Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Hot Deals
Reload this Page >

New Brand vs. Name brand TV

Hot Deals Post and Discuss Non-DVD Bargains and Sales!
View Poll Results: Unknown brand vs. name brand HD TV
New/unknown brand
21.88%
Name brand
78.13%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-24-05, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay, I have a dilemma. I have pretty much narrowed down what I want as my big screen TV down to two choices. One is a new brand that I haven't heard of called Maxent. It offers a 42 " flat plasma screen that it HD ready and retails for about $2000 at Best Buy. Likewise, a Sony HD 42" is available, it's just rear projection. Two grand is about what I can afford, and I want something good. Personally, I am leaning towards the Maxent as its picture quality looks much better than the Sony.

However, I have read some reviews and done some research on Maxent, and they are extremely mixed. Some think it is the best thing out there, while others say it works for the first couple of months and then experiences difficulty. I guess what I'm saying is, the research just made me more perplexed instead of helping. Everyone who likes it comments that they haven't had it for long and hope nothing happens. Also, it isn't a big company and it not being a name brand means it might not be around if the thing conks out down the road. The fact that Sony will be around for a while has me leaning slightly toward their model. Any advice?
Old 06-24-05, 04:34 PM
Retired

Tough decision. I tend to go with established brands as with new brands there's no way to judge durability, customer service etc. beyond reviews of a product people have only had for a few months or whatever.
Old 06-24-05, 04:46 PM

As long as you get a warrenty, does it matter which one you get?

I would go with the new no-name brand. With Sony you know you are paying for their name and advertising, not for quality. I used to buy Sony, until I had two items break. I called their customer service and it was horrible, it was hard to get someone to talk to, they kept telling me to call someone else. They were not helpful. I felt like Sony hired people whos job was not to be helpful, but to get rid of complaints by making it so frustrating and difficult that people give up. Finally I found someone at Sony who wanted me to mail them on the opposite side of the USA, at my expense. My laptop also had problems, 3 months after buying it, two pixels went dead. I wanted the LCD replaced, but their service people said Sony policy is 9 dead pixels.

My other buddy has a samsung that he has had for 4 years and likes. Back when he got it, the Samsung was 30-40% less than Sony.
Old 06-24-05, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm with Josh, I go name brand. Warranty will only get you so far, it's only good for so long and if it's constantly getting fixed you have nothing to watch.
Old 06-24-05, 04:57 PM

Dr. DVD I have seen that Maxent in Best Buy and it does look really good. But remember, even though it accepts a HD signal, it is only an EDTV. It can accept an HD 1080i signal, but it downgrades it to 720p. Picture still looks great in ED, but you can tell a difference from an HDTV. I had your same issue. I wanted a plasma and settled on an EDTV from SVA because it was actually made in Japan with Samsung parts. While the picture was unbelievable, it seemed to cause burn in while while watching the TV for only a few hrs a day, without any static images. I was looking at the Maxent as a replacement, but didnt really want an EDTV again when I realized that for a couple of hundred more, I got a Samsung HDTV Plasma from BJs, which is fantastic. Also, that Maxent seemed to get extra hot just like the SVA I had. This could also cause the burn in. Again, I would still consider buying a no name TV, but I would feel safer getting a name brand that will cause you less issues in the future. If you do trouble with the unit, at least you will have Customer Service that will probably help you out better. Usually the CS on a non brand name electronic manufacturer is horrible. Hope this helped.
Old 06-24-05, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I buy generic products all the time but i don't think you want to go there with a Plasma. It's still a new and precise technology.
Old 06-24-05, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
If it does 720p it is an HDTV. Perhaps you mean it downconverts to 480p?
Old 06-24-05, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The Maxent is a HD plasma http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1112808077814

As much as I hate Sony it was a easy choice for me.
Old 06-24-05, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Maxent will take a while to get delivered, while I could take the Sony out tomorrow probably. I guess I don't understand why the Sony could have such poor picture quality. Does rear projection really make that much of a difference?
Old 06-24-05, 10:18 PM

I have a Sony 59" and LOVE it--you need to use the right connections--stay away from coax. I also have a Sony Vaio. Best two products I have ever purchased.
Old 06-24-05, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Keep in mind I can only make about $1500 as a downpayment, and then the rest will go on a Best Buy card. I have no desire to have another grand in debt. Been there and it ain't fun.
Old 06-25-05, 08:23 AM
Banned

With this type of purchase I would go name brand and Still get the warranty. If you are going HD I would go Integrated HD if you can. I have a 55 in WS HD mitsubishi. This TV is awesome and has a phenomenal picture both in Standard format and HD format.
Old 06-25-05, 08:26 AM
Banned

