Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Paramount Presents - new label launching 4/21/20

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Old 03-10-20, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 266 Likes on 186 Posts

PARAMOUNT PICTURES LAUNCHES NEW “PARAMOUNT PRESENTS” LABEL TO CELEBRATE FILMS FROM THE STUDIO’S EXPANSIVE LIBRARY

HOLLYWOOD, Calif.— March 10, 2020 – Paramount Pictures announced today that it will introduce a new “Paramount Presents” label to recognize and celebrate films from the studio’s vast and storied library. The “Paramount Presents” banner will be used for a new line of collectible Blu-ray Discs™ incorporating a curated selection of enduringly popular movies, as well as films that had a cultural impact upon their release. The first three films in the Blu-ray line will be the unforgettable phenomenon Fatal Attraction, which has been remastered under the supervision of director Adrian Lyne; 1958’s acclaimed Elvis Presley drama King Creole; and director Alfred Hitchcock’s intoxicating romantic thriller To Catch A Thief, which celebrates its 65th anniversary this year. All three titles will be available beginning April 21, 2020. Fatal Attraction will also have a limited theatrical release in 2020 (details to be announced at a later date). Additional titles scheduled to be released as part of the “Paramount Presents” Blu-ray line include newly remastered editions of Flashdance, Airplane!, and Ghost, as well as several titles arriving on Blu-ray for the first time ever, including Pretty In Pink and The Golden Child.

“Paramount’s library represents over a century of filmmaking and includes some of the greatest films in cinematic history,” said Bob Buchi, president, worldwide home media distribution, Paramount Pictures. “We look forward to opening the vault and sharing some of our most treasured films with fans under the new ‘Paramount Presents’ banner, both in theaters and in our new Blu-ray collection, which has been crafted to offer something special to casual fans, dedicated film enthusiasts, and collectors.” Designed for fans and film lovers, the new line of “Paramount Presents” Blu-ray Discs will include a diverse and eclectic array of films spanning all genres. The new collection will return each title to the spotlight with meticulously remastered releases that include brand new bonus content focused on the filmmakers. Presented in collectible packaging that includes a foldout image of the original movie poster and interior artwork featuring key movie moments, each Blu-ray in the Paramount Presents line features new interviews with filmmakers and/or celebrated film historian Leonard Maltin.
Fingers crossed for Roman Holiday, which is indefensibly long overdue.
Old 03-10-20, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 160 Likes on 129 Posts
Re: Paramount Presents - new label launching 4/21/20

And to really celebrate, Paramount will make sure none of these will be part of MA.

But hell, I’m in, just so I can get a new remaster of Airplane.
Old 03-10-20, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Shout has some Paramount titles, don't they? Did the studio suddenly realize they've been neglecting a reasonable revenue stream for no apparent reason? And aren't there Blu-rays for most of those titles already? Ghost, Airplane, Flashdance, To Catch A Thief, Fatal Attraction all exist, and have decent special features for those who like those movies. Are people really screaming for new transfers on those? And King Creole on Blu in general? Seems like an excuse to repackage existing stock, or at best add some superfluous extras. And The Golden Child? Really?
Old 03-10-20, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 155 Posts

Paramount seems like one of the laziest studios when it comes to releases. This line will probably end up like the Sapphire Series from way back where theyíll release some and abandon it.
Old 03-10-20, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

ďParamountís library... includes some of the greatest films in cinematic history,Ē said Bob Buchi.

And yet they're choosing to release Ghost, Flashdance, and The Golden Child instead?

Old 03-10-20, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

It's surprising how many fairly high-profile films have never been released on Blu-ray by Paramount, at least in North America.

Pretty in Pink
Some Kind of Wonderful
Golden Child
Harlem Nights
Boomerang
Another 48 Hrs.
Vampire in Brooklyn
Urban Cowboy
Blue Chips
Best Defense
...and so on.

The following users liked this post:
BuckNaked2k (03-19-20)
Old 03-10-20, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 72 Likes on 58 Posts

So this is a new line for physical media releases and not just MOD titles? I still want a new release of the Ghost and the Darkness.
Old 03-10-20, 02:34 PM

Not sure I'd count most of those as classic cinema greats, but there's certainly some excellent filmmaking in the bunch (and plenty of so-so performers). I don't get why Paramount wouldn't be more eager to let the boutique labels (besides Olive, preferably) more freely pick over their catalog, especially if they're only going to keep rehashing the same old titles they deem "enduringly popular" under their own banner. You'd think with the Fox catalog now off limits or whatever, Paramount might see a good niche opening up.

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial View Post
So this is a new line for physical media releases and not MOD titiles? I still want a new release of the Ghost and the Darkness.
Long overdue. Would be nice to see Breakdown as well.

