Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Caveat Emptor: Die Hard 5-Movie Collection

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-21, 12:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 166 Likes on 132 Posts

I wasn't able to find a discussion about this, so I thought I would share my recent experience involving the Die Hard 5-Movie Blu-Ray Collection that was released back in 2017. The set--as indicated right on the front of the packaging--is supposed to include both the theatrical and extended cuts of Live Free or Die Hard and A Good Day to Die Hard. As some of probably know, there was an issue with some box sets going out with only the theatrical versions of one or both of the above.

I saw this collection for a decent price and did some research about how buyers dealt with getting the incorrect disc(s). What I found were anecdotes from people who simply contacted Fox and got the discs replaced without any fuss, so I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the purchase. Surely enough, I got a box set that contained only the theatrical version of A Good Day.

Some of you are probably ahead of the game and have already guessed the issue that arose. 'But Disney took over Fox last year,' you might be saying. 'Are they going to do the replacements?'

Well, I forgot about that particular twist in the plot and of course didn't clue into the fact that the anecdotes I found were from before Disney's takeover of Fox. So here's what happened next...

There's a toll-free number on the back of the packaging, which presumably was Fox's customer support line. When I called it, I was greeted with, 'Thank you for calling Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment Guest Relations.' So kudos to the Mouse for at least keeping Fox's number active. I then had a conversation with a pleasant young lady who went through my particulars and info about the product I was calling about.

This all sounded very promising...it was like filling in paperwork to get an issue resolved with a major corporation, something I'm pretty sure most of us have had experience with. It was after she collected all my details that the rep finally got to the punchline to this gag: Disney has no access to any of Fox's physical inventory. While sounding upbeat and positive (big companies certainly invest in training, I'll give them that) she mentioned the only thing she might be able to do is get me a full refund if I were to send the entire box set to Disney, and then I could use the refund to buy digital copies of the films. I then explained to her that wasn't going to work because I'm a physical media devotee, and I only wanted the one disc replaced. She apologized but facts is facts (she said it much more nicely than that), so we ended the conversation cordially with the issue unresolved.

I didn't get overly upset about this because not considering that Disney taking over Fox would result in such a snag was certainly on me. I was just a little too eager to jump on a good deal and didn't cover all the angles, so again, I can only point the finger of blame at the guy in the mirror.

The other thing is that I at least got the extended cut of Live Free or Die Hard, which--unlike Die Hard 5--is a movie I actually enjoy. Had I not gotten the extended cut of the fourth film, I would've been pretty bummed.

And it could've been far worse: I could've wound up with damaged discs or multiple copies of A Good Day to Die Hard in the box set and been stuck with those. That would've sent me over the edge.

There was one other thing that came of the conversation with the Disney customer service rep: she mentioned (and I know this is complete conjecture on her part) that Disney might re-release the Die Hard Collection under their own brand in the future and that I might be able to get the issue dealt with at that time. Considering that the disc in question is for the worst film in the series (that's an objective fact that we all agree upon, right?), I really can't see myself making a note to myself for some unknown date in the future to deal with this.

So this is my PSA to anyone who's thinking about buying the Die Hard 5-Movie Blu-Rays or, actually, any Fox title. You might want to check with the House of Mouse prior to spending your hard-earned dollars to see what they say about how they can or cannot assist if you run into a manufacturing issue.

Hope this is helpful.

Last edited by L Everett Scott; 02-11-21 at 02:27 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by L Everett Scott:
John Pannozzi (02-14-21), PhantomStranger (02-11-21)
Old 02-11-21, 12:43 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,204 Likes on 4,231 Posts
Re: Caveat Emptor: Die Hard 5-Movie Collection

I thought they were calling the Die Hard movie collection “Caveat Emptor” which seemed a little odd.
Old 02-11-21, 02:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

^For the collection, yes, that would've been odd. For a title for that fifth film, no, it would've been completely appropos.
The following users liked this post:
JeremyM (02-12-21)
Old 02-11-21, 02:44 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts

