DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   HD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk-55/)
-   -   Ghostbusters: Ultimate Collection -- 4K UHD -- 2/1/22 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/654449-ghostbusters-ultimate-collection-4k-uhd-2-1-22-a.html)

DJariya 12-23-21 02:17 PM

Ghostbusters: Ultimate Collection -- 4K UHD -- 2/1/22
 
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...ea357451ee.jpg


Sony Pictures Home Entertainment has packaged three Ghostbusters movies into the Ultimate Collection releasing February 1, 2022. The 8-disc collection releases day-and-date with Ghostbusters: Afterlife on Blu-ray and 4k Blu-ray.

The collection includes Ghostbusters (1984), Ghostbusters II (1989), and Ghostbusters: Afterlife (2021), as well as a Special Features disc and Making Ghostbusters disc.

Oddly enough, this collection does not include the 2016 reboot Ghostbusters starring Melissa McCarthy, Kristen Wiig, Kate McKinnon, and Leslie Jones.

The edition also includes a photobook and special packaging replica of the Ghost Trap to hold all the Blu-ray cases.

Ghostbusters: Ultimate Collection is list-priced $149 US. Buy on Amazon



Paul Feig was disappointed that Sony chose to not include his 2016 film in the set


jpcamb 12-23-21 02:24 PM

Re: Ghostbusters: Ultimate Collection -- 4K UHD -- 2/1/22
 
the 2016 movie was a dumpster fire but it still seems odd not to include it in a "collection" like this.

E Unit 12-23-21 02:43 PM

Re: Ghostbusters: Ultimate Collection -- 4K UHD -- 2/1/22
 
Well…it was a “dumpster fire”, so it makes complete sense NOT to add it in a collection like this. Cute set, but I just want the content for this, not the Ghost Trap.

milo bloom 12-23-21 02:47 PM

Re: Ghostbusters: Ultimate Collection -- 4K UHD -- 2/1/22
 
I'm torn on including ATC. It's not in the same continuity as the other three so I can see not including it, but it was still a major story in the franchise.

jpcamb 12-23-21 03:03 PM

Re: Ghostbusters: Ultimate Collection -- 4K UHD -- 2/1/22
 

Originally Posted by E Unit (Post 14029808)
Well…it was a “dumpster fire”, so it makes complete sense NOT to add it in a collection like this. Cute set, but I just want the content for this, not the Ghost Trap.

do they include the Kristal Skull in an Indy set? I feel it's a trash movie but it's part of the lore if you will. I can't see how they can have used the Ghostbusters name in 2016 and not at least do a bare-bones disc to include. (not trying to start an argument.)

Bob_Bobbson 12-23-21 03:39 PM

Re: Ghostbusters: Ultimate Collection -- 4K UHD -- 2/1/22
 
I mean, 2016 has nothing to do with the other movies other than the original cast having cameos as unrelated characters. I can see what they are doing with this set as these movies sort of make up a trilogy.
I don't really see this as any different than if there was a Halloween set down the line that only included the original movie and the new trilogy.

Shannon Nutt 12-23-21 04:14 PM

Re: Ghostbusters: Ultimate Collection -- 4K UHD -- 2/1/22
 
The animated series isn't included either. People will find anything to gripe about. Ghostbusters 2016 is not part of this universe - including it here makes no sense. It's like if Never Say Never Again was included in a James Bond set (yes, I know different studios on that one...but you get the point).

TomOpus 12-23-21 04:18 PM

Re: Ghostbusters: Ultimate Collection -- 4K UHD -- 2/1/22
 
Just give me the discs, I don't need a fucking fake ghost trap.

Bluelitespecial 12-23-21 05:31 PM

Re: Ghostbusters: Ultimate Collection -- 4K UHD -- 2/1/22
 
I'm glad Sony is self aware enough to know the fans who buy this set would not want to be forced to buy GB 2016 in this set. I wouldn't even want to have those disc's as a couple of coasters

milo bloom 12-23-21 06:36 PM

Re: Ghostbusters: Ultimate Collection -- 4K UHD -- 2/1/22
 

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt (Post 14029841)
The animated series isn't included either. People will find anything to gripe about. Ghostbusters 2016 is not part of this universe - including it here makes no sense. It's like if Never Say Never Again was included in a James Bond set (yes, I know different studios on that one...but you get the point).


