Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Rocky: The Knockout Collection 4K Blu-ray

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Rocky: The Knockout Collection 4K Blu-ray

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-23, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 182 Likes on 155 Posts
Re: Rocky: The Knockout Collection 4K Blu-ray

Since this won't have the previous set's blu ray's what will happen with the special features especially the first Rocky movie on blu ray?
Old 03-01-23, 07:09 AM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

I wasn't planning on buying this incomplete set anyway (especially at release price) but I saw over on the "other forum" there is apparently an audio issue with tis set. The claim is the first film's original audio track is a downmix, not the original mono.
the "Original Theatrical English" track on the first film appears to be a stereo downmix of the remix, rather than the actual original mono.

It's even missing the short piano cue at the end of the final fight that's always been gone from the remix.

I think this is the first time that's happened on ROCKY. One of the DVD releases only had the 5.1, but any time a release has included a 1.0 or 2.0 track, it's been the authentic original. Until now.
The following 2 users liked this post by dex14:
nikkijo (04-06-24), rico gomez (03-06-23)
Old 03-01-23, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

The rumor is that Stallone is currently working on a "Writer's" Cut of Rocky V and is supervising a remaster of Rocky Balboa. Nothing has been official, but that's the rumor.

As far as the new box set, I am disheartened that there is that alleged audio issue with Rocky 1. However, that "other forum" has been all over the place and not a single new person has been able to confirm or refute the claim yet.
The following users liked this post:
JeremyM (03-05-23)
Old 03-04-23, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Pre-ordering seemed like a waste of time because I still haven't received it from Amazon and if I ordered it now I could get it in a day or two which doesn't make any sense.
Old 03-05-23, 06:20 AM

Warner Bros.' Rocky: The Knockout Collection has the same cash-grab odor as Paramount's Star Trek: The Original 4-Movie Collection, a hasty 4K release that inexplicably omitted two films from the original lineup. (It also commits the sin of including no Blu-ray copies, remastered or not.) And from that perspective, I wouldn't blame anyone holding out for a complete boxed set that may or may not also feature a heavily-rumored director's cut of Rocky V and a new scan of Rocky Balboa. But if that weren't enough, this collection suffers from a few QC issues including several botched audio tracks, mislabeled extras, and even residue inside the keepcase. (It might even be worse than last year's first pressing of the Mad Max Anthology 4K, which was actually recalled by the studio and fixed several months later.) Simply put, unless you absolutely have to have these in 4K right now, skip this one: it looks good, but that's about it.
https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Rocky...329865/#Review
Old 03-07-23, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by rico gomez
I too ordered early when the price was around $58 at Amazon.
So, since my order didn't ship, I cancelled today and re-ordered from Amazon for $52.
Maybe Amazon dropped the price to get people to buy their stock since the word is out about the audio problems.
If they dropped the price after you pre ordered it aren't they supposed to give you the price difference?
Old 03-08-23, 07:11 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 437 Likes on 299 Posts

According to The Digital Bits, the issues with the set are more than just Rocky.

https://thedigitalbits.com/columns/m...ts/030723-1130

Now then, we have confirmed that Warner’s Rocky: The Knockout Collection 4K set has some significant quality control issues. We first began hearing of this from readers who’d purchased the set last week and we shared them here on The Bits and also on our social media. We also made Warner Bros. Home Entertainment aware of the problems and the studio began an official investigation. Then we were finally able to confirm the problems with our own review product last night. The specific errors are as follows:

The “original” audio mix on Rocky is actually a downmix of the 5.1, not the original theatrical mono audio as it should be.
Rocky II has all of its audio tracks at the wrong pitch (about 4% too low).
Rocky III has all of the foreign audio tracks at the wrong pitch as well.
One shot in the theatrical cut of Rocky IV apparently opens up to 1.78:1 instead of the correct 1.85:1 featured throughout the rest of the film (the shot appears at about 10:17 into the film).
The version of the Rocky vs. Drago: Keep Punching documentary on the bonus disc is significantly shorter than the version available for free viewing here on YouTube.

That last one may not actually be an error, but fans have certainly noticed it. Now then, we haven’t yet heard back from WB on all this, but we expect to soon. So as soon as we do, rest assured we’ll let you all know here and on our social media.
Old 03-08-23, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

The question is will they ever correct it?
Old 03-08-23, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
The question is will they ever correct it?
If they don’t they might as well stop releasing box sets because no one will pre-order them again. Since they fixed the Mad Max anthology hopefully they’ll fix this. And cross your fingers the Superman set doesn’t get f’ed up.
Old 03-08-23, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

The race to the bottom for home video departments in Hollywood continues apace.
Old 03-08-23, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Jeff from Films at Home posted a review of the set. I won’t post it here, I’ll leave that to you if you’re interested in his thoughts.

