Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Movies you were/are really excited about when you heard coming to Blu-ray?

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Old 02-17-21, 07:53 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 235 Likes on 204 Posts

I say Blu-ray just because it is the longer spanning (right now anyway) of the next gen mediums and let’s face it, even though 4K may look and sound incredible, you just don’t get the special edition, sometimes really appeasing all around package like you still do with Blu-ray.

We already know Critetion doesn’t do Blu and Arrow only just started. And almost all of the time extras are only on Blu-ray with a 4K set. Rarely do you see 4K only extras, besides of course, the upgrade in video resolution and audio. So it’s really just upgrade in movie.

And Blus can be any region.

Anyway, what were you stoked about when it came out on Blu in any incarnation (whether loaded set or just movie looking at least somewhat better than it ever did before)? The sometimes glorious sets only on Blu.

And, what future blus announced are you looking forward to?

I'm gonna come back to the ones I already have and was excited on Blu, but I gotta say, I’m really looking forward to the Indicator UK Irreversible. I bet it will look better than it ever has before and the 2 cuts and new extras. I was amazed, shocked and just loved this movie, even though it is so graphic and I don’t love what happened to Monica (or any woman in general), but something about this movie when I saw it way back and I truly don’t even know why I saw it or even if I rented or watched the original DVD. But, yeah, when this comes out, I’m really looking forward.

**Edit edit to add** It’s also funny, my #1 favorite episode of Seinfeld is “The Betrayal”, S9 E8, where the entire episode was told in reverse, including credits. Absolutely brilliant. Weird coincidence. Something so graphic and something so funny share a big similarity.

Last edited by OldBoy; 02-25-21 at 08:11 PM.
Old 02-17-21, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Re: Movies you were/are really excited about when you heard coming to Blu-ray?

Currently Defending Your Life from Criterion. It is probably my most watched dvd of the last 5 years.
Old 02-17-21, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Ms. 45
Old 02-18-21, 07:04 PM

Received 114 Likes on 86 Posts

I have never been more excited about a group of releases than I have been for the Hong Kong classics recently coming from 88 Films, Eureka and soon Arrow. Never in my wildest dreams did I think we'd ever get editions of this quality. For anyone unfamiliar, these lables have engaged a handful of hardcore fans who have been gathering materials and doing the sort of QC that the HK rights holders would never ever do themselves. They haven't all been perfect, but they're better than anything these movies have ever seen. I can't wait to see what they have up their sleeves for the next year.
The following users liked this post:
John Pannozzi (02-19-21)
Old 02-18-21, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 160 Likes on 134 Posts

Buffalo '66. Due to it being a film I really like, and that I didn't expect to ever be released on Blu-ray.

Qatsi Trilogy on Criterion Blu-ray.

Trilogy of Terror / Race With the Devil / The Car - All cheesy '70s horror titles I also didn't expect, on Blu-ray.
John Pannozzi (02-19-21)
Old 02-19-21, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 68 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by davidlynchfan View Post
Ms. 45
Who is doing Ms. 45?
Old 02-19-21, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 68 Likes on 59 Posts

Probably Friday the 13th Part 3 in 3D, after several prior failed attempts. Even then they messed it up a bit but issued a corrected disc.
John Pannozzi (02-19-21)
Old 02-19-21, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 273 Likes on 209 Posts

The Tex Avery compilations for sure. I have Looney Tunes, Droopy and Tom & Jerry sets on DVD, I guess Tex never got a dedicated DVD set that I can recall? But these two Blu releases of his shorts have been pre-orders for me and I hardly ever pre-order anything.
I was also thrilled to get The Black Hole on Blu, as the DVD was starting to show it's age on a 60" screen.

