Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

The Official 88 Films Blu-ray Thread

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

The Official 88 Films Blu-ray Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-21, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 984 Likes on 693 Posts
re: The Official 88 Films Blu-ray Thread

Originally Posted by dex14
I can't wait to get my hands on that Armour of God set. It looks so great. I would've ordered it directly from 88, but it was more cost-effective for me to order it from zavvi mixed in with stuff from the Arrow sale. Hopefully, it ships soon.
Mine shipped from 88 a couple of days ago. Hope to have it next week sometime. Disciples of Shaolin should turn up around the same time (assuming that one is still in track for the 14th).
Old 12-10-21, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 617 Likes on 455 Posts
Re: The Official 88 Films Blu-ray Thread

Originally Posted by dex14
I can't wait to get my hands on that Armour of God set. It looks so great. I would've ordered it directly from 88, but it was more cost-effective for me to order it from zavvi mixed in with stuff from the Arrow sale. Hopefully, it ships soon.
I found it more cost-effective to order it by itself from Zavvi, too – £3.99 shipping versus £12.00 from 88 films. Looking forward to it, although after so many purchases from the UK I'm wary that 88 and/or Eureka will suddenly get North American rights to the Golden Harvest films and start reissuing these in R1 editions (which I'd kinda prefer, even though I'm region-free). I'd imagine the rights for most of that library is still tied up with Warner or whomever, but one always wonders . . .
Old 12-10-21, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The shipping charges from 88 are exorbitant now that they only offer tracked services, but I had some rewards points saved up that took a good chunk out of the cost. Not sure how much I'll order direct from them going forward, but I do like to support them, especially as they are a small operation.
Old 12-10-21, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 617 Likes on 455 Posts

I had some points saved as well, but only enough to reduce the total cost by £2.00, so in a way shipping was basically £10.00 vs £4 at Zavvi. That adds up. I do appreciate 88's tracked shipping (used it on ROBOTRIX and RICKY) and assume Zavvi doesn't offer that – my previous orders with them were so long ago I can't remember, but they arrived just the same. I tend to hope that buying their products from nearly any retailer, especially early on like this, still benefits the label in some way.
Old 12-15-21, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My Armour of God is seemingly stuck in customs hell. It left the UK on Dec. 7 and there's still no record of it showing up in the US. I know it's that time of year and all, but I almost prefer the old untracked shipping because it would ship and then just show up without issue 1-2 weeks later. Now I find myself constantly refreshing usps tracking to see if it's moved at all.

On the flipside, I did receive Disciples of Shaolin from Amazon yesterday. I wasn't convinced that I'd actually get it on release date, but there it was. Hopefully the US 88 releases continue to be this easy to get. Can't wait to check it out (even though I already own the movie on German blu).

I also watched my copy of the Chinese Boxer. Had never seen it before. It's awesome. However, I still take issue with some of these new subtitle translations. They are 1000% preferable to the Celestial provided subs, but I still feel like sometimes the translators are missing the forest for the trees. These things don't have to (and shouldn't) be exact word for word translations. They should be written to sound like something an actual person would actually say. The syntax is oftentimes clunky and it's ok to occasionally simplify or use synonyms for certain words that sound more natural. There's also a scene where "dice" is used multiple times as a singular noun, which I guess is technically acceptable in some places (maybe?), but makes my brain hurt whenever I hear/read it. Maybe it's a UK thing. I also don't need things like the Chinese text on the Shawscope logo translated. I get why some people might like that, but is it really necessary? I think it takes away from the visual impact of that particular logo, but I admit that's more of a personal thing. I also don't like when songs are translated, because most of the time the lyrics aren't terribly relevant and the translations just come off as gobbledy gook anyway. But that's not an issue with this particular movie.
The following users liked this post:
Adam Tyner (12-22-21)
Old 12-22-21, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Just received an email offering free international shipping for orders over £50 with code INTFREE.

Within the UK it's £30 with code UKFREE
Old 12-23-21, 09:25 AM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

asianxcore (12-23-21)
Old 12-23-21, 11:30 AM

John Pannozzi (02-06-22)
Old 01-15-22, 12:04 PM

On The Run is definitely coming: https://www.bbfc.co.uk/release/on-th...jpwwc0zmty2mjy
Old 02-03-22, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts

New Species BD box set. Another closet decoration for Old Boy?