See, I actually feel the opposite on that one. Never Say Never Again stars the most well known Bond of all time and was written by someone who worked with Fleming and others in the Bond franchise. To me, it always feels like an odd omission to not include it. Especially after MGM went to the trouble of buying out Kevin McClory for the rights to it.

bluetoast 12-23-21 11:18 PM

Re: Ghostbusters: Ultimate Collection -- 4K UHD -- 2/1/22
 
If there was a new RoboCop box set, they wouldnít include the remake, even if Peter Weller made a cameo as a random guy. I can see the logic, even if the 2016 movie was high profile, and especially because of the negative fan reaction.

Dan 12-24-21 01:08 AM

Re: Ghostbusters: Ultimate Collection -- 4K UHD -- 2/1/22
 
I'll wait for the inevitable Complete Collection in 2024 or 2034, including the 'lost' 2016 film and the complete animated series and video games remastered for PS6.

Hazel Motes 12-24-21 08:37 PM

Re: Ghostbusters: Ultimate Collection -- 4K UHD -- 2/1/22
 
Ghostbusters 2016 was the single most disappointing cinematic experience of my life. I loathe it. So for that reason I donít care that itís not included. But Iím also a completist nerd who owns the DTV Leatherface movie from 2017. So it would have made sense for them to include it, even though Iíll never watch it again.

Mike86 12-24-21 08:52 PM

Re: Ghostbusters: Ultimate Collection -- 4K UHD -- 2/1/22
 
The set is cool, but I only want the first two films. I prefer the artwork in this set for those two versus the individual 4K releases that are currently available.

Jay G. 12-24-21 09:11 PM

Re: Ghostbusters: Ultimate Collection -- 4K UHD -- 2/1/22
 

Originally Posted by Mike86 (Post 14030311)
The set is cool, but I only want the first two films. I prefer the artwork in this set for those two versus the individual 4K releases that are currently available.

So you missed out on the 2019 steelbook of the first two films?

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...b0ec7b1776.png

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Ghost...lu-ray/240094/

John Pannozzi 12-24-21 10:05 PM

Re: Ghostbusters: Ultimate Collection -- 4K UHD -- 2/1/22
 

Originally Posted by Jay G. (Post 14030318)

Speaking of which, I assume this Ultimate Edition has all the material from that 35th Ann. Set, right? If so, I'm sold.

Mike86 12-24-21 10:41 PM

Re: Ghostbusters: Ultimate Collection -- 4K UHD -- 2/1/22
 

Originally Posted by Jay G. (Post 14030318)

Yeah, I missed out on that when it released. It is a cool looking Steelbook though. If I remember right it was hard to find pretty much right away unless you had it pre-ordered.

Gizmo 12-25-21 11:39 AM

Re: Ghostbusters: Ultimate Collection -- 4K UHD -- 2/1/22
 

Originally Posted by jpcamb (Post 14029817)
do they include the Kristal Skull in an Indy set? I feel it's a trash movie but it's part of the lore if you will. I can't see how they can have used the Ghostbusters name in 2016 and not at least do a bare-bones disc to include. (not trying to start an argument.)

Crystal Skull included Ford (aka INDIAna jones), and was an Indy movie ...so yeah, its included no matter how shitty it is.

Ghostbusters 2016 is not tied to the previous two films in any way. It's an alternate universe of queef jokes.

I like Feig, but this was a big misfire.

Dan 12-25-21 12:48 PM

Re: Ghostbusters: Ultimate Collection -- 4K UHD -- 2/1/22
 

Originally Posted by Gizmo (Post 14030429)
Ghostbusters 2016 is not tied to the previous two films in any way.

wrong, but who cares, right? ;)
https://www.denofgeek.com/wp-content...sters_bust.jpg

DJariya 12-25-21 12:55 PM

Re: Ghostbusters: Ultimate Collection -- 4K UHD -- 2/1/22
 
The new Karate Kid 4K box set doesn't have The Next Karate Kid or the 2010 version.