He said the 4% off audio issue that some people are going off on are so small that he didn’t really even notice any difference at all. And he didn’t think the issue with the mono track was even a big deal. He said you would have to really analyze these side by side in great detail with the BD to even notice.

The hardcore audiophiles will probably think he’s being too lenient on WB. He’s gotten some comments from people saying the audio issues are super bad and Jeff replied that they exaggerated.

Anyway, I’m not interested until a complete collection gets released.

Last edited by DJariya; 03-08-23 at 06:52 PM.
Old 03-08-23, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
He said the 4% off audio issue that some people are going off on are so small that he didn’t really even notice any difference at all. And he didn’t think the issue with the mono track was even a big deal. He said you would have to really analyze these side by side in great detail with the BD to even notice.
I’ve seen that kind of sentiment before in many forms…TrueHD vs. DD+, other releases with pitch issues, overly edge enhanced discs…there will always be those who want to feel good about settling for subpar discs, but these studios need to be forced to do things right or we’ll just get more bad discs.
Old 03-09-23, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

Original mono mixes always sound better than a downmix of the surround track. Probably nothing you'd notice unless the soundtracks are played side by side.
Old 04-02-24, 02:23 PM

https://www.gruv.com/product/rocky_5...ok_blu_ray_uhd
https://www.gruv.com/product/rocky_b...ok_blu_ray_uhd

Old 04-02-24, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,081 Likes on 656 Posts

Now I just need a complete Steelbook boxset with all the Rockys together.
Old 04-02-24, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 425 Likes on 306 Posts

Based on previous posts I thought Sly was creating a new Rocky 5 cut. I guess a portion of Rocky Balboa will just be upscale to 4k. The fight footage was shot with early HD cameras.
Old 04-06-24, 06:54 PM
Cool New Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I heard another set is also coming out with ROCKY 5 & BALBOA.
I hope the sound is corrected.
Old 04-06-24, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 724 Likes on 590 Posts

Dam now I regret getting the other set during a black friday deal
Old 04-07-24, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial
Based on previous posts I thought Sly was creating a new Rocky 5 cut. I guess a portion of Rocky Balboa will just be upscale to 4k. The fight footage was shot with early HD cameras.
Yeah, I'm surprised we're not getting an extended/alternate cut of Rocky V but are getting a director's cut of Rocky Balboa. As for the latter's transfer, wasn't the intent always to feel as if you were watching the fight live on TV? Now I wonder how jarring people would find a 4K release of 28 Days Later.
Old 04-07-24, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 425 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Yeah, I'm surprised we're not getting an extended/alternate cut of Rocky V but are getting a director's cut of Rocky Balboa. As for the latter's transfer, wasn't the intent always to feel as if you were watching the fight live on TV?
Sly said on the Rocky Balboa commentary that the fight at the end was meant to feel like you're watching a live fight.That feeling might get lost in this new 4k release.
Old 04-07-24, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,081 Likes on 656 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
Dam now I regret getting the other set during a black friday deal
You had to know this was gonna happen.
Old 04-07-24, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

They've been posting in the other forum that Rocky discs 1 - 4 have all been corrected and they are sending out replacement discs. You gotta email support with proof of purchase receipt and they will send you out the corrected discs.

I never did buy the set due to the many issues that they had but with part V and VI being announced, I'm sure they will put out another set, with corrected discs, as well.

Rocky: OG mono restored. Piano is heard now after the bell when Apollo says there won't be a rematch. Now here's something interesting as well - that piano cue is now heard ALSO in the surround mix. To my knowledge, I don't think this has ever been the case, so it APPEARS at least like they took this opportunity to also add in that missing element to the discrete mix as well. Effing awesome.

Rocky II: Correct pitch restored (compared it directly to the old disc - it's definitely fixed).

Rocky III: Foreign language tracks are now the correct pitch.

Rocky IV: The single 1.78:1 shot has been fixed when Rocky is washing the car talking to his son. 1.85:1 for the whole scene now.

Here's the email for customer support:

[email protected]
The following 2 users liked this post by Why So Blu?:
DeanoBKN (04-08-24), PhantomStranger (04-16-24)
Old 04-07-24, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts

I could be very possible that Sly's feud with Irwin Winkler led to the whole Rocky V director's cut being nixed. Since Sly doesn't own the movie, he doesn't want to do anything extra to support Winkler's bank account.
Old 04-07-24, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 552 Likes on 344 Posts

I could see WB putting the correced discs for 1-4 in the new set but fucking up 5 and 6.
The following 2 users liked this post by stvn1974:
Shannon Nutt (04-16-24), Spiderbite (04-07-24)
Old 04-16-24, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by nikkijo
I heard another set is also coming out with ROCKY 5 & BALBOA.
I hope the sound is corrected.
Per Bill Hunt, the discs/audio issues have been corrected and will appear in a I-VI boxed set coming later this year. However, I'm not sure if these will be steelbooks or just a standard-case set.