Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

The Official Arrow Films 4K/Blu-ray Discussion and Release Thread

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

The Official Arrow Films 4K/Blu-ray Discussion and Release Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-21, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts
Re: The Official Arrow Films 4K/Blu-ray Discussion and Release Thread

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Haven't Russ Meyer films always been hard to track down on home video?
Back in the day the easy way was to call RM Films and order. Depending on who was around when you called, Russ himself might take your order.
Old 05-10-21, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts

The Daimajin Trilogy (3-Disc Limited Edition) [Blu-ray]

July 27th

https://www.scifijapan.com/kaiju-mon...BKw_tWK9BHkHUU
The following users liked this post:
John Pannozzi (05-10-21)
Old 05-11-21, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 635 Likes on 467 Posts

About time the Daimajin films got a decent SE treatment over here, even if the first one is far better than the others. ADV had these in the DVD days but their various releases were pretty sloppy (non-anamorphic transfers in the boxed set; at least one pan/scan version in the reissues). Mill Creek finally did them right in their triple feature, and included a nearly 90-minute interview feature with the cinematographer split across the three films, which appears to be included in Arrow's set as a single extra on the third film.
Old 05-21-21, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,704 Likes on 2,662 Posts

Arrow just released some news about the replacement program for the defective Donnie Darko 4K disc

PhantomStranger (05-21-21)
Old 05-21-21, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

I just tried to sign up for that but the damn thing wouldn't actually let me upload the screenshots of my purchase. Guess I'll have to cry it with my computer.
Old 05-27-21, 06:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 222 Likes on 196 Posts

I saw this entry on another site, -thought I'd pass it along....

Zavvi leaked tomorrow's announcements, but they've now been removed. Thankfully someone saved them. Taken from Sterling450 on the Arrow UK thread:

A Tale of Two Sisters
Blind Beast
The Brotherhood of Satan
Dune UHD (with Zavvi exclusive Steelbook)
Dinner in America
The Sergio Martino Collection [The Case of the Scorpion's Tail; Your Vice is a Locked Room and Only I Have the Key; The Suspicious Death of a Minor]
El Topo reissue
The Holy Mountain reissue

Old 05-27-21, 07:02 AM

Received 4,649 Likes on 3,146 Posts

Old 05-27-21, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 222 Likes on 196 Posts

Basically you get a 4K disc of the Theatrical cut and a blu-ray with mostly new featurettes, art cards, poster and a book. The steelbook drops the swag but includes a blu-ray of the film. No word yet if this is just UK or it's US/UK. Obviously, there'll be more details in the next day or so.
Old 05-27-21, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,429 Likes on 1,043 Posts

I was seriously expecting the extended cut with this kind of release and I'm disappointed it's not there. I'll be passing on this one for now.
It really sucks because my extended DVD apparently has rot and stopped working the last time I tried to play it a few months ago. I haven't bothered looking for a replacement since I thought it would be in this Arrow release.
Old 05-27-21, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 262 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by DWilson
Basically you get a 4K disc of the Theatrical cut and a blu-ray with mostly new featurettes, art cards, poster and a book. The steelbook drops the swag but includes a blu-ray of the film. No word yet if this is just UK or it's US/UK. Obviously, there'll be more details in the next day or so.
Where are you finding details on the contents?

Edit: Never mind. I see that Zavvi listed the specs before they pulled the listing down.

DISC ONE - FEATURE & EXTRAS (4K ULTRA HD BLU-RAY):
  • 4K (2160p) UHD Blu-ray™ presentation in Dolby Vision (HDR10 compatible)
  • Original uncompressed stereo audio and DTS-HD MA 5.1 surround audio
  • Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard-of-hearing
  • Brand new audio commentary by film historian Paul M. Sammon
  • Brand new audio commentary by Mike White of The Projection Booth podcast
  • Impressions of Dune, a 2003 documentary on the making of the film, featuring interviews with star Kyle MacLachlan, producer Raffaella de Laurentiis, cinematographer Freddie Francis, editor Antony Gibbs and many others
  • Designing Dune, a 2005 featurette looking back at the work of production designer Anthony Masters
  • Dune FX, a 2005 featurette exploring the special effects in the film
  • Dune Models & Miniatures, a 2005 featurette focusing on the model effects in the film
  • Dune Costumes, a 2005 featurette looking at the elaborate costume designs seen in the film
  • Thirteen deleted scenes from the film, with a 2005 introduction by Raffaella de Laurentiis
  • Destination Dune, a 1983 featurette originally produced to promote the film at conventions and publicity events
  • Theatrical trailers and TV spots
  • Extensive image galleries, including hundreds of still photos