Last edited by Brian T; 03-10-20 at 03:18 PM.
Old 03-10-20, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 131 Likes on 117 Posts

I already have the original Paramount BD that was released in 2011 or 2012. I hope these new editions have updated remasters because I don't care for reissues.
Old 03-11-20, 07:05 AM

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
I already have the original Paramount BD that was released in 2011 or 2012. I hope these new editions have updated remasters because I don't care for reissues.
According to a press release quoted by bluray.com:
Additional titles scheduled to be released as part of the "Paramount Presents" Blu-ray line include newly remastered editions of Flashdance, Airplane!, and Ghost, as well as several titles arriving on Blu-ray for the first time ever, including Pretty In Pink and The Golden Child.
Old 03-11-20, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts

Whenever they plug something as Remastered, I have to ask what was wrong with the last master? These really should be on 4K.
Old 03-11-20, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Wonder how soon this series will be abruptly canceled, when Paramount comes to the realization that everybody is "waiting" for these titles to slide into dump bin territory.
Old 03-11-20, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 160 Likes on 129 Posts

No doubt it’ll be as successful as the Sapphire Series. All 4 titles.
Old 03-11-20, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 138 Likes on 104 Posts

Are they gonna have spine#s?

I could do with a Blu of Airplane!
Old 03-11-20, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by E Unit View Post
No doubt itíll be as successful as the Sapphire Series. All 4 titles.
Hey, donít short change it. The Sapphire Series got to seven titles.

Actually I read that what happened is that they started it around the time that they came to that agreement with WB to distribute their catalog titles. Maybe this will do better but I kinda doubt it.
Old 03-11-20, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by orangerunner View Post
It's surprising how many fairly high-profile films have never been released on Blu-ray by Paramount, at least in North America.

Pretty in Pink
Some Kind of Wonderful
Golden Child
Harlem Nights
Boomerang
Another 48 Hrs.
Vampire in Brooklyn
Urban Cowboy
Blue Chips
Best Defense
...and so on.
Agree with those, especially Blue Chips, although I would kill for a release of The Parallax View...I actually thought Criterion would've picked that up but I guess they haven't....
Old 03-11-20, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 79 Likes on 62 Posts

I'd like to see an official release of Dr. Cook's Garden (1970).
Old 03-11-20, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86 View Post
Hey, donít short change it. The Sapphire Series got to seven titles.

Actually I read that what happened is that they started it around the time that they came to that agreement with WB to distribute their catalog titles.
Not really. The Sapphire Series started in 2009, and the Warner thing didn't happen until 2012.
Old 03-12-20, 04:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 72 Likes on 57 Posts

In for Blue Chips. Mostly due to the fact I’m trying to get all the Friedkin films.
Old 03-16-20, 01:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 67 Likes on 62 Posts

What about a new remaster for the Godfather movies?

The picture quality is terrible.
Old 03-16-20, 05:31 AM

Received 425 Likes on 296 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca View Post
What about a new remaster for the Godfather movies?

The picture quality is terrible.
Terrible? You must have a shitty setup. The restoration version is great. It will never look demo worthy. It looks like how it was supposed and was supervised by Coppola and Gordon Willis.

Last edited by dex14; 03-16-20 at 05:36 AM.
Old 03-16-20, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 72 Likes on 58 Posts

Here's what the packaging will look like.

The following users liked this post:
Adam Tyner (03-16-20)
Old 03-16-20, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 138 Likes on 104 Posts

Spine numbers!

But seriously, I'll be cherry picking these just like I do for Criterion. It looks nice, but not nice enough to buy movies I'm not interested in.
Old 03-17-20, 10:15 AM

Still not feeling these. These titles are just so pooped-out at this point, and Paramount has far more interesting stuff in its library. That FATAL ATTRACTION pic reminded me of Paramount's "Directors Series" VHS collection back in the 80's (I think?). Might've been on laserdisc, too. It was supposed to be a ongoing series celebrating the studio's "legendary" films, in letterbox format, with fluffy director intros, fancy packaging (big swooshy signatures on the box), maybe other bonuses. I think the boxes had flaps that opened up with production photos inside. Not surprisingly FATAL ATTRACTION was one of the first titles (and google images sez STAR TREK IV and PAPER MOON were included, but seemingly little else). Much like the Sapphire Series years later, I don't recall it ever gaining traction.
Old 03-17-20, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian T View Post
Still not feeling these. These titles are just so pooped-out at this point, and Paramount has far more interesting stuff in its library. That FATAL ATTRACTION pic reminded me of Paramount's "Directors Series" VHS collection back in the 80's (I think?). Might've been on laserdisc, too. It was supposed to be a ongoing series celebrating the studio's "legendary" films, in letterbox format, with fluffy director intros, fancy packaging (big swooshy signatures on the box), maybe other bonuses. I think the boxes had flaps that opened up with production photos inside. Not surprisingly FATAL ATTRACTION was one of the first titles (and google images sez STAR TREK IV and PAPER MOON were included, but seemingly little else). Much like the Sapphire Series years later, I don't recall it ever gaining traction.
Fatal Attraction, Star Trek IV, and Paper Moon indeed had "Directors Series" editions on Laserdisc. Annoyingly, the discs were authored with no chapter stops, which was especially problematic since ST IV and Fatal Attraction both opened with video introductions by the directors that could not be skipped except to fast forward through them.

I opted to purchase the standard edition of ST IV specifically for this reason. It was the same video transfer and still had no chapter stops, but at least the movie would start right away when you played the disc.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.