The following 4 users liked this post by DJariya:
Inhumans99 (02-05-22), John Pannozzi (02-06-22), PhantomStranger (02-04-22), Spiderbite (02-11-22)
Old 02-04-22, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

I actually enjoy all of the Species sequels. Species 4 is a decent B-movie and they found an actress who wasn't a bad replacement for Natasha Henstridge.
Old 02-04-22, 04:21 PM

May 30th.... for now
Amazon Amazon

Old 02-04-22, 04:27 PM

It looks like Human Lanterns will be out June 7.
Old 02-05-22, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 280 Likes on 233 Posts

I rarely click on this thread but I am glad I just did as that Species box set announcement is wonderful, especially because the OOP Shout releases are bonkers expensive from resellers.

With the exception of being meh on the 2nd one, which I even ended up seeing in theaters, I really enjoyed the DTV sequels and agree that the 4th is actually pretty darn enjoyable. Helena Mattson stars in the 4th film. I will probably buy this set.

I hope Diabolik offers the set as I would rather buy from them than Amazon UK.

Last edited by Inhumans99; 02-05-22 at 10:27 PM.
John Pannozzi (02-06-22)
Old 02-06-22, 11:47 AM

British distributors 88 Films have revealed that they are planning to add a number of new releases to their Blu-ray catalog. Amongst them are: Romper Stomper (1992), Violent City (1970), Revenge of the Dead a.k.a. Zeder (1983), and Hero (1997).

Please note that exact technical specs and supplemental features to be included on these upcoming releases have not yet been confirmed. They will be revealed as the individual street date for each release approaches.

Romper Stomper 30th Anniversary Deluxe Collector's Edition

Hando (Russell Crowe) and Davey (Daniel Pollock) are the leaders of a racist youth gang who spend their nights attacking Asian immigrants in a rough section of Melbourne. On the run after losing badly in a fight against the new Vietnamese owners of their local pub, the pair hook up with teenage junkie Gabe (Jacqueline McKenzie), who suggests robbing the mansion of her rich and sexually abusive father (Alex Scott). But the girl's presence begins to drive a wedge between the longtime friends.

STREET DATE: MAY 30.

Violent City

After a bloody double-cross leaves him for dead, professional hit man Jeff tracks the shooter and his beautiful mistress to New Orleans. But when Jeff takes both revenge and the woman, he finds himself blackmailed by a powerful crime boss who wants the fiercely independent gunman to join his organization. Jeff refuses, and is hunted through an unforgiving city where love is like a loaded gun and debts of vengeance are paid in bullets. Directed by Sergio Sollima, and starring Charles Bronson, Jill Ireland, Michel Constantin, Telly Savalas, and George Savalas.

STREET DATE: MAY 16.

Stone

Members of the Grave Diggers Motorcycle Club are being knocked off one by one, and someone needs to find out why! Sandy Harbutt's timeless Australian cult film about a bunch of renegades riding Kawasaki 900s. Directed by Sandy Harbutt, and starring Ken Shorter, Sandy Harbutt, Deryck Barnes, Hugh Keays-Byrne, and Roger Ward.

Hero

At the end of the Qin Dynasty, Ma Wing Jing arrives in Shanghai where he saves the life of a powerful mobster. After receiving the gangster's nightclub as a Thank You gift, Wing Jing has to battle rival gangs and corrupt police. Directed by Corey Yuen, and starring Takeshi Kaneshiro, Biao Yuen, Jessica Hester Hsuan, Wah Yuen, and Valerie Chow.

STREET DATE: MAY 16.

Human Lanterns

Lung Shu Ai (Tony Liu), a pompous and wealthy man, hires Chao Fang (Lieh Lo) to make a special lantern for an annual lantern festival. Chao remembers losing his woman to Lung, so he plots revenge on the man and his loved ones. STREET DATE: MAY 16.

Half a Loaf of Kung Fu

Jiang is a hapless orphan who is amiable enough but always getting into trouble. In dreams he is a skilled fighter, but in reality he's sort of a dope. A kind beggar and an opportunistic traveler with a bad case of gas teach him skills that bring him into the employment of the Sern Chuan Bodyguards, who are protecting a priceless gemstone--the Evergreen Jade. A band of robbers attempts a heist and Jiang and his flatulent friend must defeat the crooks in comic style.

Revenge of the Dead

Stefano, a young journalist, buys a used typewriter and accidentally sees that some text is still readable on the ribbon. He manages to reconstruct the story of a scientist, Paolo Zeder, who in the 1950's discovered that some types of terrain have the power to revive the dead that are buried in them. Stefano's investigations bring him in contact with a group of renegade scientists that are still making experiments to prove Zeder's theories. Directed by Pupi Avati, and starring Gabriele Lavia, Anne Canovas, Paola Tanziani, Cesare Barbetti, and Bob Tonelli.

