Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

The Official Arrow Films 4K/Blu-ray Discussion and Release Thread

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

The Official Arrow Films 4K/Blu-ray Discussion and Release Thread

Old 06-22-22, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 264 Likes on 219 Posts
Re: The Official Arrow Films 4K/Blu-ray Discussion and Release Thread

Originally Posted by milo bloom View Post
Did I read somewhere that 12 Monkeys had an error? Do I need to see about a disc exchange?
Yup! I believe Arrow Video has acknowledged the issue but hasn't started the replacement program yet.

This is from last month:
Spoiler:

Old 06-22-22, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 920 Likes on 696 Posts

I got the regular Blu-ray, was that one okay?
Old 06-22-22, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 984 Likes on 636 Posts

I got the regular Blu-ray, was that one okay?
The error is on the 2018 BD too. It largely (completely?) went unnoticed then.
Old 06-23-22, 05:15 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 451 Likes on 308 Posts

I got my stuff in already: Mill of the Stone Women, Andromeda Strain and 12 Monkeys.

Did I read somewhere that 12 Monkeys had an error? Do I need to see about a disc exchange?
I watched the UHD knowing there was an issue and still didn’t notice it. I had to look up the scene and watch it two or three times to see the problem. I’m glad they’re doing a disc replacement, but I can see why this went unnoticed for so long.
Old 06-23-22, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 984 Likes on 636 Posts

New announcements tomorrow. MVD leaked one of the titles:
Spoiler:
A Fugitive from the Past

Considered the magnum opus of the five decades-long career of Tomu Uchida (Bloody Spear at Mount Fuji, The Mad Fox), the epic crime drama A Fugitive from the Past was voted third in the prestigious Kinema Junpo magazine's 1999 poll of the Top Japanese Films of the 20th Century. In 1947, a freak typhoon sends a passenger ferry running between Hokkaido and mainland Japan plunging to the ocean depths, with hundreds of lives lost. During the chaos, three men are witnessed fleeing a burning pawnshop in the Hokkaido port town of Iwanai. The police suspect theft and arson, and when Detective Yumisaka (Junzaburo Ban) discovers the burned remains of a boat and the corpses of two men, he sets about tracking the shadowy third figure. Meanwhile, the mysterious Takichi Inukai (Rentaro Mikuni) takes shelter with a prostitute, Yae (Sachiko Hidari), a brief encounter that will come to define both of their lives. A decade later, long after the trail has gone cold, Yumisaka is called back by his successor Detective Ajimura (Ken Takakura) as two new dead bodies are found. Making its home video debut outside of Japan, this adaptation of Tsutomu Minakami's 1700-page novel is a landmark in master director Uchida's oeuvre. Its gritty monochrome photography has the immediacy of newsreel as Uchida uses the landscapes of postwar Japan to explore the massive social upheaval and unspoken legacies of the war, and create an unsettling karmic allegory of a man's struggle to escape his past sins.

Bonus Materials

• High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) presentation of the restored 183 minute-long cut of the film
  • Original uncompressed mono audio
  • Optional English subtitles
  • Introduction by writer and curator Jasper Sharp
  • Scene-specific commentaries from leading Japanese film scholars Aaron Gerow, Irene González-López, Erik Homenick, Earl Jackson, Daisuke Miyao and Alexander Zahlten
  • Original theatrical trailer
  • Image gallery
  • Tomu Uchida filmography
  • Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Tony Stella
  • FIRST PRESSING ONLY: Fully illustrated collector’s booklet featuring writing on the film by David Baldwin and Inuhiko Yomota

Sales Points

• Winner of 7 Awards including Best Actor, Actress, Supporting Actor, Director & Screenplay
  • For fans and collectors of Arrow's Japanese Cinema titles
  • Voted third on the final poll of the Top Japanese Films of the 20th Century

…but just the one. Unclear if there’s more to come for the US or if the other one (since September is only supposed to have two titles) will be UK-only.
Old 06-24-22, 09:12 AM

Received 2,746 Likes on 1,877 Posts

Old 06-25-22, 06:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 228 Likes on 170 Posts

I anxiously awaiting the news about Volume 2 Shwscope titles and release date.
Old 06-30-22, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner View Post
They’ve released quite a few so far: the twelve-movie ShawScope box set, Come Drink with Me, and The 8 Diagram Pole Fighter.

ShawScope Vol. 2 is coming later this year, and we might see some additional standalones. (I’m hoping for Super Inframan for sure.) Among the 14 movies in the second volume are Invincible Shaolin, The Magnificent Ruffians, The Kid with the Golden Arm, Ten Tigers of Kwangtung, and The Boxer’s Omen.
Originally Posted by dex14 View Post
My Young Auntie, Mad Monkey Kung Fu, 36th Chamber Trilogy
MERCENARIES FROM HONG KONG (Hong Kong, 1982; Dir. Wong Jing): An avalanche of non-stop gunfire, pyrotechnics, wild motorcycle stunts, and barrels of bloody excitement from Wong Jing, in true ’80s style. Starring some of the most famous Shaw legends: Ti Lung (THE DUEL), Lo Lieh (FIVE FINGERS OF DEATH), Wong Yu (DIRTY HO), and Wang Lung-Wei (HONG KONG GODFATHER). Unseen on Canadian screens for over 35 years. World Premiere of Arrow Films’ new 2K restoration.
https://rue-morgue.com/third-and-fin...etails-photos/
The following users liked this post:
Adam Tyner (06-30-22)
Old 06-30-22, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 524 Likes on 368 Posts

