Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

MVD, Synapse, and Blue Underground Releases Masterthread

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

MVD, Synapse, and Blue Underground Releases Masterthread

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-20, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 2,052 Likes on 1,353 Posts
re: MVD, Synapse, and Blue Underground Releases Masterthread

Posted in the UHD thread, but Arrow Video’s first Ultra HD releases have been announced/leaked: Pitch Black and Flash Gordon.
Old 05-29-20, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 461 Likes on 373 Posts

Now the question for me is whether I should buy the Flash Gordon set.
Old 05-29-20, 04:38 PM

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Full details on the Gamera Collection revealed:

The original hero in a half-shell returns! For the first time ever worldwide, all twelve tales of the adventures of everyone’s favorite titanic terrapin are collected together in one deluxe Blu-ray boxset. This limited edition collectors’ set traces the decades-long evolution of Gamera, from the “friend of all children” in his more light-hearted earlier films, to the Guardian of the Universe in the groundbreaking 1990s reboot series, often hailed as three of the best kaiju films ever made.

​COLLECTOR’S EDITION BOXSET CONTENTS
  • Limited collectors’ edition packaging, housed in a large-format rigid box, fully illustrated by Matt Frank
  • Casebound, fully-illustrated disc book containing eight Blu-ray discs
  • High Definition (1080p) versions of all twelve films, with lossless original Japanese audio and a complete collection of English dub tracks, including classic American International dubs on the Showa-era films remastered from original MGM elements
  • Hardback 130-page comic book including a full-colour reprint of the four-issue Gamera comic series originally released by Dark Horse Comics in 1996, and the first-ever English-language printing of the prequel comic The Last Hope by Matt Frank and Joshua Bugosh
  • Perfect-bound 80-page book including a new retrospective on the series by Patrick Macias, an archive interview with Noriaki Yuasa by David Milner, kaiju X-ray illustrations by Jolyon Yates, Fangoria set reports on the Heisei trilogy by Norman England, and a viewers’ guide to the English-dubbed versions of the films
  • Double-sided four-panel poster of “Gamera’s Map of Japan” in both Japanese and English
  • Collectors’ artcards for each film, featuring new artwork by Matt Frank

DISC ONE – GAMERA THE GIANT MONSTER
  • High Definition (1080p) transfer of Gamera the Giant Monster, with lossless original Japanese and dubbed English mono audio, and optional English subtitles
  • Commentary and newly filmed introduction by August Ragone
  • High Definition (1080p) transfer of Gammera the Invincible (Blu-ray premiere), the American theatrical version of the film, with lossless mono audio and optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard-of-hearing
  • Remembering the Gamera Series, an archive featurette from 1991, including interviews with director Noriaki Yuasa, writer Nisan Takahashi and others
  • Interview with Noriaki Yuasa, filmed by Jörg Buttgereit in 2002
  • Gamera Special, an hour-long best-of compilation supervised by Noriaki Yuasa in 1991
  • Alternate English credits
  • Trailer and image galleries

DISC TWO – GAMERA VS. BARUGON / GAMERA VS. GYAOS
  • High Definition (1080p) transfers of Gamera vs. Barugon and Gamera vs. Gyaos, with lossless original Japanese and dubbed English mono audio, and optional English subtitles
  • Commentary on Gamera vs. Barugon by August Ragone & Jason Varney
  • Commentary on Gamera vs. Gyaos by Stuart Galbraith IV
  • Newly filmed introductions to both films by August Ragone
  • High Definition (1080p) transfer of War of the Monsters, the shorter American edit of Gamera vs. Barugon, with lossless English audio
  • Alternate English credits for both films

DISC THREE – GAMERA VS. VIRAS / GAMERA VS. GUIRON
  • High Definition (1080p) transfers of Gamera vs. Viras and Gamera vs. Guiron, with lossless original Japanese and dubbed English mono audio, and optional English subtitles
  • Choice of three different versions of Gamera vs. Viras via seamless branching (72-minute Theatrical Version, 81-minute Director’s Version and 90-minute US Extended Version)
  • Commentary on Gamera vs. Viras by Carl Craig and Jim Cironella
  • Commentary on Gamera vs. Guiron by David Kalat
  • Newly filmed introductions to both films by August Ragone
  • New featurette with actor Carl Craig showing his souvenirs and props from Gamera vs. Viras
  • Highlights from the G-FEST X convention in 2003, featuring Noriaki Yuasa and Carl Craig
  • The 4th Nippon Jamboree, a promotional film for the Boy Scouts of Japan directed by Yuasa in 1966
  • Alternate English credits for both films

