Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Miami Vice (2006) Theatrical Cut

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-20, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 131 Likes on 102 Posts

While going through my HD-DVDs I noticed the Miami Vice combo has the Unrated cut on the HD-DVD side of the disc with the original R-rated theatrical cut on the DVD side.

My Miami Vice DVD and Blu-ray only have the unrated version. I'm just curious if this HD-DVD is the only physical version that ever contained the original theatrical cut?
Old 04-06-20, 01:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 194 Likes on 156 Posts
Re: Miami Vice (2006) Theatrical Cut

No, it's still available on DVD.

Amazon Amazon
Old 04-06-20, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 425 Likes on 306 Posts

You can find the theatrical cut on all digital platforms.
Old 04-06-20, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 131 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by mwbmis
Thanks, I guess that would've been the logical first place for me to look! I'm surprised they didn't use the seamless branching and just make one unrated/theatrical version.

If I remember, I think Michael Mann mentioned the theatrical cut was his studio-rushed version and not how he really wanted it.
Old 04-06-20, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 92 Likes on 88 Posts

He should've shot it on film, not HD. He was once a great filmmaker but now is kind of a joke...Public Enemies should've ruled, given the awesome book it was based on and the subject matter but he f**ed but shooting it in HD....So many other filmmaker could've made that movie work but he just screwed it up...And I'm a giant fan of Heat...just wish he had done something similar but he was too lazy to do so...
Old 04-07-20, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by orangerunner
If I remember, I think Michael Mann mentioned the theatrical cut was his studio-rushed version and not how he really wanted it.
Mann would say that about every movie he's ever made. He's an incessant tinkerer and makes changes to all of his old movies every time he looks at them.
Old 04-07-20, 10:04 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Originally Posted by Goonies85
He should've shot it on film, not HD. He was once a great filmmaker but now is kind of a joke...Public Enemies should've ruled, given the awesome book it was based on and the subject matter but he f**ed but shooting it in HD....So many other filmmaker could've made that movie work but he just screwed it up...And I'm a giant fan of Heat...just wish he had done something similar but he was too lazy to do so...
Shooting on film or digital has nothing to do with execution. I was very interested when I first read that he was going to shoot on digital instead of film. It was a breakthrough, but unfortunately he was cut short by the limitations of how good digital film could be at that time. Dark’s were absolute crap, then you magnify that on the big screen it made it even worse. Now it’s flawless, but then again he made the movie in 2006.

Originally Posted by Josh Z
Mann would say that about every movie he's ever made. He's an incessant tinkerer and makes changes to all of his old movies every time he looks at them.
Yeah, there’s like 4-6 cuts of Mohicans. He jacks with cuts and all sorts of things in just about all of his films.