Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Hot Deals
Reload this Page >

Widescreen/HD TVs-what's the best price nowadays?

Community
Search
Hot Deals Post and Discuss Non-DVD Bargains and Sales!

Widescreen/HD TVs-what's the best price nowadays?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-05, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Spyboy
Razzak, glad you like your Akai, however, the Akai is in no way related to Sony and the Akai is considered to be the bottom of the barrel of RPTV. Not to say it isn't decent for the price, but it doesn't compare to the Sony. So instead of paying $850 plus tax for the Akai, plus $85 plus tax for the stand. He can get the larger 46 inch, top rated Sony for about $300 more. I believe the Sony can do 720P.
Dunno where you get your info, but Sony rp's are not anything to get excited over. They don't hold a candle to some of the other major brands. Sony tubes are great, but their rptv's are so-so. Although just about any brand will be "top-rated" by someone, somewhere! Among pros and fanatics, Sony rptv's earn mediocre grades at best.
Old 06-12-05, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by CaptainMarvel
I saw a really neat looking black 30" Philips widescreen HDTV (with internal hdtv tuner), and it was around $700.

I wish I could find more model information on it.
Just to update this for anybody who is interested. The tv was the Philips 30PW9110D (or the 30PW8420 according to a different tag). They were $680.

I went to a different Wal-Mart, and they looked really good at this location too. I'd be a bit hesitant after reading some of the reviews at AVSforum, though.
Old 06-12-05, 04:51 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
personnaly i prefer samsungs HDTV they are very nice, user friendly and easy to setup and get to watching with several good presets!
Old 06-13-05, 03:23 PM
JLB
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CaptainMarvel
Just to update this for anybody who is interested. The tv was the Philips 30PW9110D (or the 30PW8420 according to a different tag). They were $680.

I went to a different Wal-Mart, and they looked really good at this location too. I'd be a bit hesitant after reading some of the reviews at AVSforum, though.
IIRC, I think the negative reviews were based on geometry problems a lot of people were having. But most cited that the problems they experienced were of a nature that they were far outweighed by the price point of getting the set.....