DISC FOUR – GAMERA VS. JIGER / GAMERA VS. ZIGRA / GAMERA SUPER MONSTER
  • High Definition (1080p) transfers of Gamera vs. Jiger, Gamera vs. Zigra and Gamera Super Monster, with lossless original Japanese and dubbed English mono audio, and optional English subtitles
  • Commentary on Gamera vs. Jiger by Edward L. Holland
  • Commentary by Gamera vs. Zigra by Sean Rhoads & Brooke McCorkle
  • Commentary on Gamera Super Monster by Richard Pusateri
  • Newly filmed introductions to all three films by August Ragone
  • Alternate English credits for all three films

DISC FIVE – GAMERA THE GUARDIAN OF THE UNIVERSE
  • High Definition (1080p) transfer of Gamera the Guardian of the Universe, from a 4K restoration by Kadokawa Pictures
  • Original Japanese and dubbed English DTS-HD MA 5.1 and 2.0 audio, with optional English subtitles
  • Commentary by Matt Frank
  • Newly filmed introduction by August Ragone
  • A Testimony of 15 Years: Part 1, the first in an epic three-part documentary interviewing cast and crew of the Heisei Trilogy
  • Interviews with director Shusuke Kaneko and SFX director Shinji Higuchi, filmed by Jörg Buttgereit in 2002
  • Extended 90-min interview with Shinji Higuchi from 2001, focusing on the trilogy’s special effects
  • Behind the scenes featurettes tracing the film’s production from announcement to release

DISC SIX – GAMERA 2: ATTACK OF LEGION
  • High Definition (1080p) transfer of Gamera 2: Attack of Legion, from a 4K restoration by Kadokawa Pictures
  • Original Japanese and dubbed English DTS-HD MA 5.1 and 2.0 audio, with optional English subtitles
  • Commentary by Kyle Yount
  • A Testimony of 15 Years: Part 2, the next part of the documentary interviewing cast and crew of the Heisei Trilogy
  • On-set footage from the shooting of the film’s main unit and special effects filming
  • Behind the scenes featurettes tracing the film’s production from announcement to release
  • “Lake Texarkana” comedic dub track

DISC SEVEN – GAMERA 3: REVENGE OF IRIS
  • High Definition (1080p) transfer of Gamera 3: Revenge of Iris, from a 4K restoration by Kadokawa Pictures
  • Commentary by Steve Ryfle & Ed Godziszewski
  • A Testimony of 15 Years: Part 3, the final part of the documentary interviewing cast and crew of the Heisei Trilogy
  • Newly filmed interview with Kaho Tsutsumi about the DNA Tokasatsu exhibition in Tokyo, by kaiju historian Edward L. Holland
  • Deleted Scenes
  • The Awakening of Irys (Remix), a montage of behind-the-scenes footage and work-in-progress special effects footage
  • Spoof commentary by “Gamera” & “Soldier No.6”

DISC EIGHT – GAMERA THE BRAVE
  • High Definition (1080p) transfer of Gamera the Brave
  • Commentary by Keith Aiken & Bob Johnson
  • How to Make a Gamera Movie, a featurette hosted by director Ryuta Tasaki
  • Behind The Scenes of Gamera the Brave, an all-access on-set documentary
  • The Men That Made Gamera, a documentary looking back at the series from start to finish, featuring interviews with cast and crew
  • Opening Day Premiere, a featurette showing the cast and crew presenting the film at its first showing
  • Kaho’s Summer, an interview with the film’s young star
  • Special Effects Supercut, a montage of effects shots overseen by FX supervisor Hajime Matsumoto

Specifications
  • Running Time: 1174 Mins
  • Number of Discs: 8
  • Language: Japanese
  • Subtitles: English
  • Audio: 1.0 / 2.0 / 5.1
  • Aspect Ratio: 1.85:1 / 2.35:1
  • Color: B&W / Color
The following 2 users liked this post by John Pannozzi:
Adam Tyner (05-29-20), Trevor (05-29-20)
Old 05-29-20, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

