Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

The Incredible Hulk: The Complete Series - 10/26/21

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Old 09-09-21, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 621 Likes on 411 Posts

And directly from Universal too!

DON't MAKE ME ANGRY. YOU WOULDN't LIKE ME WHEN I'm ANGRY. Watch this warning become a mantra for mild-mannered research scientist David Banner (Bill Bixby) in The Incredible Hulk: The Complete Series! Based on the iconic Marvel comic book character, this groundbreaking TV series chronicles David's quest to find the cure for his transformations into the terrifying and enraged Hulk (Lou Ferrigno). Including all 5 seasons plus in-depth bonus features, this unforgettable series has become a fan favorite that stands the test of time!
Thereís cover art at the above link too, but Iím too lazy to futz with my phone to upload it right now.
The following users liked this post:
DJariya (09-09-21)
Old 09-09-21, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 159 Likes on 111 Posts
Re: The Incredible Hulk: The Complete Series - 10/26/21

Pumped about this. Been putting off buying the Euro BD version forever hoping one would be released here. Lots of complaints about scenes being too dark in the Euro release so hopefully that gets corrected with this set.
Old 09-09-21, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,181 Likes on 877 Posts

I already have the entire series on DVD. And I met Kenny Johnson about 10 years ago and he signed one of my DVD sets. Super nice guy.

If I didn't already have it, I would probably get this in a heartbeat. The Bixby series was a favorite of mine as a kid and I did re-watch the entire series as an adult.

Old 09-09-21, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 322 Likes on 276 Posts

First day purchase. I had been holding off from the European set for this reason.
Old 10-19-21, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 210 Likes on 183 Posts

Old 10-19-21, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca View Post
It would have been great to have 5 movies (the 2 from the series and the 3 that came out after the series ended).
Old 10-19-21, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 277 Likes on 195 Posts

Why didn't I anticipate the invention of Blu-ray when I bought the DVD set with the bubble cover? Why?
Old 10-19-21, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by b2net View Post
It would have been great to have 5 movies (the 2 from the series and the 3 that came out after the series ended).
I believe the three post series reunion movies were not made by Universal. Different production companies made them. I have the DVD for Death of the Incredible Hulk and FOX distributed it.
Old 10-19-21, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Kurt D View Post
Why didn't I anticipate the invention of Blu-ray when I bought the DVD set with the bubble cover? Why?
Just hold off and by the 4K UHD version in 15 years.
Old 10-19-21, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 59 Posts

Wow, didn't realize this actually went for 5 seasons. Will need to do a bit of childhood revisiting on this set.
Old 10-19-21, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
I believe the three post series reunion movies were not made by Universal. Different production companies made them. I have the DVD for Death of the Incredible Hulk and FOX distributed it.
"Return of" and "Trial of" are both available streaming SD. No trace of "Death of" on anything other than DVD.
Old 10-19-21, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 277 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by Spiderbite View Post
Just hold off and by the 4K UHD version in 15 years.
This fits my planning profile ...
Old 10-20-21, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Pumped about this. Been putting off buying the Euro BD version forever hoping one would be released here. Lots of complaints about scenes being too dark in the Euro release so hopefully that gets corrected with this set.
Apparently it was an authoring issue with the French version where the discs were too dark. It's my understanding that the UK version has a better encode and looks great. I've got a feeling universal won't screw up on the mastering of the disc, but we'll wait and see.

I never watched a single episode of this, but I'm thinking of blind buying. Any thoughts?
Old 10-20-21, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Ringmaster View Post

I never watched a single episode of this, but I'm thinking of blind buying. Any thoughts?
I don't know about a blind buy for this. It is probably popular more for nostalgia than anything else. If you grew up watching it then most people are fans. I haven't seen to many people mention they love it who adopted it as an adult.

Almost every episode follows the exact same formula. David Banner hits a small town by hitchhiking and gets an odd job. He meets an innocent being bullied or shaken down for money or whatever and butts in. Guys kick his ass which turns him into The Hulk. Hulk rights the wrongs by throwing the bad people in slow motion and then David ends up hitting the streets again for the next town. Rinse and repeat.

The best episodes are when they stray from that formula such as when he gets married or when there is a second Hulk. But those are few and far between. If you enjoy formula 70's TV, then you will likely love it because most episodes are packed with various "before they are stars" or character TV actors who showed up in every show imaginable during that time period.

But if none of the above sounds like your jam, I would stream a few episodes before blind buying. Just my opinion though.
The following 2 users liked this post by Spiderbite:
Kurt D (10-20-21), Trevor (10-20-21)
Old 10-20-21, 01:19 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't know about a blind buy for this. It is probably popular more for nostalgia than anything else. If you grew up watching it then most people are fans. I haven't seen to many people mention they love it who adopted it as an adult.

Almost every episode follows the exact same formula. David Banner hits a small town by hitchhiking and gets an odd job. He meets an innocent being bullied or shaken down for money or whatever and butts in. Guys kick his ass which turns him into The Hulk. Hulk rights the wrongs by throwing the bad people in slow motion and then David ends up hitting the streets again for the next town. Rinse and repeat.

The best episodes are when they stray from that formula such as when he gets married or when there is a second Hulk. But those are few and far between. If you enjoy formula 70's TV, then you will likely love it because most episodes are packed with various "before they are stars" or character TV actors who showed up in every show imaginable during that time period.

But if none of the above sounds like your jam, I would stream a few episodes before blind buying. Just my opinion though.

I grew up with the show and bought some of the dvd sets years ago. I agree on the ones that vary from the standard premise. Overall, it's a decent take on the Fugitive formula.
Old 10-20-21, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk God

I did manage to locate my 2 disc DVD of The Return of the Incredible Hulk and Trial of the Incredible Hulk. It was released by Anchor Bay in 2003 and had Thor and Daredevil.

Like Death, these are made by a different production company, so they were never going to be on this set. It's been awhile since I've seen them, but these reunion movies were really cheaply made.

I believe the 2 TV movies they are referencing in the ad above are the 2 hour Pilot movie and Death in the Family. The show was mostly a "Fugitive" type procedural formula, but it did have a few good multi-arc episodes like Married and Prometheus.

Also, the series ends incomplete. CBS cancelled it during the 5th season and only 7 episodes were filmed. So the post-show TV movies were suppose to give the show closure. They were supposed to do a 4th, but Bixby got really sick with his cancer. Even though they were supposed to do a 4th movie, Death of the Incredible Hulk does give the series closure. I think the DVDs of these movies are long out of print, so you would have to locate them in the 2nd hand market.

You have to really enjoy 70s and early 80s style TV to appreciate this series.
Old 10-20-21, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 322 Likes on 276 Posts

The acting and writing are pretty high by the standards of its day. If you enjoy the premise and generally can tolerate the slower pacing and formulaic character beats, it's not a terrible blind buy. As someone mentioned, it's The Fugitive crossed with anger issues.
Old 10-21-21, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 123 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
The acting and writing are pretty high by the standards of its day. If you enjoy the premise and generally can tolerate the slower pacing and formulaic character beats, it's not a terrible blind buy. As someone mentioned, it's The Fugitive crossed with anger issues.
Bill Bixby really makes this show work. They deal will some very difficult topics, including rape in one episode.