out, now you found out. For future reference, if folks get a zero-interest card for initial purchases, DO NOT use the card until that initial purchase is competely paid off unless the regular rate is lower than any other rate available to you through other cards.

It's a tough lesson, and I'm sorry you didn't understand that that's how those "deals" work. But if you think you got boned already, you might be in for an even bigger boning: http://investor.shareholder.com/jpmo...seType=Current
Chase Notifying Individuals About Improperly Discarded Tapes
WILMINGTON, Del. – Sept. 7, 2006 – Chase Card Services today announced that it is notifying 2.6 million current and former Circuit City credit card account holders that computer tapes containing their personal information were mistakenly identified as trash and thrown out. Working closely with federal and local law enforcement, Chase conducted a thorough investigation and believes that the tapes, contained within a locked box, were compacted, destroyed and are buried in a landfill where the trash was taken.
Old 09-09-06, 09:18 AM

We have had our Citibank rewards card for well over a year and it is by far the best credit card we have ever had. We got $100 gift card just for signing up and Citibank continues to send us new offers for other cards plus $100 free gift card. What makes this or any credit card rewards program worth wild is if you pay off the complete balance each month. Pay off the balance each month and the free gift cards are truely free. It is because of this particular credit card that we have not yet ask about a debit card.
Old 09-09-06, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by SterlingBen
Can someone verify that link, not to say that I don't trust you but it does ask for all of my personal info.
That's the same link I applied from and got my card from.
Old 09-17-06, 12:31 AM

Thanks for all the help. I am going to apply for both citi bank and chase. Hopefully I will get one of them. I really have no credit, but I do own a house, so hopefully that will help me.
Old 09-18-06, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by Colleen
The 5% purchases are now worth 2% if I recall. I got the notice a week or two ago. I'm disappointed, but it's still a great deal (it was kind of unbelievable for all those years at 5%).

Wanted to add on this that you can get 2% on all utility bills paid through this card. This to me is the only redeeming factor of this card since now you can get an additional 1% on cable, electric and utility bills (phone doesn't count). AMEX Blue is the best I have found for cash back and then this card for utility bill payments beginning in October.
Old 09-18-06, 04:11 PM
Banned

Guys,

Great thread but are there any NOT mentioned?
Old 09-18-06, 04:56 PM

There seems to be conflicting info here regarding the Citi Diamond Preferred Rewards card. Some say that the 5% (gas, grocery, pharmacy) is changing in October while someone else said that was a different Citi card. I have the Citi DPR card and I love it. I do not recall received the notice in the mail. Could someone please confirm or deny that this specific card is changing?
Old 09-18-06, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
The Citibank card that is changing is the Citibank Platinum Select card, it is going from 5% down to 2% sometime in October.
Old 09-18-06, 05:51 PM

bby mastercard

i heard that best buy mastercard is good. 4% cash back on purchases at best buy, rewardzone incentives still apply. Not sure how to apply for it, but I heard that its about to launch. You also get 2% cb on some other categories and 1%elsewhere.
Old 09-19-06, 05:08 AM

Originally Posted by catsmeow
Thanks for all the help. I am going to apply for both citi bank and chase. Hopefully I will get one of them. I really have no credit, but I do own a house, so hopefully that will help me.

Umm, how do you own a house, but don't have credit? Did you buy it outright with cash?
Old 09-19-06, 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by Southside
Umm, how do you own a house, but don't have credit? Did you buy it outright with cash?
Yes, I bought my car with cash too. I didn't want to have to pay all the interest, but it doesn't give me any credit. I am going to pay the credit card off each month, but I just thought I might as well be getting gift cards.