I was hoping to see DVD Talk’s own Stuart Galbraith IV on the list, and sure enough...!
The following users liked this post:
Trevor (05-31-20)
Old 05-31-20, 01:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 389 Likes on 323 Posts

Adam Tyner (05-31-20)
Old 06-04-20, 08:09 PM
TOTY Winner 2018 and Inane Thread Master

Received 1,043 Likes on 873 Posts

can't wait to dig into this one again (the movie, not the release, though the new scene while probably not major at 1m28s, but still new to me). Sixteen Candles.
Old 06-04-20, 08:11 PM
TOTY Winner 2018 and Inane Thread Master

Received 1,043 Likes on 873 Posts

and i still think Arrow needs it's own thread. it's like Shout. why not lump Shout into this?? no, don't i was joking. about Shout, not Arrow still being it's own thread...
Old 06-05-20, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The following 2 users liked this post by asianxcore:
Adam Tyner (06-05-20), PhantomStranger (06-06-20)
Old 06-05-20, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

News from the MVD /MVD Rewind Camp:

The Taking of Deborah Logan - 7/14/20

Snapdragon (1993) - 7/14/20

Brutal Massacre (2007) - 8/11/20

Old 06-09-20, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Old 06-09-20, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Love the artwork for that Steelbook. Will probably pick this up.

From Synapse's site:

Beautifully restored in 4K from the original camera negative, Synapse Films presents the film for the FIRST TIME EVER on Blu-ray with the true original English theatrical mono mix and the real opening and closing credit sequences intact.
Old 06-09-20, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

I’m disappointed that there’s not a UHD release, and I’m kind of bracing myself for one in the next 6-12 months, but I couldn’t resist. It’s a longtime favorite, I’m really excited about the extras, and the steelbook is ridiculously gorgeous.
Old 06-10-20, 07:05 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 920 Likes on 590 Posts

Glad I actually checked this megathread otherwise I would have missed out on that Django release.
Old 06-10-20, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
I’m disappointed that there’s not a UHD release, and I’m kind of bracing myself for one in the next 6-12 months, but I couldn’t resist. It’s a longtime favorite, I’m really excited about the extras, and the steelbook is ridiculously gorgeous.
Same! Knowing Synapse's track record, this will probably be another solid release in their catalog.

Love the film as well. A friend introduced it to me a long while back via the Anchor Bay DVD and I've repeatedly upgraded it ever since

Originally Posted by Toddarino
Glad I actually checked this megathread otherwise I would have missed out on that Django release.
I'm glad one of my posts here actually helped someone!

Doing my best to post information here as I search it out.
Old 06-10-20, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Coming this Fall! This might exclusively be a UHD/BD combo. Blue Underground mentioned that in a broader sense on Facebook but didn’t say it about Daughters of Darkness specifically. But this is a combo, unlike 3 of their first 4 UHD releases.

PhantomStranger (06-12-20)
Old 06-10-20, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

So Blue Underground, Arrow, and Shout! make enough money to release UHDs, and Criterion doesn't? Is that right?
Old 06-10-20, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Originally Posted by EinCB
So Blue Underground, Arrow, and Shout! make enough money to release UHDs, and Criterion doesn't? Is that right?
My theory has been that Criterion is gunshy in part because they don’t think the market is there and in part because of the repercussions even one release would have on the line as a whole. My guess is that the best prospect for a physical UHD release from Criterion is that a filmmaker they really want to work with is insistent upon it. I could write (and have written!) a rambling treatise saying more, but that’s really a topic for another thread.
asianxcore (06-10-20)
Old 06-10-20, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by EinCB
I obviously don't work at any of the companies listed but my guess would be that Criterion doesn't believe this format is big enough to invest in it

Coming this Fall! This might exclusively be a UHD/BD combo. Blue Underground mentioned that in a broader sense on Facebook but didn’t say it about Daughters of Darkness specifically. But this is a combo, unlike 3 of their first 4 UHD releases.
A Blue Underground film I don't own! Will definitely be picking that up.
Old 06-12-20, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 927 Likes on 782 Posts

My theory has been that Criterion is gunshy in part because they don’t think the market is there and in part because of the repercussions even one release would have on the line as a whole. My guess is that the best prospect for a physical UHD release from Criterion is that a filmmaker they really want to work with is insistent upon it. I could write (and have written!) a rambling treatise saying more, but that’s really a topic for another thread.
I think you are on to something. Because once you release a single UHD, that genie can't go back into the bottle. Criterion's fanbase will start demanding UHDs for everything, holding out for the inevitable UHD.

