Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Hot Deals
Reload this Page >

I bought an airline ticket and now it's CHEAPER. How can I get refunded difference?

Hot Deals Post and Discuss Non-DVD Bargains and Sales!

I bought an airline ticket and now it's CHEAPER. How can I get refunded difference?

Old 06-23-05, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought it online at www.spiritair.com

AC to Detroit

Departing July 2nd

Returning July 9th

I paid $159

And now the price is $139

I called and told them the situation and they said I would have to pay $40 to change the reservation for the new fare rate.

I am no mathematician, but it would be dumb to spend $40 to get $20

Are there any key phrases I can say or words to drop to get them to give me the difference in price?
Old 06-23-05, 02:10 PM
Banned

Forget it man. Unless it was a fully refundable fare, you are hosed.
Old 06-23-05, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Sominex
I am no mathematician, but it would be dumb to spend $40 to get $20
I concur. It would be stupid.
Old 06-23-05, 03:20 PM

Nothing you can do.
Old 06-23-05, 03:24 PM
MrE
DVD Talk Special Edition

If you bought it with a credit card (and have not paid the bill), you have leverage to argue. Just be sure to alert your credit card company about why you're not paying that portion of the bill until the dispute is resolved. The fine print on your bill should give you details on how to do this.
Old 06-23-05, 03:27 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Call again and try again. It all depends what customer service employee you talk to. I recently got refunded for $145 difference for plane ticket to Mexico. When I originally bought it back in March, it was more expensive that what it cost now. I called the airline and they refunded the difference, with no problem at all.
Old 06-23-05, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If you call up and tell them the price difference, some airlines will give you back the difference in the form of and airline voucher. I know Song does it. I've never tried it before so I'm not sure what the key words to say are, but my dad has done it a bunch of times.
Old 06-23-05, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

You bought a non-refunable fare at one price, why do you feel justified in asking for the reduced price?
Old 06-23-05, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

For $20 I wouldn't bother. The effort would cost more than the benefit.
Old 06-23-05, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Maybe you can tell them Jet Blue's policy?

If you were to book a ticket with JB and then find out that the price went down, you just need to call them up and they will give you a credit for the difference (to be used within a year).

It's worked for me a few times.
Old 06-24-05, 07:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
USAirways also has a refund policy. If the ticket price drops within 24 hours, they actually give you the difference back. After that, and within a year (presumably only up to the flight date), they will issue you credit for a future purchase.
Old 06-24-05, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by MrE
If you bought it with a credit card (and have not paid the bill), you have leverage to argue. Just be sure to alert your credit card company about why you're not paying that portion of the bill until the dispute is resolved. The fine print on your bill should give you details on how to do this.
I seriously doubt the Credit Card company will take that one, it's not fraud. If they explain the true situation to the CC company they won't hold the charge and they'll tell them to work it out with the airline.

It doesn't matter if you've paid the bill or not either, you have 90 days to dispute charges regardless of if you've paid or not.
Old 06-24-05, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

this was actually moved to Hot Deals??
Old 06-24-05, 05:36 PM
Cool New Member

OneTravel Rules of the Air - Has a Section for PRICE CHANGES on a per Airline Basis

It all depends on the airline.

American Airlines = will refund the difference on a "non-refundable" between what you paid and the current price in the form of a travel certificate IF there is a seat available at the new price. The bottom line is that you won't get any money back but you can use the travel cert for a future flight.

BTW, if you want to use the travel cert on a future flight but don't want to pay a over the phone / at the airport ticketing fee, all you have to do is RESERVE the flight on AA.COM and call AA.COM customer service. They'll have you mail the travel cert and when they receive it the ticket will be processed at the website price.

Continental = the price you paid is the price you are gonna pay; they don't offer refunds.

----
According to Spirit Air's Contract of Carriage
"Itinerary Modifications
Changes in the date(s) or flight(s) may be requested up to 24 hours prior to the departure of any flight segment. If available, such changes are subject to any increase in the fare for the new flight segment(s). A service fee applies to all non-refundable itineraries. Passenger initiated modifications that result in a fare decrease are also subject to a service fee including transactions to secure a lower fare on an identical itinerary. Some fare restrictions may prohibit exchanges to a lower fare."

They are within their rights to do this. Disputing it with your CC isn't going to help things. If you don't like Spirit Air's rules, fly a different airline.

-g