Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Trek Films in 4K

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Star Trek Films in 4K

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-23, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts
Re: Star Trek Films in 4K

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
I have the TNG blu-ray set (the black slipcase with the lenticular badge) and it's good enough. Only one I'd really consider wanting in 4K is First Contact.
Like TOS movies, the TNG movies also have individual 4K releases.

First Contact

Amazon Amazon
Old 04-22-23, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
The TNG set is now down to $67.99. Still waiting until it hits at least $60 before I consider it. As I said, I have the 4K digitals on iTunes, so it's not like I'm in any dire rush to have these.
Pretty good deal at that price in my opinion. Four 4K discs for roughly $16 each isn’t bad. I’m getting them individually because I prefer the single disc artwork versus the art on the box set.
Old 05-03-23, 03:25 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Wasn’t sure where to post this, but I found this never before seen short film/extension from Star Trek Generations pretty cool. It was created specifically for the Roddenberry archive. It’s also in 4K. Leonard Nimoy was digitally recreated as Spock and is visiting Kirk’s grave on Veridian III. It’s only a few minutes.

Last edited by DJariya; 05-03-23 at 03:30 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by DJariya:
DVD Polizei (09-20-23), Spiderbite (05-03-23)
Old 05-03-23, 06:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 452 Likes on 310 Posts

Wasn’t sure where to post this, but I found this never before seen short film/extension from Star Trek Generations pretty cool. It was created specifically for the Roddenberry archive. It’s also in 4K. Leonard Nimoy was digitally recreated as Spock and is visiting Kirk’s grave on Veridian III. It’s only a few minutes.
The hands are clearly from someone who's like 30 years old. The face was still a little too uncanny valley-ish for me.
Old 05-03-23, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBang
The hands are clearly from someone who's like 30 years old. The face was still a little too uncanny valley-ish for me.
I agree about the hands. That stood out to me immediately as a huge flub.

Supposedly, the Spock is actually an actor wearing prosthetics rather than CGI. I can almost buy that for the second shot, but the first one looks too much like digital de-aging to me.
Old 05-03-23, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,745 Likes on 1,890 Posts

They need to do a part two that shows Section 31 digging him up after Spock leaves.
Old 05-03-23, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 988 Likes on 697 Posts

For someone who's knowledge of Star Trek doesn't extend far beyond the movies, can anyone explain the significance of cutting back to young Spock? And for that matter, showing the Enterprise going down in flames? That looks like the original series Enterprise rather than the one that crashed in Generations. Is this a teaser for some new show or something?
Old 05-03-23, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,745 Likes on 1,890 Posts

Originally Posted by rocket1312
For someone who's knowledge of Star Trek doesn't extend far beyond the movies, can anyone explain the significance of cutting back to young Spock? And for that matter, showing the Enterprise going down in flames? That looks like the original series Enterprise rather than the one that crashed in Generations. Is this a teaser for some new show or something?
I'm not really sure what it's supposed to mean, myself.

The Enterprise seen burning up is from Star Trek III: The Search for Spock, when Kirk stole the Enterprise to retrieve Spock's body from the Genesis planet after he died and was was laid to rest there in Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan. The "young Spock" looks like Spock from Star Trek: The Motion Picture, which was the first movie in the cycle and canonically took place around fifteen years before The Search for Spock.

Maybe it's supposed to mean that old Spock at Kirks's grave is remembering a premonition he had of his own death when he was younger?
Old 05-03-23, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by rocket1312
Is this a teaser for some new show or something?
No, it's apparently a collaboration between "cloud graphics company" OTOY and the Roddenberry Archive to make short-form Star Trek themed content, the purpose of which is to show off and promote OTOY's rendering products. In addition to this short, they also have some virtual tours of starship bridges.

https://blog.trekcore.com/2023/04/ro...idge-exhibits/
The following users liked this post:
Shannon Nutt (05-12-23)
Old 09-19-23, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 452 Likes on 310 Posts

My copy of The Motion Picture 4K director’s edition box set shipped. Looks like it’s completely sold out now. As I posted in this thread, one of the producers of that set said it’s a very limited set. Once it’s gone, there’s no more.
Well, it looks like that TMP set has finally sold out (for real) within the past week or so.
The following users liked this post:
DJariya (09-19-23)
Old 09-20-23, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,411 Likes on 1,034 Posts

I know we should be wary of FOMO but I was absolutely not going to miss getting the SLV in hi definition (and widescreen).

When DVD first started up, I recall it also ignited a new interest in laserdisc collecting because of all the unique titles that were released on that format. One of the things I remember seeing from some of the LD veterans was that they had adopted a buying technique for LDs that was basically "if you see it, buy it". Meaning that due to the smaller print runs of LDs, especially special editions, if you didn't grab something when you saw it in a store, odds were you'd never see it again.

During the height of DVD, this wasn't really an issue since even "Limited Edition" releases had huge print runs, but now that physical media is on the downturn, I think we're getting back to that idea that certain titles won't always be easy to find. Something special like the TMP collector's edition was one of those things that I knew could get hard to find and I don't regret grabbing it when I did.
Old 09-22-23, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 280 Likes on 233 Posts

No regrets that I actually have two unopened sets of the TMP limited box edition that I bought not that long after it was first released (I bought another when it briefly dropped big time in price, thinking I could gift it and it helped lower my average cost for each copy, but so far no family member wants it).

That being said, it is nice that since family members kept telling me to keep it, and maybe it will be sellable down the road, that it looks like selling my dupe copy might actually get me back most or all of the money I spent on it sometime in the near future.