DISC TWO – BONUS DISC (BLU-RAY):
  • The Sleeper Must Awaken: Making Dune, a brand new feature-length documentary by Ballyhoo Motion Pictures exploring the making of the film, featuring dozens of new and archive interviews with cast and crew
  • Beyond Imagination: Merchandising Dune, a brand new featurette exploring the merchandise created to promote the film, featuring toy collector/producer Brian Sillman (The Toys That Made Us)
  • Prophecy Fulfilled: Scoring Dune, a brand new featurette on the film’s music score, featuring interviews with Toto guitarist Steve Lukather, Toto keyboardist Steve Porcaro, and film music historian Tim Greiving
  • Brand new interview with make-up effects artist Giannetto de Rossi, filmed in 2020
  • Archive interview with production coordinator Golda Offenheim, filmed in 2003
  • Archive interview with star Paul Smith, filmed in 2008
  • Archive interview with make-up effects artist Christopher Tucker
* EXTRAS STILL IN PRODUCTION AND SUBJECT TO CHANGE *

Special Features:
  • Brand new 4K restoration from the original camera negative
  • 60-page perfect-bound book featuring new writing on the film by Andrew Nette, Christian McCrea and Charlie Brigden, an American Cinematographer interview with sound designer Alan Splet from 1984, excerpts from an interview with the director from Chris Rodley’s book Lynch on Lynch and a Dune Terminology glossary from the original release
  • Large fold-out double-sided poster featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Dániel Taylor
  • Six double-sided, postcard-sized lobby card reproductions
  • Limited edition packaging with reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Dániel Taylor

Last edited by Josh Z; 05-27-21 at 12:05 PM.
Old 05-27-21, 12:29 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

So just the theatrical cut? I'll still have to buy this.
Old 05-27-21, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by E Unit
So just the theatrical cut? I'll still have to buy this.
What I'm hearing is that Universal no longer has rights to the TV cut in the US or UK (and Arrow had to license from Universal). However, those who really want the TV cut should hold tight for an announcement from Germany.
Old 05-27-21, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That's a bizarre thing to lose the rights to, since they released the film. Or, does the di Laurentis group own all that? Why wouldn't they license it out again?
Old 05-27-21, 09:29 PM

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by milo bloom
That's a bizarre thing to lose the rights to, since they released the film. Or, does the di Laurentis group own all that? Why wouldn't they license it out again?
Studio Canal might have the rights, they own (most of) the DEG library.
Old 05-27-21, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Location: Formerly known as L. Ron zyzzle - On a cloud of Judgement
Received 1,871 Likes on 1,253 Posts

That movie is whack, but all I have is the flipper DVD. I am in at the right price, I no longer need the weirding module
Old 05-28-21, 03:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,793 Likes on 1,922 Posts

Does the extended cut exist in HD? Or could this be a case (like the Star Trek: The Motion Picture Directors Cut) where it was only finished in 480p/i?
Old 05-28-21, 03:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

It really sucks because my extended DVD apparently has rot and stopped working the last time I tried to play it a few months ago. I haven't bothered looking for a replacement since I thought it would be in this Arrow release.
Universal and their fucking DVD-18s...
bunkaroo (05-29-21)
Old 05-28-21, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Does the extended cut exist in HD? Or could this be a case (like the Star Trek: The Motion Picture Directors Cut) where it was only finished in 480p/i?
The extended cut was released on Blu-ray in Germany, but (IIRC) it was spliced together from theatrical cut scenes in HD with extra TV cut scenes upconverted.
Old 05-28-21, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Dune fans have a ton of options today, and some of them are selling quickly.