STREET DATE: APRIL 25.

Species Collection - Deluxe Collector's Edition

BOX SET CONTENT:

DISC ONE: Species (1995)

When government scientist Xavier Fitch (Ben Kingsley) intercepts a space transmission containing the genetic sequence for an alien life form, he uses it to produce "Sil" (Natasha Henstridge) -- a gorgeous alien-human hybrid. As Fitch's team grows concerned at her rapid rate of growth, Sil wrecks the laboratory and begins a violent quest for a suitable male human to impregnate her. The U.S. government dispatches top assassin Preston Lennox (Michael Madsen) and a team of experts to stop her.

Special Features and Technical Specs:
Audio Commentary with Natasha Henstridge, Michael Madsen and Director Roger Donaldson
Audio Commentary with Director Roger Donaldson, Make-Up Effects Creator Steve Johnson, Visual Effects Supervisor Richard Edlund and Producer Frank Mancuso Jr.
Audio Commentary with Critics Kim Newman and Film-maker Sean Hogan
After Birth: The Evolution of Species
From Sil to Eve
The Making of Species: The Origin, The Concept, The Discovery
Designing a Hybrid
Alternate Ending
Theatrical Trailer
Stills Gallery
Optional English SDH subtitles for the main feature
DISC TWO: Species II (1998)

Having just returned from a mission to Mars, Commander Ross (Justin Lazard) isn't exactly himself. He's slowly becoming a terrifying alien entity with one goal -- to procreate with human women! When countless women suffer gruesome deaths after bearing half-alien offspring, scientist Laura Baker (Marg Helgenberger) and hired assassin Press Lennox (Michael Madsen) use Eve (Natasha Henstridge), a more tempered alien clone, to find Ross and his brood. Before long Eve escapes to mate with Ross.

Audio Commentary with Director Peter Medak
From Sil to Eve with Natasha Henstridge
Creature Creations: The Effects of Species II
Alien Evolutions with Chris Brancato
Special Effects Outtakes & behind the Scenes Footage
Species II: Eve of Destruction
"Additional Unseen Footage":
- The Debutants
- The Strip Club
- Transvestite
- Extended Tongue
Theatrical Trailer
DISC THREE: Species III (2004)

After she delivers her child in an ambulance, alien Eve (Natasha Henstridge) is killed by a half-breed. Fortunately, Dr. Abbot (Robert Knepper) scoops up the baby alien and escapes. In time, the baby grows into a gorgeous blonde named Sara (Sunny Mabrey) and begins her quest to find a worthy mate. But Sara is also savage and leaves a trail of deaths in her wake. This carnage makes chemistry student Dean (Robin Dunne) question whether to help her race or not.

Audio Commentary with Director Brad Turner, Writer Ben Ripley and Actor Robin Dunne
Audio Commentary with Film Journalists Dave Wain and Matty Budrewicz
Alien Odyssey: Evolution
Alien Odyssey: Species DNA
Alien Odyssey: Alien Technology
Alien Odyssey: Intelligent Lifeforms
Genesis
Falling Apart
Original Trailer
DISC FOUR: Species The Awakening (2007)

Awakening from a mysterious blackout, college professor Miranda Hollander finds herself surrounded by a mass of mutilated bodies, and is horrified to discover that she is a half-human/half-alien clone. Worried that she will soon be unable to suppress the killer instincts boiling up within her it will be only a matter of time before planet Earth becomes the ultimate extraterrestrial battleground.

Audio Commentary with Film Journalists Dave Wain and Matty Budrewicz
Alien Awakenings - An Interview with Director Nick Lyon
Miranda's Memories - An Interview with Actress Helena Mattson
Deleted Scenes
Original Trailer
STREET DATE: APRIL 25.
John Pannozzi (02-10-22)
Old 02-07-22, 02:03 PM