I got the earlier box set, the caveat there is that Die Hard 2 has the newer CG News Corporation Fox opening plastered over the original opening that was on the movie. Considering I mainly bought the set because the DVD of Die Hard 2 looked bad (the 3rd one did also of course) I was pretty mad. I bought the 5th movie separately and that has 2 versions on it.
Old 02-11-21, 04:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts

If it bothers you, couldn't you just buy a copy of A Good Day to Die Hard on blu-ray and stick that in your set? Looks like you can buy a used copy on Amazon for as little as $1.87.
Old 02-11-21, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
If it bothers you, couldn't you just buy a copy of A Good Day to Die Hard on blu-ray and stick that in your set? Looks like you can buy a used copy on Amazon for as little as $1.87.
Appropriate price for a movie about homicide.
Old 02-11-21, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Thanks for your suggestion. I forgot to mention that I'm in Canada, so unfortunately, I wouldn't be able to get that $1.87 used copy you found--the site filters it out when I pull up the third party sellers' list. The cheapest I can get it for up here from Amazon.ca is about $8.50 CAD after shipping, which is considerably more than I'd be willing to spend for that movie.

Besides, I'm not too broken up about it. I only made the call to Disney to see if I could get a replacement disc relatively pain-free. It didn't work out, and while I'm not exactly ecstatic about not getting what I paid for, there are considerably more pressing concerns that require my time and energy, especially given our current circumstances. As I mentioned, it's not like I'm missing the extended cut of Live Free, so I'm not losing any sleep over this issue.
Old 02-11-21, 08:48 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

When does this Caveat Emptor set come out? Anything new?
Old 02-12-21, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts

When I saw the thread title, I thought maybe it was a warning about an upcoming UHD set. Boo.
Old 02-13-21, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 481 Likes on 353 Posts

I've got this set. I haven't watched Live Free or Die Hard yet, but I got the set just for the unrated version of that movie. I'll have to check it to make sure it's the right version...
Old 02-13-21, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,303 Likes on 947 Posts

Probably in the minority but I thought after buying the third movie, I had plenty of Die Hard. Last two I saw in the theater and they weren't that good.
Old 02-13-21, 07:27 PM
Banned by request

Likewise. And I’ve seen the uncut Live Free or Die Hard, I never saw why people are so hard pressed to get it. Just a handful of shots of just a little more violence. I’d be happy if 2 and 3 go to 4K, but that’s more than enough for me.
Old 02-13-21, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts

Originally Posted by E Unit
Likewise. And I’ve seen the uncut Live Free or Die Hard, I never saw why people are so hard pressed to get it. Just a handful of shots of just a little more violence. I’d be happy if 2 and 3 go to 4K, but that’s more than enough for me.
Agreed. I'd be perfectly content with only the original trilogy in 4k.
Old 02-15-21, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 481 Likes on 353 Posts

I checked mine, and they're all the right versions.
Old 02-16-21, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by E Unit
Likewise. And I’ve seen the uncut Live Free or Die Hard, I never saw why people are so hard pressed to get it. Just a handful of shots of just a little more violence.
The only reason anyone gives a damn about the "uncut" Live Free or Die Hard is to be able to hear the "Yippee-Kiy-Yay..." line without being intentionally drowned out by background sound effects. Beyond that, the only other significant difference is some fake-looking digital blood spatters.
BackStJoe (02-17-21)
Old 02-16-21, 01:16 PM
Banned by request

Like I mentioned, I’ve seen both (a very long time ago), but never really saw a difference in them. I’m guessing it totals to no more than a few minutes. I also preferred the alternate title Die Hard 4.0
John Pannozzi (02-17-21)
Old 02-17-21, 10:01 AM

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by L Everett Scott
Considering that the disc in question is for the worst film in the series (that's an objective fact that we all agree upon, right?)
Nope...I loved A Good Day To Die Hard, but I have only seen the extended cut (not to rub it in.)
I'd rate Live Free as the worst...never mind the silliness of how he gets involved with cyber terrorists, but the jet is just so over the top ridiculous I can't take it.

I'd rate the movies:
Die Hard
Die Hard 2
A Good Day To Die Hard
Die Hard with a Vengeance
Live Free or Die Hard

I do empathize with your problem!