I wish I could say the Star Wars movies, but we all know why that's not a big one for some of us.
John Pannozzi (02-19-21)
Old 02-19-21, 01:30 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by DWilson View Post
Who is doing Ms. 45?
Drafthouse films. Came out long time ago already.
Old 02-21-21, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 138 Likes on 117 Posts

Audition (1999)
Cannibal Holocaust (1980)
Demons (1985)
Demons 2 (1986)
Dust Devil (1992)
Ichi The Killer (2001)
Memories of Murder (2003)
A Serbian Film (2010)
Suspiria (1977)
The Untold Story (1993)
Wait Until Dark (1967)
Old 02-23-21, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 42 Likes on 35 Posts

When I saw Walter Hill's "Johnny Handsome" on Blu-ray for $7.99 in a Best Buy dump bin, that's when I decided to buy a Blu-ray player. The DVD for this film was terrible and I had been on the fence about up-grading to Blu-ray at that point.

Looking back, I think I had more fun with the DVD era as there was a great vibe in the industry that this bold new technology was introducing consumers to a vast collection of titles at cheap prices - at least relative to Laser Disc prices.

For me, I was much more reluctant with buying Blu-ray. There was a lot of "I just paid $25 for the DVD three years ago. Do I really need to spend another $25 for the Blu-ray? I only watched that DVD once!"
Old 03-01-21, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by orangerunner View Post

Looking back, I think I had more fun with the DVD era as there was a great vibe in the industry that this bold new technology was introducing consumers to a vast collection of titles at cheap prices - at least relative to Laser Disc prices.

For me, I was much more reluctant with buying Blu-ray. There was a lot of "I just paid $25 for the DVD three years ago. Do I really need to spend another $25 for the Blu-ray? I only watched that DVD once!"
Yeah, I'm still that way. I put a lot of time into collecting DVDs and many of them have special packaging and I have whole movie series like that. And the Blu versions are just a plain old blue plastic case. And I'm trying to go through a lot of my old DVDs and see how they look on a big display and many of them still look good enough, so there's a lot I haven't upgraded.
Old 03-01-21, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 477 Likes on 345 Posts

I agree about DVDs being so much more fun to collect. Maybe itís because I was younger and cared more about collecting than I do now or maybe it was because VHS to DVD was a bigger leap than DVD to Blu-ray but itís nowhere near as exciting as it was during the DVD days.

Iíll add my contribution to this thread. IMO, the greatest Blu-ray release of all time is the 5-disc set of Blade Runner. To this day itís probably the most excited Iíve been for a blu-ray. I also just checked and canít believe itís been almost 14 years since it was released!
Old 03-02-21, 04:13 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

To start
Arrow
Over the Edge (1979) Too bad it is only getting a UK release. Arrow does not have the US rights.
OldBoy LE. Includes all 3 movie from the trilogy. Had lots of orders canceled trying to get this one for around $50?

Crash 4K UHD
Old 03-02-21, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ View Post
I agree about DVDs being so much more fun to collect. Maybe itís because I was younger and cared more about collecting than I do now or maybe it was because VHS to DVD was a bigger leap than DVD to Blu-ray but itís nowhere near as exciting as it was during the DVD days.

Iíll add my contribution to this thread. IMO, the greatest Blu-ray release of all time is the 5-disc set of Blade Runner. To this day itís probably the most excited Iíve been for a blu-ray. I also just checked and canít believe itís been almost 14 years since it was released!
Yeah, that really set the standard. 5 cuts of the movie, the feature length documentary, plus the deleted scenes arranged into a mini-movie format. Not to mention the briefcase with the toys.
I bought the DVD set first with the briefcase, then let it go and found a promo version of the briefcase at a thrift store that only had a promo DVD in it and bought a Blu set separately to go with it.
GoldenJCJ (03-02-21)
Old 03-02-21, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 42 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by milo bloom View Post
And I'm trying to go through a lot of my old DVDs and see how they look on a big display and many of them still look good enough, so there's a lot I haven't upgraded.
In several instances, I have sold-off the Blu-ray and kept the DVD. The Near Dark Blu-ray fetched $45 which comes in a plain Blu-ray case but I kept the 2-disc DVD with the nice foil cardboard Digipak and the booklet. Dawn of the Dead was another title where I chose to keep the 4-disc Ultimate Edition and sold the Blu-ray for $50.

milo bloom (03-02-21)