If you want reviews from people that own the Maxent, check this link out

http://www.tv-forums.com/forum/TV_Equipment_C4/Plasma_TV_Forum_F26/The_New_Zenith/[email protected]_BB_P7044/
Old 06-25-05, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I tend to buy name brand for items as expensive as what you plan to spend. It also depends on how much warranty is covered by the TV. Since you said the TV experiences problem after a few months, if your warranty is long enough to cover that period then it should be ok. On the other hand, any type of problem that develop will require extra effort in your part. Depends on the warranty, if a problem develop on your TV, you might have to take it in to a store to have it fixed while you won't have any TV in the mean time.
Old 06-25-05, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by slcsnkman

That's where I was doing my research and got more perplexed! That is why I came here for advice, as they were either loving it or hating it.
Old 06-25-05, 11:42 AM
Retired

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
Does rear projection really make that much of a difference?
From that comment my main advice for you would be to spend a lot more time getting informed on HDTVs before making a purchase. You want to make sure you get the set you'll like the best in your price range.

Read a lot of info online, go to a home theater store where they're calibrated better and check them out, and then make your purchase wherever it's cheapest.
Old 06-25-05, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Josh Hinkle
From that comment my main advice for you would be to spend a lot more time getting informed on HDTVs before making a purchase. You want to make sure you get the set you'll like the best in your price range.

Read a lot of info online, go to a home theater store where they're calibrated better and check them out, and then make your purchase wherever it's cheapest.
I'd second that... that's my standard way of doing things on a big purchase.

Also, you might try and get the home theater store to come close to the best price you find elsewhere if they are helpful and you think you will get good service with them.
Old 06-25-05, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by sniper308
I'd second that... that's my standard way of doing things on a big purchase.

Also, you might try and get the home theater store to come close to the best price you find elsewhere if they are helpful and you think you will get good service with them.

The problem is I already have my financing plan in place with Best Buy, so I have to buy from them unless other stores have plans to bill in installments for one item.
Old 06-25-05, 04:00 PM

go to Home theater spot for good info
Old 06-25-05, 04:09 PM
Retired

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
The problem is I already have my financing plan in place with Best Buy, so I have to buy from them unless other stores have plans to bill in installments for one item.
In that case, you can still see if a home theater store has some of the same sets your looking at at Best Buy and check them out there where they are calibrated properly. Plus those stores will generally hook up DVD players or whatever so you can check them out.

As for financing plans, I'm not sure about home theater stores, but pretty much all the chains that sell TVs (ciruit city, sears etc) all have deals now and then on TVs where you can get 1-3 years of no interest payments so you can at least compare prices at them.

But Best Buy price matches, so since your comfortable with them I'd just check out sets in HT stores, and price match at Best Buy if you find somewhere with a better price. The only exception would be if you find a set you like better and Best Buy doesn't carry that model.
Old 06-25-05, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

And don't worry about putting the small HT store through the ringer by bringing in your own dvds and having them hook up a bunch of equipment for you despite there being exactly zero chance you'll ever buy anything from them.

That's what they're there for!
Old 06-25-05, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by stevevt
And don't worry about putting the small HT store through the ringer by bringing in your own dvds and having them hook up a bunch of equipment for you despite there being exactly zero chance you'll ever buy anything from them.

yeah, that's kind of where I was going... I'd see how close the HT store can come to the best price you find and determine what extra service they are offering and try to give them your business. Obviously if they are way over the pricing, etc you find somewhere else than that's one thing, but personally if I could deal with a good HT store with a good reputation and find a price relatively close to the best price you find at the major chains, then I would go with the HT store.

I do buy a decent amount of stuff at Best Buy and the other major chains, but their service generally $ucks, so if I can buy something elsewhere I try to do so.
Old 06-25-05, 06:50 PM
Retired

Originally Posted by stevevt

What can I say. I'm one of those "Devil shoppers."

But seriously, I'd give the store a chance to match the best offer I can find elsewhere, and might go up to a $100 over the best offer elsewhere if there service warranted it.
Old 06-25-05, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Okay. I just gotta find some stores in my area. There is a Sharp store down the road from me, but I doubt they carry any other products than Sharp.
Old 06-25-05, 09:09 PM

Buy the PSP!

Get the Maxent with the Best Buy PSP and if anything goes wrong with it, it'll be covered by Best Buy for two years. If the TV is unrepairable, they'll give you a new one and if that model is no longer available, you'll get one of equal value.