DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   HD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk-55/)
-   -   Ghostbusters: Ultimate Collection -- 4K UHD -- 2/1/22 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/654449-ghostbusters-ultimate-collection-4k-uhd-2-1-22-a.html)

Jay G. 12-25-21 09:41 PM

Re: Ghostbusters: Ultimate Collection -- 4K UHD -- 2/1/22

Including Ghostbusters 2016 in the set would make as much sense as including Halloween III in a box set with the Michael Myers films. Oh wait..
https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Hallo...lu-ray/294704/

Maybe more like including two separate Spider-Man series in the same set? Oh wait...
https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Spide...lu-ray/186849/

But it's not like they're release a Halloween set that had one movie from one continuity, and 2 from another...
https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Hallo...lu-ray/274197/

On the other hand, this is similar to that Superman set that includes I & II and Returns, but not III and IV.
https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Super...Blu-ray/45386/

The bottom line is that Sony is releasing this set this way because they think there's a market that wants these three films, but not the 2016 Ghostbusters. If Ghostbusters (2016) had been more successful, it'd be included in this set. Then again, if it had been more successful, we'd probably have at least one sequel to it, instead of Afterlife returning to the original continuity. I can see how Feige and others may chafe at something being called an "Ultimate Collection" that is leaving out one of the films.

E Unit 12-25-21 09:54 PM

Then Sony is right about the market. It’s a loss to no one.

Josh-da-man 12-26-21 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by Gizmo (Post 14030478)
Halloween, damn, is this the third reboot? They could do an OG release, Rob Zombie Collection, and whatever the new Trilogy ones will be called, even though they are now canon and 2-x are not. I guess that crap gets confusing, and is probably a very weird example.

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...ca5710a6d3.jpg

Josh-da-man 12-26-21 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by Jay G. (Post 14030579)
Maybe more like including two separate Spider-Man series in the same set? Oh wait...
https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Spide...lu-ray/186849/

Well...um... The answer to that question isn't exactly the same as it might have been a month ago...

Jay G. 12-26-21 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man (Post 14030652)
Well...um... The answer to that question isn't exactly the same as it might have been a month ago...

Just because there's an Freddy vs Jason movie and two Alien vs Predator movies doesn't mean it necessarily makes sense to mash both film series into a single set.

The only logic Sony is using is "what will sell?" Anything else is just post rationalization to justify the decision in some form. Arguments could be made one way or the other, and neither is objectively correct, it's just a difference of opinion and preference.

joltman 12-26-21 07:59 AM

I hope there's no exclusive content. I JUST got the UK two-film 4K set which included the same discs as that 35th anniversary 4K steelbook.

b2net 12-26-21 01:15 PM

Maybe if they called it the Ghostbusters "Trilogy" Ultimate edition.

Bluelitespecial 12-27-21 09:44 AM

Wow!! I don't normally buy these expensive collector's sets anymore but I think this one will be worth the money. It looks like it includes the extras from that steelbook that went out of print really fast but also includes alternate cuts of Ghostbusters.

"Jam-Packed ‘Ghostbusters’ Ultimate Collection Boasts Rare 114-Minute “Preview Cut” of Original Film Plus Much More New Footage!! - Bloody Disgusting" https://bloody-disgusting.com/home-v...h-new-footage/

TheMovieman 12-27-21 10:04 AM

Yep, looks great. I'll probably try selling off my steelbook to offset some of the cost of that collection.

Here is the complete list:
THE GHOSTBUSTERS ULTIMATE COLLECTION
  • GHOSTBUSTERS 4K ULTRA HD
    • Feature presented in 4K resolution with Dolby Vision
    • Dolby Atmos + 5.1 + Theatrical Stereo
  • GHOSTBUSTERS BLU-RAY
    • Feature presented in high definition, from the 4K master
    • 5.1 + Theatrical Stereo
    • Special Features:
      • Commentary Featuring Director Ivan Reitman, Star/Co-Writer Harold Ramis and Associate Producer Joe Medjuck
      • Fan Commentary Moderated by Ghost Corps’ Eric Reich
      • Slimer Mode Picture-in-Picture Track
  • GHOSTBUSTERS II 4K ULTRA HD
    • Dolby Atmos + 5.1 + Theatrical Stereo
  • GHOSTBUSTERS II BLU-RAY
    • Feature presented in high definition, from the 4K master
    • 5.1 + Theatrical Stereo
    • Special Feature:
      • Commentary Featuring Director Ivan Reitman, Star/Co-Writer Dan Aykroyd and Executive Producer Joe Medjuck
  • GHOSTBUSTERS: AFTERLIFE 4K ULTRA HD
    • Dolby Atmos
  • GHOSTBUSTERS: AFTERLIFE BLU-RAY
    • Feature presented in high definition
    • Includes all special features from the standalone Blu-ray
  • SPECIAL FEATURES DISC 1 – GHOSTBUSTERS (1984)
    • NEW: Rare 114-minute Preview Cut of the Film (in Standard Definition) – an unearthed early cut of the film with alternate takes, additional scenes, early effects and more. A unique must-see experience for any Ghostbusters fan!
      • With optional commentary by Associate Producer Joe Medjuck and Editor Sheldon Kahn
    • NEW: “Reitman Squared” Scene Commentary – a look at two scenes from the film with Ivan & Jason Reitman
    • NEW: Dana’s Lost Auditions – eight auditions for the role of Dana Barrett, featuring Denise Crosby, Kelly LeBrock and more!
      • Special thanks to Brandon Kleyla
    • NEW:Ghostbusters: Behind Closed Doors” Documentary – a 90-minute documentary about the making of Ghostbusters and the history of the franchise!
    • NEW: Ghostbusters Dailies – over an hour of raw dailies, encompassing 7 scenes from the film
    • NEW: Full TV Broadcast Version of the Film (in Standard Definition) – featuring alternate TV-safe takes
    • 16 Deleted Scenes
    • TV Commercial from the Film + Commercial Outtakes
    • 1984 ShoWest Exhibitor Reel
    • “A Moment With the Stars” Original EPK Featurette
    • 1984 Featurette
    • SFX Team Featurette
    • Cast and Crew Featurette
    • Who You Gonna Call: A Ghostbusters Retrospective
    • Ecto-1: Resurrecting the Classic Car
    • Ruth Oliver's Library Ghost Scream Test
    • Multi-Angle Explorations
    • Storyboard Comparisons
    • Photo Galleries
    • "Ghostbusters" Music Video by Ray Parker, Jr.
    • Theatrical Trailers & Promo
  • SPECIAL FEATURES DISC 2 – GHOSTBUSTERS II & GHOSTBUSTERS: AFTERLIFE
    • GHOSTBUSTERS II
    • NEW: “Reitman Squared” Scene Commentary – a look at two scenes from the film with Ivan & Jason Reitman
    • NEW: 19 Deleted Scenes – a collection of never-before-seen deleted scenes!
    • NEW: Ghostbusters II Soundtrack Promo – a scene from the film with commentary from composer Randy Edelman
    • NEW: Full TV Broadcast Version of the Film (in Standard Definition) – featuring alternate TV-safe takes
    • 7 Additional Deleted Scenes
    • “The Oprah Winfrey Show: Cast of Ghostbusters II” – June 1989
    • Time Is But A Window: Ghostbusters II and Beyond
    • Ghostbusters II Original EPK
    • "On Our Own" Music Video by Bobby Brown
    • Theatrical Trailers
    • GHOSTBUSTERS: AFTERLIFE
    • Jason’s Sneak Peek from Set
    • Theatrical Trailers