I wasn't familiar with Mercenaries from Hong Kong before I saw this. Now that I've looked it up, all I can say is "awesome". More like this please. Hopefully it makes the cut in volume 2. I'd rather this than some of the c-grade venoms titles.
Old 06-30-22, 12:02 PM

Received 183 Likes on 142 Posts

That gives me hope that at least one of the future boxed sets might lean more toward contemporary-set HK action pictures of the Shaw brothers era, and away from the straight-up period martial arts shows. I can think of quite a few worthwhile titles, but who knows what they've picked up!

EDIT: I should probably add that Arrow had pretty good materials to work with on this. The print on my IVL/Celestial DVD was in excellent shape. Actually, a lot of the Shaw brothers elements were in fine condition back then (better than most had surmised over all the years they were mostly absent), so other than mild cleanups and generally better transfers, I'm just glad to see any picture like this one finally re-appearing on these shores.

Last edited by Brian T; 06-30-22 at 01:17 PM.
Old 06-30-22, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 743 Likes on 523 Posts

Originally Posted by rocket1312 View Post
I wasn't familiar with Mercenaries from Hong Kong before I saw this. Now that I've looked it up, all I can say is "awesome". More like this please. Hopefully it makes the cut in volume 2. I'd rather this than some of the c-grade venoms titles.
I haven't heard of it either. I haven't seen many of his films, but Wong Jing's critical reputation is that of a hack.
Old 06-30-22, 01:48 PM

Definitely a part of Volume 2

Old 06-30-22, 02:19 PM

Received 183 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by Norm de Plume View Post
I haven't heard of it either. I haven't seen many of his films, but Wong Jing's critical reputation is that of a hack.
Personally I don't think that title is entirely earned, and has seemingly most often been applied by western fans (or "fans"?) of HK cinema who – for whatever reason – couldn't adjust to his free-wheeling, lowest-common-denominator, often incongruous blends of action, comedy, drama, violence, horror, cheesecake, stolen concepts, etc., often swirling together within the same film, even though that was a mix that domestic HK audiences of those eras went in for time and time again. I think they kinda knew what they would get – popcorn movies packed with incident and . . . stuff – so there was presumably some kind of comfort factor there. He's made his fair share of local duds for sure, but he was a reasonably consistent maker of "popular" entertainments in that era, and worked with all of the top stars with fairly large budgets to match. I doubt he'd have had the 106-film career he has (so far) if local audiences didn't see something of themselves and their culture reflected in his work, and I tend to approach and review them with that in mind.

Since then, however . . .

. . . I do feel that a lot of his output from the last 15 years or so – in part due to his willingness to bend over and praise communist China – really does play like big-budget hackwork sometimes, lazily revisiting 'moments' and 'feels' of his earlier work without the same sense of abandon and/or excess that fuelled Hong Kong cinema – and Hong Kong – in general throughout the golden era. See the VEGAS TO MACAU trilogy, or the CHASING THE DRAGON duo, for example. He recently co-directed two NEW KUNG FU CULT MASTER films with a cast largely made up of HK vets – no doubt in part to make up for his 1993 original lacking a second film to wrap up the story – but what few reviews I've seen have been mixed, despite all the whiz-bangery on screen:
Spoiler:

Last edited by Brian T; 06-30-22 at 03:04 PM.
Norm de Plume (06-30-22)
Old 06-30-22, 02:58 PM

Received 524 Likes on 368 Posts

Originally Posted by Norm de Plume View Post
This is many years before the Wong Jing of Naked Killer and the like. And the Shaw system guaranteed a certain level of homogeneity. Bottom line is it's got Ti Lung, Lo Lieh and Wang Lung Wei in a contemporary crime film, which is pretty much an automatic sell for me.

And it's not like late period Chang Cheh is a high bar to cross for inclusion in one of these sets.
Norm de Plume (06-30-22)
Old 07-01-22, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Wong Jing himself knows about his reputation as a hack especially if you get to watch “Whatever You Want” a 90’s Shaw in which he makes fun of WKW and himself.

Looking forward to Mercenaries as it’s one that I haven’t watched before.
Norm de Plume (07-01-22)
Old 07-01-22, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Brian T View Post
That gives me hope that at least one of the future boxed sets might lean more toward contemporary-set HK action pictures of the Shaw brothers era, and away from the straight-up period martial arts shows. I can think of quite a few worthwhile titles, but who knows what they've picked up!

EDIT: I should probably add that Arrow had pretty good materials to work with on this. The print on my IVL/Celestial DVD was in excellent shape. Actually, a lot of the Shaw brothers elements were in fine condition back then (better than most had surmised over all the years they were mostly absent), so other than mild cleanups and generally better transfers, I'm just glad to see any picture like this one finally re-appearing on these shores.
Arrow have hinted that they would focus on Chor Yuen in one of the upcoming volumes.