In the UK, Arrow is releasing:
- 2-Disc Limited Edition with book, poster, and other physical swag (UHD + Bonus Features BD, new worm art) -- *Note: A comparable Blu-ray + Bonus Features LE is also available.
- 3-Disc Steelbook (UHD, Blu-ray, Bonus Features BD, original theatrical poster art)
- 3-Disc Limted Edition Deluxe Steelbook with 2 BOOKS and physical swag (UHD, Blu-ray, Bonus Features BD, original theatrical poster art)

That last one is the only way to get the 2nd book. In the US, Diabolik DVD has opened orders for all three.

In Germany, Koch Films is releasing:

- 3-Disc SteelBook (UHD + Blu-ray, Bonus Features BD, exclusive art)
- 3-Disc MediaBook (UHD, Blu-ray, Bonus Features BD, different exclusive art)
- 7-Disc Ultimate Edition (UHD, Blu-ray, 2 Bonus Features BDs, 2 extended cut discs, soundtrack CD, artwork not yet revealed)

That last one is exclusive to the Koch Films shop, which unfortunately does not ship to the US or the UK. The other two don't claim to be exclusive, but I don't see them available on Amazon.de yet.

https://shop.kochfilms.de/de/dune-de...och-films-shop
https://shop.kochfilms.de/de/dune-de...ch-films-shop1
https://shop.kochfilms.de/de/dune-de...och-films-shop

The contents of the two extended cuts discs are not yet confirmed, but I'm heaving that they may be both the MCA TV cut and the "Spicediver" fan edit. No word on whether either is remastered in HD, but I wouldn't hold your breath. "Spicediver" currently only exists in 360p resolution.

Last edited by Josh Z; 07-01-21 at 01:36 PM.
Old 05-28-21, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

There's no official explanation, but a friend of mine who's fairly knowledgable about these things believes that Lynch has pressured Universal to take the "Alan Smithee" TV cut out of circulation.
Old 05-28-21, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Josh Z
There's no official explanation, but a friend of mine who's fairly knowledgable about these things believes that Lynch has pressured Universal to take the "Alan Smithee" TV cut out of circulation.
If he's not going to take another run at editing it, then I wish he'd just leave it be. That film means a lot to folks like me.
John Pannozzi (05-29-21)
Old 05-28-21, 01:54 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 942 Likes on 789 Posts

does the Bluray LE copy have the extras that i see listed on the 4K UHD disc? does Zavvi charge right away?
  • Impressions of Dune, a 2003 documentary on the making of the film, featuring interviews with star Kyle MacLachlan, producer Raffaella de Laurentiis, cinematographer Freddie Francis, editor Antony Gibbs and many others
  • Designing Dune, a 2005 featurette looking back at the work of production designer Anthony Masters
  • Dune FX, a 2005 featurette exploring the special effects in the film
  • Dune Models & Miniatures, a 2005 featurette focusing on the model effects in the film
  • Dune Costumes, a 2005 featurette looking at the elaborate costume designs seen in the film
  • Thirteen deleted scenes from the film, with a 2005 introduction by Raffaella de Laurentiis
  • Destination Dune, a 1983 featurette originally produced to promote the film at conventions and publicity events
Old 05-28-21, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If he's not going to take another run at editing it, then I wish he'd just leave it be. That film means a lot to folks like me.
He has left the theatrical cut alone. But the Smithee cut was a direct insult to him personally when it was made and has undoubtedly been a bone of contention between him and Universal for the past 35 years.

Plus, I think he's still angry at Universal for licensing Lost Highway to Kino rather than Criterion.
Old 05-29-21, 04:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

He has left the theatrical cut alone. But the Smithee cut was a direct insult to him personally when it was made and has undoubtedly been a bone of contention between him and Universal for the past 35 years.
Screenplay by Judas Booth...

Josh Z (05-29-21)
Old 05-29-21, 09:00 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,198 Likes on 847 Posts

Plus, I think he's still angry at Universal for licensing Lost Highway to Kino rather than Criterion.
Still waiting on some kind of overseas 4K release on that one. I imagine Kino has the US/Canada rights for quite some time. Admittedly, I never picked up that disc to compare it to my Australian BD...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.