rocket1312 12-27-21 10:58 AM

Man, I'd love to have those new extras for the first two movies. What I would not love is having to pay actual money for a copy of Ghostbusters and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.

TheMovieman 12-27-21 12:59 PM

Well, went ahead and pre-ordered. Can always cancel if there's a better deal out there.

DJariya 12-27-21 01:03 PM

Saw a tweet saying that Sony will release Ghostbusters 2016 in this set as a digital copy and there will be a paper insert for it.

TheMovieman 12-27-21 01:19 PM

Oh, in that case, cancelled order. ;)

Bluelitespecial 12-27-21 01:29 PM

As long as GB 2016 is separate as a digital code that way I can just trash it.

milo bloom 12-27-21 01:31 PM

Looks amazing, but I haven't followed the franchise in a while and $150 is a lot for three movies.
But the inclusion of two alternate cuts is really tempting...

OldBoy 12-27-21 04:23 PM

Those extras sound great. Was this work print known? I’m in for it all and I even loved 2016. Though I thought the 3D helped. Just remember it was one of best I’d seen…

Dan 12-27-21 04:37 PM

so the "preview cut" is in standard definition and the other alternate cuts are just the TV broadcast versions? oof.

DJariya 12-27-21 05:48 PM

I went ahead and pre-ordered it. It's $149 right now, but I'm sure the price will drop 25-30% closer to release. I pick up these limited edition sets every now and then and I want to support a set like this.

I do want to see the new bonus features and new cuts.

Bluelitespecial 12-27-21 08:35 PM

So I'm starting to worry Sony is going to cave further to Paul Feig and the losers on Twitter over GB 2016 not being in this set. If it's just a digital copy that is separate from the three films I can live with that. I'll trash that piece of paper and not think anything else of it. If they somehow include those disc's at the last minute. That would be a giant FU to the actual fans of Ghostbusters and Sony will loose any goodwill they gained from Ghostbusters Afterlife. I'd likely cancel my preorder.

TomOpus 12-27-21 09:20 PM

Maybe actual fans should be identified with a tattoo?

Kurt D 12-27-21 09:38 PM

Regarding the preview cut, that movie was heavily strength-tested. I answered a phone call in the early '80s asking what my interest level would be in a movie that would turn out to be Ghostbusters. I said it sounded great, so y'all have me to thank!

DJariya 12-27-21 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial (Post 14031354)
So I'm starting to worry Sony is going to cave further to Paul Feig and the losers on Twitter over GB 2016 not being in this set. If it's just a digital copy that is separate from the three films I can live with that. I'll trash that piece of paper and not think anything else of it. If they somehow include those disc's at the last minute. That would be a giant FU to the actual fans of Ghostbusters and Sony will loose any goodwill they gained from Ghostbusters Afterlife. I'd likely cancel my preorder.

Just give it away for free to someone here. There is a thread for it. You don't need to defend your manhood by trashing it. :lol:

TheMovieman 12-27-21 09:47 PM

Like my 4K Indiana Jones Collection, I just ignore Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. It's quite easy... :lol:

Ditto on the original Batman set and Batman & Robin, which to me was a far bigger crime than Ghostbusters 2016.

rocket1312 12-27-21 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial (Post 14031354)

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...5feb8db5b3.gif

But seriously, didn't everyone with a Vudu account already get this movie for free back in 2016? I know I did.

Bluelitespecial 12-27-21 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by rocket1312 (Post 14031418)
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...5feb8db5b3.gif

But seriously, didn't everyone with a Vudu account already get this movie for free back in 2016? I know I did.

They did and when that happened I contacted their Customer service telling them to delete it from my collection.