Old 06-13-20, 01:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

For anyone who cares about Slipcovers as much other forums do:

(Via Blue Underground FB):

ZOMBIE 4K UHD Slipcover Update: The last stock of the original pressing is heading out the door of our distributor next week. Once that sells out at retailers, it will no longer come with the slipcover. We're placing the order for a second pressing today, which we expect to be in stock by August 3rd. Thank you to everyone who's purchased this release! We never expected it to sell out so quickly.
Old 06-13-20, 01:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Split Second (1992) - 8/11/20

This release will be a collaboration between MVD & 101 Films. The original 101 Films transfer for this film was pretty bad so I'm glad MVD oversaw the new transfer.

Old 06-13-20, 01:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Specs for MVD/MVD Rewind release of Split Second (1992)SPECIAL FEATURES:

• High Definition (1080p) presentation of the main feature in its original 1.85:1 aspect ratio, newly scanned, restored and color graded in 4K from the 35MM internegative
• Audio: 2.0 LPCM Stereo
• English Subtitles
• NEW! Audio Commentary by action film historian Mike Leeder and filmmaker Arne Venema
• NEW! “Great Big Bloody Guns!” Producer Laura Gregory & Actor Alastair (Neil) Duncan on Split Second (HD, 27:25)
• NEW! “Call Me Mr. Snips!” An Interview with Composer Stephen W. Parsons (HD, 22:21)
• NEW! “Stay In Line!” An Interview with Line Producer Laurie Borg (HD, 23:02)
• NEW! “More Blood!” An Interview with Creature Effects Designer Cliff Wallace (HD, 32:03)
• NEW! “Shoot Everything!” An Interview with Cinematographer Clive Tickner (HD, 18:57)
• Original 1992 Split Second “Making of” featurette that includes interviews with stars Rutger Hauer, Kim Cattrall, Alastair (Neil) Duncan, Michael J. Pollard, Writer Gary Scott Thompson and more! (SD, 6:26)
• Original 1992 behind the scenes featurette with effects creator Stephen Norrington, cast and crew (SD, 3:41)
• Split Second Japanese Cut, full frame with burnt-in Japanese subtitles (SD, 95:00)
• Deleted Scenes from the Japanese Cut (English, burnt-in Japanese subtitles) (SD, 4:42)
• 7 Promotional TV Clips (SD)
• U.S. VHS Home Video Promo (SD, 2:34)
• Theatrical Trailer (SD, 2:15)
• MVD EXCLUSIVE: Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by The Dude Designs created exclusively for this release
• Collectible Mini-Poster featuring original VHS style artwork
Old 06-13-20, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Just for fun, I wrote a review of the Zombie UHD BD yesterday. (Since I bought one copy from Deep Discount and another from BullMoose, I figure I ought to get as much mileage out of 'em as possible!)

I cannot get over how gorgeous Zombie looks in 4K, especially since I thought its Techniscope origins might prevent it from looking quite as nice as a 'normal' 35mm production would. The far finer grain and further refined detail make an impact, but HDR is the real game-changer here. I gave the 3-disc BD set a perfect five star rating less than 2 years ago, but switching back and forth between players throughout a good bit of the movie, the colors and lighting look so much blander by comparison now. The new Atmos remix is used to strong effect, though it didn't knock my socks off quite the way that Maniac did with its booming synthesizers.
Spiderbite (06-13-20)
Old 06-13-20, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,319 Likes on 1,013 Posts

Didn't know where else to put this, so here goes:

ABKCO Unveils Alejandro Jodorowsky: 4K Restoration Collection!

Looks to be a direct port of the Arrow Video UK box set.

https://www.comingsoon.net/movies/ne...ion-collection

Old 06-13-20, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I cannot get over how gorgeous Zombie looks in 4K, especially since I thought its Techniscope origins might prevent it from looking quite as nice as a 'normal' 35mm production would.
Damn, I need getting into 4K would hurt my wallet

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.