And I'm fine with that since it's just the original trilogy.

milo bloom 12-25-21 01:00 PM

Re: Ghostbusters: Ultimate Collection -- 4K UHD -- 2/1/22
 

Originally Posted by Gizmo (Post 14030429)
Crystal Skull included Ford (aka INDIAna jones), and was an Indy movie ...so yeah, its included no matter how shitty it is.

Ghostbusters 2016 is not tied to the previous two films in any way. It's an alternate universe of queef jokes.

I like Feig, but this was a big misfire.

That queef joke was the funniest joke.

(Autocorrect does not like that wordÖ)

Gizmo 12-25-21 01:09 PM

Re: Ghostbusters: Ultimate Collection -- 4K UHD -- 2/1/22
 

Originally Posted by Dan (Post 14030441)

Didn't they have a few of the OG ghostbusters make cameos but NOT as their Ghostbusters characters? It's not canon (AFAIK, but I not a huge ghostbusters fan, but the 2016 film is just utter trash)

Josh-da-man 12-25-21 02:36 PM

Re: Ghostbusters: Ultimate Collection -- 4K UHD -- 2/1/22
 

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt (Post 14029841)
The animated series isn't included either. People will find anything to gripe about. Ghostbusters 2016 is not part of this universe - including it here makes no sense. It's like if Never Say Never Again was included in a James Bond set (yes, I know different studios on that one...but you get the point).


Originally Posted by bluetoast (Post 14029993)
If there was a new RoboCop box set, they wouldnít include the remake, even if Peter Weller made a cameo as a random guy. I can see the logic, even if the 2016 movie was high profile, and especially because of the negative fan reaction.

I'm the same way. I don't really like it when remakes/reboots are included in franchise boxed sets (such as Halloween, Friday the 13th, Nightmare on Elm Street).

Though it does sort of become problematic when it comes to franchises that constantly reboot like Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Halloween, and Terminator. Halloween has rebooted itself so many times that the movie order looks like a flow chart, Terminator's last two films have been reboots, and Texas Chainsaw Massacre has no sense of continuity whatsoever -- 2, 3, and NG are all unrelated sequels to the original, there's a reboot and prequel to that reboot, and I don't even know how the last few films fit into anything.


Originally Posted by Gizmo (Post 14030429)
Crystal Skull included Ford (aka INDIAna jones), and was an Indy movie ...so yeah, its included no matter how shitty it is.

Yeah, love it or loathe it, Kingdom of the Crystal Skull is part of the regular Indiana Jones canon.

Gizmo 12-25-21 02:53 PM

Re: Ghostbusters: Ultimate Collection -- 4K UHD -- 2/1/22
 

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man (Post 14030474)
I'm the same way. I don't really like it when remakes/reboots are included in franchise boxed sets (such as Halloween, Friday the 13th, Nightmare on Elm Street).

Though it does sort of become problematic when it comes to franchises that constantly reboot like Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Halloween, and Terminator. Halloween has rebooted itself so many times that the movie order looks like a flow chart, Terminator's last two films have been reboots, and Texas Chainsaw Massacre has no sense of continuity whatsoever -- 2, 3, and NG are all unrelated sequels to the original, there's a reboot and prequel to that reboot, and I don't even know how the last few films fit into anything.
.

For ANOES/F13, at least the "reboot" is a single film, so its an easy toss in with their massive sets already. Ghostbusters is 2 classic films, 2016, and the new one.

Halloween, damn, is this the third reboot? They could do an OG release, Rob Zombie Collection, and whatever the new Trilogy ones will be called, even though they are now canon and 2-x are not. I guess that crap gets confusing, and is probably a very weird example. Same goes for Spider-man, now that they've linked 3 damn "sets" together, but I'm not a MCU fan, so whatever

Toddarino 12-25-21 03:21 PM

Re: Ghostbusters: Ultimate Collection -- 4K UHD -- 2/1/22
 
I wouldnít have freaked out of 2016 was included, but Iím glad itís not. It doesnít belong and another UHD disc would have made the set a teensy bit more expensive. Iíd rather not pay for that shitty movie.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:41 AM.


Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.