Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Are you ever influenced by purchases in the "last Blu-ray you bought" thread?

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.
View Poll Results: Are you ever influenced by purchases in the "last Blu-ray you bought" thread?
Yes.
26.67%
No.
53.33%
Other (please specify...)
13.33%
What are you high?
6.67%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-02-20, 11:33 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

last Blu-ray you bought?

I am, of course, always curious as to what other people get. sometimes i see them, look into them a bit, if i never heard of, and get if it seems like something i would enjoy. i have almost never had a bad blind buy (or so i know of as of yet since i have a lot of unwatched).

so do you ever look at another members last bought and decide to get?
Old 03-02-20, 11:34 AM

Re: Are you ever influenced by purchases in the "last Blu-ray you bought" thread?

just recently, i got Standoff at Sparrow Creek bc i saw in that thread mentioned a couple times. looked into it and thought it would be for me. Runaway on Blu-ray is another. of course, i got the wrong one, but Blu-ray nonetheless...
Old 03-02-20, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
Re: Are you ever influenced by purchases in the "last Blu-ray you bought" thread?

Sometimes.
Old 03-02-20, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

I forgot about that thread. Thought that was only reserved for Oldboy.
Old 03-02-20, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 48 Likes on 47 Posts

Once in a while Iíll see something I either didnít know about or forgot about, so yeah I guess Iíll say sometimes.
Old 03-02-20, 03:10 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 71 Likes on 55 Posts

I stopped looking at those vanity/post count threads.
Old 03-02-20, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
I stopped looking at those vanity/post count threads.
r u serious? you really think it's about vanity or padding post counts? i think it's just interesting what people buy. no judgement and just curiosity if anything else and like i said get a recommend or two...
Old 03-03-20, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Occasionally it sparks my interest.
Old 03-03-20, 07:20 PM

Then why would people post in it? Maybe thatís the better question? I dunno, thought this straightforward and relevant...
Old 03-06-20, 05:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Nope
Old 03-07-20, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nope. Don't care what other people are watching.
Old 03-08-20, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I use such threads as a mental catalog of "what NOT to buy".

Furthermore, I keep a mental list of titles released on 4Kbluray as guide of "what NOT to buy".

To severely limit my compulsive OCD impulse buying of generic blurays, I also use a jedi mindfuck of "no 4Kbluray = no sale" to achieve this. (I don't even own a 4Kbluray player, nor any computer bluray-r drives which are capable of reading 4Kbluray movie discs).

Eventually for most of these "no bluray = no sale" and "no 4Kbluray = no sale" titles, I eventually end up watching such movies 2+ years later on basic cable channels or even network tv. I came to the realization that most of these 4Kbluray disc movies were largely mediocre or outright shit.

Old 03-08-20, 11:11 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Rarely, since my chosen genres differ from most here, but occasionally I'll see something that piques my curiosity and I'll look into it further, maybe putting it in a wish list somewhere for future reference. Usually not though.
Old 03-08-20, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by morriscroy View Post
I use such threads as a mental catalog of "what NOT to buy".

Furthermore, I keep a mental list of titles released on 4Kbluray as guide of "what NOT to buy".

To severely limit my compulsive OCD impulse buying of generic blurays, I also use a jedi mindfuck of "no 4Kbluray = no sale" to achieve this. (I don't even own a 4Kbluray player, nor any computer bluray-r drives which are capable of reading 4Kbluray movie discs).

Eventually for most of these "no bluray = no sale" and "no 4Kbluray = no sale" titles, I eventually end up watching such movies 2+ years later on basic cable channels or even network tv. I came to the realization that most of these 4Kbluray disc movies were largely mediocre or outright shit.
You are missing out on some really impressive UHDs.
Old 03-08-20, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
You are missing out on some really impressive UHDs.
Of course.

For the time being and in the forseeable future, I can live with this absence.
Old 03-08-20, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes...only because I forgot a movie was coming out or if the movie had come out awhile back OR if the post were they bought it for a good deal.
Old 03-09-20, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In the past, yes, but not so much any more. I can always count on that thread to see a bunch of obscure horror titles I've never heard of!
Old 03-12-20, 10:26 AM

Received 203 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by Iron_Giant View Post
Yes...only because I forgot a movie was coming out or if the movie had come out awhile back OR if the post were they bought it for a good deal.
"Coming out"? Whoa whoa whoa... Better be careful about that social training!

Last edited by dex14; 03-12-20 at 10:34 AM.