Their first UHD release... I already bought the Blu from MVD

Adam Tyner (02-07-22)
Old 02-07-22, 02:03 PM

Old 02-07-22, 03:19 PM

As soon as 88 films puts Species up for pre-order I think I am also going to add the Anaconda box set to my order, as that is another goofy series with a bunch of DTV sequels that I have all seen at least once when they aired on cable channels like the Syfy network over the years. Someone mentioned that even though shipping might be a bit expensive, they use tracked shipping so knowing when something from the UK will be in my hands in CA is worth a few extra bucks. Also, maybe a dumb question but I take it from the amount of folks who order films from 88 Films that they will play just fine on my several years old Samsung 4K player, from what I googled I think I have nothing to worry about.
Old 02-07-22, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by Inhumans99
Also, maybe a dumb question but I take it from the amount of folks who order films from 88 Films that they will play just fine on my several years old Samsung 4K player, from what I googled I think I have nothing to worry about.
Is it a Region Free player?
Old 02-07-22, 03:46 PM

I just googled after I took a picture of the back of my unit, which is the Samsung ubd-k8500, and the answer seems to be it is only a Region A/1 player. On 88 Films site for direct ordering from them, I see under specs for a set like Anacondas that it says Region ABC, so far so good. We shall see what the specs say for the Species set.

I have been googling and giving myself an education and the more I learn the more I realize that when I think I have the answer that I am wrong. I see that if something is labeled Region ABC then I need a region 0 (region free) player to play the film/show back on a player in North America. So the Anacondas set would need to be labeled as only Region A for my unmodified Samsung 4K to play it without error, but since it is coded as ABC it does not mean that I can play the films back on a region A or Region B or Region C player, it is not one or the other but rather a player that does not care which region the disc is coded for.

I am a pretty smart guy but can sometimes be a bit slow to understand but I get it now. The Arrow Shawscope, Gamera, and Weird Science films I own say Region A so that is why I have nothing to worry about, but if any of these titles were coded for Region ABC then I would need region free player. By jove, I think I finally got it, lol!!

The best I can hope for is that they put out Region A versions of their titles that I can buy from Diabolik, or another reputable fan favorite site.

Last edited by Inhumans99; 02-07-22 at 04:35 PM.
Old 02-07-22, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by Inhumans99
I just googled after I took a picture of the back of my unit, which is the Samsung ubd-k8500, and the answer seems to be 100% yes, a region free player so I am all good. Yay.
If you had to Google it... I'm going to guess it isn't. Generally, someone would have to specifically buy a region-free player. Do you know where you bought it?
UHDs are (in most cases) region free regardless, so the players are "region free" in the sense that they can play UHDs from all over, but that doesn't mean they can play Region B Blu-rays if it wasn't modified to do so.

Last edited by dex14; 02-07-22 at 04:22 PM.
Old 02-07-22, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

Aside from hacking and a few stray knock-off Blu-ray brands, the only widely available BD player able to play region-locked BDs were certain Panasonics through pressing the Top Menu button while the disc was loading.

A Blu-ray coded Region ABC can be used by any player, anywhere in the world. Players can be coded to play all Regions from any disc, usually through a hardware hack. The studios wised up with BD and made hacking region codes on the format more difficult than the simple software hacks found on DVD.

Outside of a handful UHDs, 99% of them are region-free.
Old 02-07-22, 04:59 PM

Hi Dex, as you can see I updated my post to confirm that you are correct that I do not have a region free player. I think I will just stick to imports that are coded as Region A / 1 as I have no interest in spending a couple hundred bucks on pre-moded player that may or may not work when delivered. I enjoy the Species films, but not enough to drop a couple hundred bucks to be able to watch them, lol. Maybe Shout will eventually re-acquire the rights and re-release the films.

ETA: Saw Phantom's reply not long after I hit post. My understanding was that if I buy a blu ray or blu ray box set that is coded ABC, that unless the back of my 4k player also has a marking that shows ABC, that I need to stick with discs that are only coded as Region 1/A, are you saying that even through I have a Region 1/A only player, that a disc that is coded for regions ABC will play just fine on a Region 1/A player?

Last edited by Inhumans99; 02-07-22 at 05:04 PM.
Old 02-07-22, 05:44 PM

You can get a Region Free BLU-RAY player for $140 bucks: https://www.220-electronics.com/sony...vd-player.html
This is just an example. Just my opinion, but it is a great investment. It opens you up to a lot of great stuff.

Yes to your question. If a Blu-ray is labeled ABC (or says All Regions), then it means it will play in ANY Blu-ray player. If it was just label B, you would not be able to in your current player.
Old 02-07-22, 06:01 PM

Thanks folks, sorry to have been a pest but I figured that asking questions on a site devoted to DVD/Blu Ray/UHDs would be the best place to get answers to my questions. Y'all are awesome. Now I just have to pray that that the online specs match what is actually on the blu ray case, lol. Phantom, Dex, I really appreciate your both stepping in to address my questions.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.